PDA

View Full Version : Classical Education Questions

MamaKanga
04-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Hey girls, My DS will be 5 this summer, and I've decided to HS for Kindergarten. After that he will attend a Classical Christian School. In considering various methods for HS next year, I am contemplating the classical approach and starting to investigate it more. Questions--

1. Is anyone here using classical methods to educate their child? If so, what are your reasons? What are the advantages & disadvantages? Do you make any modifications? Any advice or tips for me?

2. If you feel strongly that a classical approach is NOT ideal for kindergarten, why? Part of me thinks it's "too much" for such a young child. But then I do understand that at this age they are sponges, and I want ds to soak up all he can...

3. Any books that you would recommend I read? Someone recommended "The Well-Trained Mind" but I haven't ordered it yet.

Any other thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share. I am very new to this world of HS and want to learn all I can. Thanks! :heart

Mommyo6
04-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Well I see noone answered you so I thought I 'd try! We do a modifed classical "at times"... how is that for confusing! :scratch And I have read lots of books on it! I much prefer the Bluedorns approach than the Bauers, (Well Trained Mind) it is much more laidback. Try reading thru their web site and see waht you think. I think the WTM is too much adn would drive me crazy and be way too intensive with more than one child. The Bluedorns allow for more age integrated stuff. read thier 10 things to do with a child before age 10.

www.triviumpursuit.com/index.php

If you are really going to put him in a school later you will want to find out what he will need to know to slide into that school successfully without being lost.

Classical education makes children into thinkers and I love that. I love that you teach to the stage your child's mind is at, I think that is the best aspect and one the Bluedorn's really teach well. But I don't like the type of classical program that almost worships the Greek and Roman...hey they weren't that great and their civilizations ended! We can learn a lot from them but let's not overdo it, is my thoughts. Some school's programs go way too far in ancient "worship".

I personally am too eclectic and like to be too flexible (read flaky) to be only one method so I incorporate many of the ideas but not stcrictly . We tried Latin and tossed it after a year when none of us could really see the point...a travesty to true Classical Ed folks! :jawdrop
But I try to use the age guideline fors types of learning my kiddos are engaged in and we do a lot of history....world history/ancient history.

Mommyo6
04-11-2007, 07:05 AM
You know I think you'd get more answers if you bumped this to the o home school board. :yes

Punkie
04-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Would you like me to move it?

MamaKanga
04-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, thanks Amanda.

And mommyof6, thanks for the response. I'm off to read your link!

teamommy
04-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, if you read the WellTrained Mind, the Bauers do not recommend a formal kindergarten program. For kindergarten they stress teaching the child to read with a phonics-based approach, and reading books from the library. For math, counting through daily life, and reading a math literature book a week from the library. And that's pretty much it. I realize that TWTM is not the last word on classical ed., but I don't know that any Christian classical ed. book recommends anything really heavy for kindergarten.

I too will have a kindergartener this fall. I think I am more interested in Charlotte Mason's method now, but I do have TWTM as a reference and also have looked into a classical Christian school. I think if I knew for sure that my dc would be going to a certain school, I would want to know what the school expected an incoming student to know or be accustomed to, for a given grade, so that I could slant my homeschool in that direction. I am still learning like you, though. :)

illinoismommy
04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
We do hope to use some of the parts of classical education that we like, but I don't see implementing much in kindergarten.... we'd like David to learn to read, but only if he is ready so we will be watching that. But from what I've read about classical it does seem most people start it at 6/1st grade :shrug