PDA

View Full Version : The Well-trained Mind, or Home Learning -Year by Year, or ????

atkelley
05-01-2007, 09:57 AM
My DS is 6, he will be 7 in Aug. His reading is a little slow as we have struggled with all the Abeka Phonics rules this year. He tells me he hates homeschooling because he has associated it will his Abeka phonics. He enjoys his Saxon math. I bought him the Kingfisher Animal and human body Encyclopedia book and green thumbs as mentioned in TWTM He loves looking at these. I wish I would've trusted my instincts and switched sooner than wanting to switch now. I told him we could repeat 1st grade with a new more fun approach. But now I have to figure out what this approach will be. I'm trying to decide if I should combine some of TWTM with another book I've been reading called Home learning Year by Year(this book looks great to) or If I should try a package curriculum like My father's World or something like Five in a Row. Either way it seems I will have to decide on a phonics program for him. I rented Phonics Pathways from the library and it has some things that looked neat in it like the pyramid. I saw in 100 top picks for Homeschool Curriculum that Happy Phonics would be a good choice for him maybe, they only gave First Language lessons a 2 under the Wiggly Willy. But has anyone had success with this program for there very busy child? I don't want to spend $1000's and still have him unhappy.
This is driving me crazy. I have put so much time into trying to decide. I want him to be happy.
Any suggestions on what you did if you where recently in this similar situation? I know everyone is different and that makes this that much more difficult.

booboo
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
We're using MCP Phonics (modern curriculum press) and my girls love, love it! It goes a bit slower, and moves up gradually. If you go to rainbow resource, get the most recent version - 2003 I think. With the plaid animals on the cover. :mrgreen (I mean if you go that way)

A lot of people here use MFW and absolutely love it. I've even considered it but it's just too expensive for our budget.

Hope I helped a little? :hug

Joanne
05-01-2007, 02:51 PM
This is driving me crazy. I have put so much time into trying to decide. I want him to be happy.

Some advice. Many, many kids are not a match for Abeka. Abeka re-sells well, so I'd re-sell it and invest in something else.

Most importantly, however, is that he's young. The approach and curriculum you choose now is not a contract. :rockon It's a starting place on which to discover *your* homeschool style based on the synergy of your child(ren) and your teaching style.

He's so very young. If he's reading on a basic level at his age, he's doing fine. I'd worry less about "which program or curriculum" and focus on time together, great books enjoyed together, nature walks, the math he likes and trips to the zoo, park, museums.

ArmsOfLove
05-01-2007, 03:04 PM
There are some fantastic reading/phonics programs out there that would be a huge difference to Abeka. Learning Language Arts Through Literature is a great one :)

SueQ
05-02-2007, 03:32 AM
I suggest reading "Teach Your Child to Read Using Children's Books". It has been a God send for me and my 8 yo who struggled with other phonics programs. :hug2 :heart Learning to read using real books rather than phonics readers has been a fun change for him. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought that along with Ruth Beechick's Three R's to teach my children to read. They are the only boks I really would have needed to teach Phonics to my children and are all that I am using now.

WildOlive
05-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I suggest reading "Teach Your Child to Read Using Children's Books". It has been a God send for me and my 8 yo who struggled with other phonics programs. :hug2 :heart Learning to read using real books rather than phonics readers has been a fun change for him. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just bought that along with Ruth Beechick's Three R's to teach my children to read. They are the only boks I really would have needed to teach Phonics to my children and are all that I am using now.

I just got this book and am halfway through it. It seems like a really solid, common sense way to teach reading. I'm really glad I finally broke down and purchased it!