PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about being home all the time

FourCutieBugs
04-11-2007, 11:21 AM
I am a stay at home mom, and when I have strings of days where I don't leave the house I get really panicky. Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me feel like I can't homeschool. I have LOVED having my oldest in school for this reason. It's brought order and structure into our lives. I didn't used to get dressed or even bathe my kids regularly before when we had no where to go. I love the regular contact with others and the being part of something bigger than ourselves. The teacher and principal of the prek are wonderful too. they've helped us to see and work through some issues with our son. He'd be at the same school. It has a wonderful family atmosphere, it's Catholic and so are we, but it's a drive and it's got a hefty pricetag. We've even discussed moving closer to it if we choose that option. That would be a massive change. So the decision is pretty drastic.

Is this something I should be able to work through in order to homeschool? Has anyone else ever dealt with these feelings of being trapped? I have never been able to work through this and have faced it since my first was born 3 months after I graduated from college. I knew then that the hardest thing for me would be losing that daily social contact. So in almost 6 years, I have never found a solution other than school. :(

We're on Easter break right now, and I am thinking about homeschooling next year, and half the time I love the idea,(for all the usual reasons) and the other half it brings on a panic attack.

Sweet Life
04-11-2007, 02:50 PM
:popcorn

But since I'm in a similar boat, may I piggy-back your question? Experienced HS'ers, please help! I am envisioning that we will be out of the house several days (likely just mornings, the younger kids all nap) each week - well at least 2 or maybe 3 - for field trips, storytimes, hikes to really learn and explore and enhance what we are 'learning' in whatever curriculum we choose. We can't possibly sit at home all the time of my rambunctious crew will go nuts long before I do. ;)

Is this realistic? Unrealistic?

Mommyo6
04-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Well most HS'ers I know do not spend enough time at home! We make jokes about how we really car-school, not home school! It is a challenge not to be out too much! You can:

Go to story time at the library
Join 4-H or scouts
Take music lessons
Join a play group
Have a weekly PE class with other HSers
Join a HS coop
Volunteer somewhere with the children
Visit a friends house
Have friends over
Meet hubby for lunch
Sign kids up for sports
Go on field trips
Do your shopping
Art classes

And on and on and on.......

What make you think you will be at home at all ! :mrgreen

FourCutieBugs
04-11-2007, 07:16 PM
What make you think you will be at home at all ! Mr. Green

Well, I guess the fact that I am at home right now. :/ i am trying to envision what homeschooling would be like since we're all home this week. I hate the daily lack of a real need to get dressed in the morning. I know many people consider that an advantage, but the effect it has on me is that I completely lose structure to my day and organization of our stuff, since I don't have to have everything needed to go somewhere.

I am also uncertain about whether or not there will be a group for us to join. there's an enormous one near here which doesn't accept Catholics, and the Catholic one near here is focused mainly on older kids. I have considered trying to start my own and just let anybody in who's homeschooling and needs a group.

Then there are always lessons and sports, but doesn't that always have to be in the evening?

We do meet hubby for lunch alot. That's always a nice way to get out.

And how in the world do you shop during the day?

Mommyo6
04-11-2007, 08:05 PM
Well sports around here do tend to be after school. Music lessons can be anytime.Our music teachers have always LOVED HS'ers cuz thay hate cramming all thier students in after 3:30 and so they will generally even give the kids extra time for free cuz there is often no one after us.
We teach music now and I have guitar classes for HS kids only, at my house at 2 and 3 on Wednesdays. Lots of HS moms here teach assorted lesson in the day. And have coops going.
Our libraries have classes in the day for HSers too. Like geograpyy and literature.

We have 3 HS groups in our town , one evangelical, one no affilition, one Catholic.
Join your Catholic group even if their aren't many littles cuz you may have to be the first one to inspire more to come! Maybe there are more young families just waiting in the wings wishing someone else would be the first to join! Make SURE the other group does not accept Catholics , a lot of false rumors go around about HS groups that are not true...gossip. I know this from experience with leadership in my gourp. Only believe this if you have heard it for a leaders mouth! :yes Make a phone call. Once I met a lady who said to me "Oh you belong to the HS group where everyone must use the same curriculum and sign an agreement to do so." You should have seen my jaw drop. The families in our group use all kinds of stuff from unschool to strict conformists! She had not joined our group because of this bizarre rumor! So thet is why I say make sure for yourself as this is only one story I could tell you!

Shopping?? I don't know, I just always have. The stores are so much emptier in the AM, I can load up the kids and get it done with no crowds. When mine were little I'd use the huge carts with the extra seats and I could put 4 in the cart. I'd feed them well before we went, so no hungries would strike, have a plan of action and promise a treat IF they were not whining for stuff. Then maybe we'd go to McDonald's after. I'd take a cooler for cold stuff sometimes so we could stop for 1/2 hour ar McDonalds or such. Or buy them fruit snacks or something not on the budget usually for when we got home. I always enjoyed it.

