PDA

View Full Version : Should I plant or wait?--cold front

abbzchld
04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I just bought flowers for my window boxes and outside planters.

Our temps have been high but we're getting a cold front this weekend (well, cold for SC!). Saturday night could drop to 28 degrees. So...do I plant and cover or wait? The plants are in my house at risk for mauling by babe or dog. They are in tiny pots. I've never had success in keeping flowers inside. I'm afraid I'll (or babe or dog) will kill them by Monday! But will the cold kill them on Saturday?

And if you say plant...do I cover them on the cold night? How do I cover? What do I use?

And did I mention my thumb is not green? :O

summertimeshine
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I suggest not planting them...esp if frost is a possibility. On top of the fridge? Do you have a porch? because even close to the house, covered w/ a dry towel is good. If you do plant them you can 'tent' them w/ plastic or wrap w/ burlap, but you most becareful if the fabric is wet cause it could freeze.

Naked Camper
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I have plants already in pots and in the ground. It dropped below freezing last night and I didn't realize it was going to do so. I got them covered this morning, but it was too late for most of my basil :(

TuneMyHeart
04-04-2007, 10:41 AM
I would wait to plant them and just put them out of reach inside for the time being. If you need to plant to keep them out of reach from the baby or dog, I would cover them with plastic or a blanket. Plastic is good because it doesn't smush the plants as much.

morninglory
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
im here in sc too.....im waiting until next week to put my plants in the garden, we still have plenty time mama, so no worries.....if you dont mind me asking where in sc are you? im in florence, a little west of myrtle beach. good to meet another south carolinian. :mrgreen

abbzchld
04-04-2007, 12:14 PM
im here in sc too.....im waiting until next week to put my plants in the garden, we still have plenty time mama, so no worries.....if you dont mind me asking where in sc are you? im in florence, a little west of myrtle beach. good to meet another south carolinian. :mrgreen

Oh hi! I'm in the Upstate--as close to the mountains as I can get. :heart

Lady TS
04-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I vote for wait, because it'd really be a bummer to have them all freeze!

abbzchld
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Ok...going with the consensus. I like the top of the fridge idea. Just need to clean it off first! Hopefully I can manage to keep them alive through the weekend.