PDA

View Full Version : pulling from public school NOW?!

Happy Mom
04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Is this possible? Can I pull my 1st grader now, even though I cant file my affidavit until October? I am pulling my Kindergartener, but I dont have to report her yet...what do I do about my almost 7 year old? (I'm in CA)....

Please help me sort this out. It's all just going so terribly there and I dont want him spending another day there. :cry

Heather Micaela
04-11-2007, 12:59 AM
WOW - good question It seems that if you cant file till oc but school starts after labor day (or even before) then even *next* school year you will be HS unofficially at first.

First of all, do not tell school officials (public or private) that you will be homeschooling as they will probably tell you that it is illegal to do so. It is not. There are a number of ways to legally educate your child at home and unfortunately, many school personnel are not aware of these options.

Simply tell the school that you will be removing your child from school and that he/she will be attending a private school, who will be requesting the student's cumulative files. Turn in any school books and pay any outstanding fees ... that is it! It is best to not offer a lot of details as to why you are removing your child from their school. You want your departure to be as amiable as possible.

What if you have already blown off steam and told the school principal that you plan to homeschool? Has irreparable harm been done? Probably not. If you are asked if you still plan to homeschool, respond that you have reconsidered your previous position and have located a wonderful private school (they don't necessarily need to know that the "school" is in your home). Another useful (and truthful) response is: "We have found a private school that will better meet our child's needs. The school does offer an independent study program which is an option we intend to investigate further."http://www.bayshoreeducational.com/remove.html

caringmommy
04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
If things aren't going well then I would definitely pull him out. Another great resourse is California homeschool network. http://californiahomeschool.net/default.htm If your feeling unsure, I'd call one of the contacts on their list for some advice. They are a great group. You don't have to be a member to get advice. We're not in CA anymore but when we were there I got a lot of great info from them.

Dana Joy
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
i've pulled a 6th grader and a 7th grader out right about this time of the year.
i filed the paperwork from the state as a private school for the current school year.
it was a nonissue

Joanne
04-11-2007, 08:20 PM
The HSLDA will have the official info for you. But you you need/want them out, pull them.