PDA

View Full Version : Give your Child a Classical Education at Home

malakoa
04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
So far I am loving this book. Are any of you using it? Can we talk?

illinoismommy
04-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Hmm I haven't heard of it. I have read The Well Trained Mind .... and on my list of things to read (its kinda long :O ) is The Latin Centered Curriculum.... so I can't say much about the book but I'd love to talk about classical education so :popcorn

malakoa
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
i think it's the same book. let's talk okay?

illinoismommy
04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
i think it's the same book. let's talk okay?

by Susan Wise Bauer? If so maybe you should make the title The Well Trained Mind because people are familiar with it :)

I'll be back.

LittleSweetPeas
04-29-2007, 02:03 PM
If its Well Trained Mind, I'm in. I loved that book!

illinoismommy
04-29-2007, 02:10 PM
I really liked certain aspects of it. I think the part that most concerned me was that it seemed she wanted to homeschool all morning and then the afternoon as well. I don't want to do that!!

One of the reasons I wanted to homeschool originally is to let my kids play and really experience life and so sitting all day is contrary to that goal. However, there are some things about classical that I like well enough that at this moment I am feeling sort of a Charlotte Mason/Classical type approach forming .... since my son is only approaching 3 I still have lots of time to see how it pans out, isn't it fun.

Maybe I misunderstand it, and TWTM didn't emphasis it as much as I think most classical education does, but on of the cornerstones of Classical is Latin. Correct? Well that's one thing I'm hung up on, I love the idea of doing Latin but I only want to do it if its fun and if I can get the kids to enjoy doing it. Also I don't want to use a lot of curriculum because DH and I want to essentially write it ourselves as we go and sense interest in an area.... but I could maybe live with a Latin curriculum and a math curriculum and thats it :think

malakoa
04-29-2007, 03:41 PM
I bought her preschool curriculum (the one she recommends), and it takes between 5-20 minutes a day.

illinoismommy
04-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I bought her preschool curriculum (the one she recommends), and it takes between 5-20 minutes a day.

The Well Trained Mind? She did not say you needed a preschool curriculum... :scratch

malakoa
04-29-2007, 04:59 PM

The Well Trained Mind? She did not say you needed a preschool curriculum... :scratch

my book is packed, so we very well could be talking about two different things. i hope i'm not totally off or offensive

"Slow and Steady get me Ready" is the book we use on and off. Once we move we'll be using it four days a week. (God willing)

illinoismommy
04-29-2007, 05:02 PM

my book is packed, so we very well could be talking about two different things. i hope i'm not totally off or offensive

"Slow and Steady get me Ready" is the book we use on and off. Once we move we'll be using it four days a week. (God willing)

Okay I just got the book out and on page 41 in its resources it does mention that book. I guess I came to the conclusion I don't need a preschool curriculum :shifty He's learning great, and we'll probably start the classical thing at 6..... until then we're mainly CM type stuff and play play play ;)

malakoa
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
It's probably not too necessary, but both of us love those activities, combined with "Bright Start"

Neither of those are going to make learning Latin easier for her though :-)

illinoismommy
04-29-2007, 05:13 PM
It's probably not too necessary, but both of us love those activities, combined with "Bright Start"

Neither of those are going to make learning Latin easier for her though :-)

What kind of activities are they?

malakoa
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
oh, one had the mommies make ice cubes dyed different food colors. Then we put them in plastic bags and watched the colors swirl together.

another has taking various lids and putting them on the correct pan.

I say "Small, time for school" and she is always glad

(and she's super active and interested in all things)

illinoismommy
04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
That sounds fun, maybe I will make colored ice cubes now :giggle

I was thinking about getting this book The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun and Creative Learning Activities for Kids Ages 3-12 by Linda Dobson ... sometime in the next year.... see if there's anything fun to do... but mainly we are trying to keep good habits, keep him working on the household chores with me, get him plenty of outside exercise.... oh and somehow he has magically learned his letters, numbers, etc already :) .... when he shows an interest in learning to read, then I will look for a book to help him with that....