PDA

View Full Version : book -- questions... Charlotte Mason?

illinoismommy
04-04-2007, 10:53 AM
A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. Has anyone read this? Is it good?

Also For The Children's Sake by Macaulay?

I want a book thats about the Charlotte Mason method ..... We are of course still exploring our options :tu

illinoismommy
04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
OR.... The Charlotte Mason Companion by Karen Andreola :giggle

Punkie
04-04-2007, 11:08 AM
They're all good :) The Levinson book is more of a pamphlet. Definitely just check it out from the library - you'll breeze through it in a day. It has a lot of good how-to info. The Andreola book describes their day-to-day life in detail, but it is quite thick. For the Children's Sake is also wonderful. I've read them all and liked them all for different reasons.

If you're really interested, then I'd highly suggest reading Charlotte Mason's works. You can read them in modern english on the Ambleside page, although I think they are very readable in the original language as well.

Leslie
04-04-2007, 05:14 PM
A Charlotte Mason Education by Catherine Levison. Has anyone read this? Is it good?

Also For The Children's Sake by Macaulay?

I want a book thats about the Charlotte Mason method ..... We are of course still exploring our options :tu

Those are both excellent, and Penny Gardner's Charlotte Mason Study Guide is also really helpful.

heartofjoy
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I LOVE For the Children's Sake. :heart It touches me every time I read it. (3 times now!)

illinoismommy
04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Okay I haven't gotten there yet, life with a babe and all, but if you were to recommend just ONE book that pretty well covers charlotte mason and NOT online (its easier for me to read a book than sit at the computer actually) what book would you say I should read??

Leslie
04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
Okay I haven't gotten there yet, life with a babe and all, but if you were to recommend just ONE book that pretty well covers charlotte mason and NOT online (its easier for me to read a book than sit at the computer actually) what book would you say I should read??

If not CM's books themselves, how about a summary edition (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1411654811/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/002-3113035-6353607?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) that tells you what's in all of CM's original books? This is a paperback version of the text that's online (http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/Summaries.html). It goes through page by page, summarizing exactly what she said herself. I'm not just saying this because it's my own book, but if you really want to get a general idea of what CM was suggesting and why, not someone else's interpretation, without reading all six volumes, this seems like a useful option.

fourbygrace
04-20-2007, 09:36 PM
If not CM's books themselves, how about a summary edition (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1411654811/ref=cm_rv_thx_view/002-3113035-6353607?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance) that tells you what's in all of CM's original books? This is a paperback version of the text that's online (http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/Summaries.html). It goes through page by page, summarizing exactly what she said herself. I'm not just saying this because it's my own book, but if you really want to get a general idea of what CM was suggesting and why, not someone else's interpretation, without reading all six volumes, this seems like a useful option.

I think this is a great suggestion and I don't even know Leslie :mrgreen, but I do appreciate all the hard work she has done trying to get CM's original ideas to be more accessible to us all.

I think For the Children's Sake is good to get the first taste of CM.

Blessings,
Mary

illinoismommy
05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Ok so first I started the huge 6 volume collection on amblesideonline .... then I said THIS IS TOO LONG and I printed out the summaries -- which I haven't gotten to yet :shifty

I started For The Children's Sake already and it really strikes a chord in me.... short lessons, respecting the child, reading great literature.... definitely I want to do this :heart

heartofjoy
05-07-2007, 12:22 PM
I started For The Children's Sake already and it really strikes a chord in me.... short lessons, respecting the child, reading great literature.... definitely I want to do this :heart

I just love this book. :heart Did i already say that? :mrgreen It is constantly affirming WHY we should teach this way, as well as having sections on HOW to teach all the major subject areas. It's not overly long or difficult either, so it's perfect for me to pick up and read at this season of my life in which I have little time for reading.