PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling a Social Bee ??

tnaallen
04-14-2007, 10:58 PM
My 3 year old dd thrives on being with others. She always says she wants to go to school, but she's going off what she sees on tv, or orher things, and once I tell her mommies and daddies don't go to school, she changes her mind really fast. :giggle However, one day will come when she doesn't mind being without us and I wonder if she'll ask to attend regualr school to be with lots of kids. My dh is an extrovert and his batteries get recharged by being with others, and our dd is the same way. How do you meet hose needs while homeschooling? I don't want to be a family who has activities every day of the week, but I want to also make sure we spend time wt others often. And not just same age peers.

Anyone else have a HS social bee? And how do you fill their resevoir?

marathonmom
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
My 3 year old dd thrives on being with others. She always says she wants to go to school, but she's going off what she sees on tv, or orher things, and once I tell her mommies and daddies don't go to school, she changes her mind really fast. :giggle However, one day will come when she doesn't mind being without us and I wonder if she'll ask to attend regualr school to be with lots of kids. My dh is an extrovert and his batteries get recharged by being with others, and our dd is the same way. How do you meet hose needs while homeschooling? I don't want to be a family who has activities every day of the week, but I want to also make sure we spend time wt others often. And not just same age peers.

Anyone else have a HS social bee? And how do you fill their resevoir?

My middle dd is like this. We try to balance having lots of social time for her, with her older sister's need for alone time. It gets tricky sometimes!

Somethings we do to help fill the social needs:
--library day each week
--gym time with other homeschoolers
--kids club at our church
--kids programs at our church on Sundays
--playdates at our house or other's houses
--gymnastics or other classes
--field trips

We are out and about usually 5 out of 7 days a week. It still isn't quite enough for her though - hope that isn't too discouraging.

I would check into homeschool support groups in your area. That may h elp you plug into activities and get to know others
with children her age. We have people with preschoolers visit our support group all the time.

HTH!

AttachedMamma
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Our DD is definitely a social butterfly, and an only child. We belong to a HS co-op that meets once a week. We also do other things like ice-skating, extra curricular activities through the parks and rec dept and activities through our HS support group. For me, it is one of the most challenging aspects of our HS. If she had her way, she would be out playing w/the neighbors all day (good thing they are in ps :phew) I, too, don't want to be running around every day of the week. I provide what social outlets I can for DD, but she has to learn to deal with being alone sometimes. I think that some days it's hard for her, but I'm counting on God to have a plan for her life.