You can have a need to get dressed in the morning if you make the decision that it is required going out or not too! (I don't thougth!) It is really your choice. Just have a morning routine and stick to it.

Joanne
04-16-2007, 06:11 AM
If what you need is accountability and structure, you can find those.

Since being a Catholic homeschooler has some unique aspects, I'd start with finding a yahoo group or message board (don't leave *here*, though) to talk about people's experience in finding inclusive support and activity.

inesperada
04-16-2007, 06:15 AM
(((((Margaret))))) I have the very same feelings. I cannot go even 24 hours without leaving my house at least once, let alone a few days in a row. Abbott and I have been getting out since the day I brought him home from the hospital.

I certainly don't have any experience going out with four children, and I bet it's way harder than just one. :hug2 I wanted you to know that I understand your feelings, though. I think joining a co-op or finding one activity a few times/week like story hour would be helpful.

FourCutieBugs
04-20-2007, 07:48 PM
I for some reason, didn't get an indication that there were any new responses to this thread. sorry! I'm glad i checked it.

Well sports around here do tend to be after school. Music lessons can be anytime.Our music teachers have always LOVED HS'ers cuz thay hate cramming all thier students in after 3:30 and so they will generally even give the kids extra time for free cuz there is often no one after us.
We teach music now and I have guitar classes for HS kids only, at my house at 2 and 3 on Wednesdays. Lots of HS moms here teach assorted lesson in the day. And have coops going.
Our libraries have classes in the day for HSers too. Like geograpyy and literature.

We have 3 HS groups in our town , one evangelical, one no affilition, one Catholic.
Join your Catholic group even if their aren't many littles cuz you may have to be the first one to inspire more to come! Maybe there are more young families just waiting in the wings wishing someone else would be the first to join! Make SURE the other group does not accept Catholics , a lot of false rumors go around about HS groups that are not true...gossip. I know this from experience with leadership in my gourp. Only believe this if you have heard it for a leaders mouth! nodding head yes Make a phone call. Once I met a lady who said to me "Oh you belong to the HS group where everyone must use the same curriculum and sign an agreement to do so." You should have seen my jaw drop. The families in our group use all kinds of stuff from unschool to strict conformists! She had not joined our group because of this bizarre rumor! So thet is why I say make sure for yourself as this is only one story I could tell you!

Thank you for the advice. I did go the the group's website, and it does require members to sign a statement saying they agree with the statement of faith which contains ideas contrary to our Catholic beliefs. :( My dh is right I think to say that it would compromise our integrity to sign such a thing. I think I will join the catholic group as you suggest and just make the best of it. I can't seem to find the inclusive group. It's website has 'expired'. :shrug I am paying about this issue of lack of homeschooling support and resources in our area.

I also HOPE I can find during the day lessons. I have a friend who used to teacch violin to hsers during the day. but I don't think she does it anymore since she had a baby.

If what you need is accountability and structure, you can find those.

Since being a Catholic homeschooler has some unique aspects, I'd start with finding a yahoo group or message board (don't leave *here*, though) to talk about people's experience in finding inclusive support and activity.

I won't leave here. :) This is a wonderful group. Thank you.

(((((Margaret))))) I have the very same feelings. I cannot go even 24 hours without leaving my house at least once, let alone a few days in a row. Abbott and I have been getting out since the day I brought him home from the hospital.

I certainly don't have any experience going out with four children, and I bet it's way harder than just one. :hug2 I wanted you to know that I understand your feelings, though. I think joining a co-op or finding one activity a few times/week like story hour would be helpful.

Thank you, it's nice to have the sympathy. :)

Littledisciples
04-20-2007, 08:03 PM
:hug2 I don't drive so getting out of the house is a waiting thing. I hate when the weather is cold I can't walk or get out. I got out of my house one time this week that was today to go to the counsler for DD. Oh I suppose twice couse Church Last Sunday. Not fun being stuck in. I do homeschool but its not a big deal I am always here no way to get out. Nothing but hugs couse I don't know how to help ya.

Singingmom
04-21-2007, 05:35 AM
If you plan an activity for each afternoon, you'll need to get dressed on a schedule in the morning so you can get your schoolwork done, have lunch, and get out of the house in good time. Even if you have something planned without a set start time like going to the library and stopping by the grocery store, you'll still want to get back in time to do afternoon chores and start dinner. At least that's how it works for us. :)

FourCutieBugs
04-21-2007, 07:14 AM
If you plan an activity for each afternoon, you'll need to get dressed on a schedule in the morning so you can get your schoolwork done, have lunch, and get out of the house in good time. Even if you have something planned without a set start time like going to the library and stopping by the grocery store, you'll still want to get back in time to do afternoon chores and start dinner. At least that's how it works for us. :)

Aha! I think this routine would work for us. I tend to get alot more done if I have specific limits on when it has to be done by. Thank you!