PDA

View Full Version : Aesops Fables/Hans Christian Anderson

Herbwifemama
04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
What is a good book for Aesop's Fables, and Hans Christian Anderson? Anything in particular? I've got a fabulous Grimm's book from my dad, that has the original stories- nothing Disneyfied. I don't mind pictures, but I'd like something not dumbed down- sorry if this is disjointed, I've got a dh and a dd who want my attention- best give it to them! :) TIA!

Mamatoto
04-29-2007, 05:56 PM
Oh, I have a wonderful Hans Christian Andersen book.... "Hans Christian Andersen Favorite Fairy Tales." I'm not sure the ages of your kiddos, but I would wait until close to six and seven to start the Grimm's. My favorite fairy tale book is actually a Jewish folklore book and we love it! :heart

Herbwifemama
04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
What is that Jewish book?

And I have one dd, she's the age of how long I've been nursing in my ticker. :) (I know, we're a bit young to be in the homeschooling forums, we start them at birth ;))

Yeah, I'm not starting the Grimm's yet! Just acquiring. I'd like to reread my favorite Grimm's and get to know them, and learn a few new ones in the next 6 or so years. :)

Punkie
04-30-2007, 08:00 AM
We have been using the Aesop's Fables book that is illustrated by Milo Winter. My 5yo is loving it :) It is the one recommended on the Ambleside Year 0 list.

birthchic
04-30-2007, 03:52 PM
There's a nice, cheap Barnes& Noble Classics edition of Aesop's Fables. There are some B&W illustrations- but it has all of the fables. We use them for retellings- where I will read them one day, my children tell them back to me the next day, they copy what I have written the following day, and finally on the fourth day illustrate what they wrote. They work well because they are short and to the point.

Punkie
04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
I just saw on the Ambleside list that the Milo Winter one is available at Big Lots for $4 right now :)

Winkie
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh, I have a wonderful Hans Christian Andersen book.... "Hans Christian Andersen Favorite Fairy Tales." I'm not sure the ages of your kiddos, but I would wait until close to six and seven to start the Grimm's. My favorite fairy tale book is actually a Jewish folklore book and we love it! :heart
I'm curious about the Jewish folklore book too. :)
Also, who is your H.C.Andersen book authored by? I checked my library & amazon & they didn't have that exact title. TIA!

Winkie
04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
I would definitely preview the Grimm's stories. I got a Grimm's book of original stories when I was a young teenager & I remember being shocked & repulsed by the stories. Not at all close to the Disney versions! I haven't read the book since, but Cinderella stands out in my memory. When the stepsisters try on the glass slipper, their feet are too big, so one of them cuts off her big toe & the other cuts off her heel & the story describes her trying to force her big, bloody foot into the shoe. :sick At least that's what *i* remember of it.

Mamatoto
04-30-2007, 07:21 PM
Also, who is your H.C.Andersen book authored by? I checked my library & amazon & they didn't have that exact title. TIA!

It's authored by Anderssen himself, illustrated by Paul Durand. Golden Press, New York. Copyright 1972. I think I got it on ebay. :think

SueQ
05-02-2007, 03:36 AM
My favorite fairy tale book is actually a Jewish folklore book and we love it!
It sound intriguing! Please tell more! :smile

Winkie
05-02-2007, 04:29 AM
It's authored by Anderssen himself, illustrated by Paul Durand. thanks! now i found it! :)

Mamatoto
05-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's the Jewish book:

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-Along-Path-Folklore-Through/dp/1932065350/ref=sr_1_1/102-2071266-1100158?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178125122&sr=8-1