PDA

View Full Version : First HS conference!

AdrienneQW
04-27-2007, 08:55 AM
I'm heading off to my first homeschooling conference this afternoon - very exciting! As a brand-new homeschooler I'm eagerly anticipating being in one place with lots of like-minded people... hopefully it will be a refreshing change. :rockon

booboo
04-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Cool! Have fun! Which one are you going to? :cool

AdrienneQW
04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
Christian Home Educators - Bay Area (CA) (www.cheaofca.org) I'll also sign up for their SoCal convention in July if I like what I see this weekend. Sadly, I'm always the tiniest bit wary of Christian organizations/events - I've had too many bad experiences with punitive mindsets. :td Hopefully this HSing conference will be an uplifting, positive experience. :heart

hopefromgrace
04-27-2007, 03:27 PM
cool :rockon
you'll have to let us know how it went.....
It's funny b/c I was going to possibly go to that exact same one (we're just outside of santa cruz), but decided against for the same reason you were wary of it :( .....I was worried it might be too punitive(I'm so sensitive to that...) and force a lot of "structured" curriculum (we are planning on doing "relaxed" home/unschooling)
I'm sure it will be great though and hope you have a wonderfull time. :)

AdrienneQW
04-28-2007, 09:04 PM
Checking in from the conference - Grace, next year you will have to come and we can meet up! :)

I am enjoying the conference and will definitely attend again. I almost left after an intro session when they were talking proudly about combating legislation that would take away a parent's "God-given" right to use "biblical discipline" by spanking. :td But I felt called to hang in there, and I'm glad I did. The actual homeschooling stuff was very good, and covered a wide range of styles and approaches. There were more sessions on classical and unit study approaches than any other, but nowhere did I come across a negative attitude about any other method... well, they were a bit down on REALLY STRONG school-at-home, but the points were well-taken IMO. Lots of curriculum offerings, but lots of info on more relaxed topics as well, including a great session on delight-directed study. And I got adorable homeschooling t-shirts! :heart I had such a blast meeting so many homeschooling mamas... I can't wait for the SoCal convention when my DH can attend with me. He needs to hear a lot of this stuff!

hopefromgrace
04-28-2007, 09:27 PM
:rockon :heart

awesome! I am so happy to hear that you are having a good time and learning lots.
I would love to hook up with you at the next HS conference in this area! :yes

Ilaria
04-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Cool! Glad you're having fun! Homeschool conferences are the best :rockon