PDA

View Full Version : Wow

illinoismommy
04-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh my there's so much to read up on ... sometimes I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities ..... how can I give my child a Waldorf Montessori Charlotte Mason Classical Unschooling experience!?!?! :O

Seriously though.... I like all those, and sometimes it seems there are more possibilities than time!! How do you sort it all out?

heartofjoy
04-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey Janet! How's Maya? She's so cute btw.

I decided to homeschool when my oldest was 2. I felt the same way. First I wanted to use Abeka because that's what everyone else used. Then I started reading and discovered Classical education and decided that was the way to go. Then I read about unschooling and decided that was even better. But by the time Lacy was 5, I realized that unschooling wouldn't work for me because I am lazy and I am a results-oriented person. I found Sonlight and fell in love. But I bought it too early so I haven't used it for the last 3 years. During that time I found Charlotte Mason and I've followed her ideas. Did Ambleside Online for a while, and my own thing the rest of the time. This Sept. I am going back to Sonlight with my oldest two. :giggle

All that to say that as you read more and as you experiement with "preschooling" you will figure out which style suits you best and what types of curriculums will work best with you and your kids. You'll know more once you actually start using the stuff. But keep on reading. I know it's been hard for me to come to terms with the idea that my kids won't be getting a true Classical, unschooling, hands-on, or Charlotte Mason education. The only style I don't regret chucking is the textbook, school-at-home style. Just not gonna work for me. :no

illinoismommy
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah and then there's the "real" books style... I don't remember who that falls under, but I'm sold-- no textbooks :giggle

mamahammer
04-07-2007, 06:03 AM
:popcorn

AttachedMamma
04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I think that as you go along, you'll see what works best for you and your DC and adapt it to your family. That's what I like best about HSing...I pick and choose what I like about each style (like a buffet :giggle) and create my own style. Plus, I like the variation. I, personally, would get bored using one style and so would our 6.5yo DD. I like a lot of the styles you mentioned and they are integrated into our style: art, nature, gardening (plenty of outdoor time, in the dirt) imaginative play, manipulatives, building w/legos, blocks, sorting, organizing, literature, board games, cards, learning through everyday experience, cooking, to name a few things etc. Not for everyone, but it works for us for now. I'm sure every year will be different. We'll learn as we go. :mrgreen

Soliloquy
04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
ITA w/ the PP. You'll find what works for you. :yes