PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wear both older DC and baby at same time?

WI Mama05
03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
and how do you do it :think? I've worn them both seperately, but can't quite figure out how it would work together. I have a 3.5 yo and a 1 yo. I have an ergo, a wrap and a ring sling.

zak
03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
:popcorn

I had a friend with children who were 2 years apart... she'd Ergo the older on her back and ring sling (Maya, I think) her babe.

I'm interested in this as well.

Quiteria
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
:popcorn I'm going to be desperately intersted in this when the baby is born in 6 months.

I'm thinking of the older one on my back in the MT since that's the most comfortable now, and then the new one in a pouch or RS in the front...but I can't quite figure out whether to put that on first or last?? Put the pouch on, then ds in MT, then baby in pouch? But I have to do the hip scoot sliding ds around my waist to get him on my back (never mastered flinging him over my shoulder) so I think that would mess it all up. :think Maybe a front carry in my wrap...oooh I can't wait to try that with a newborn. Didn't have a wrap until ds was older. But speaking of which, maybe that would work best for your ages....3yr old on back in MT, then 1yr front wrapped next as long as your wrap is long enough to accomodate the mt under it.

BeckaBlue
03-29-2007, 08:45 PM
:raise

always put the first one on your back...usually it's gonna be the heaviest child on back, but if that heaviest child is the one sleeping...well...it can turn outlike this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/APmama2mad/P1010075.jpg
thats nik at roughly 15mo and abs at roughly 2.5.
i DO NOT recommend using 2 slings :O it kills your shoulder to have 60-70lbs on weighing down from front and back, if you can do from eaqch should it's not as bad, but i always got confused trying that :giggle
my preferred is a wrap/mei tai on the back and a ring sling in front, but i can't find my pic of that

you can also do a ring sling on each shoulder with a hip carry, but i personally think that works better for 2 kids of roughly the same size/weight

MotherSong
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
In the early months postpartum after my DS was born, I wore DD on my back in an Ergo or Kozy or mei tai and DS in front in a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch. It was hard / they got heavy / but having happy babies even at 4 PM made it worthwhile once in a while. Hey--desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

I think the Kozy carrier webpage has a picture of carrying two babies with 2 Kozys.

Happy Slinging,
MotherSong

WI Mama05
03-30-2007, 07:12 AM
but I can't quite figure out whether to put that on first or last?? Put the pouch on, then ds in MT, then baby in pouch? But I have to do the hip scoot sliding ds around my waist to get him on my back (never mastered flinging him over my shoulder) so I think that would mess it all up. :think Maybe a front carry in my wrap...
\

That's what I can't quite figure out. What goes where and who goes first :lol

mamahammer
03-30-2007, 10:16 AM
I have had my 3yo on my back in the Beco and the 19mo in front in either my wrap or my ring sling. With the new baby I expect I'll have the toddler on my back in either the Beco or the wrap and baby in front in either a ring sling or wrap.

If I am wrapping one of the kids, I put them on first, regardless of whether they are front or back. Always wrap first. And then I can do the Beco or sling.

If I am doing a sling in front, I put the sling on first without the child in it. Then I put the Beco and accompanying child on my back. And then put the front child into the sling.

tempus vernum
03-30-2007, 12:22 PM
I posted this to a yahoo group recently

I have lots of suggestions on the subject as my 2 eldest are 19 months apart. When #3 came along, #2 was very sick with a health condition that tires him out very quickly. While he's 5 and heavy, I have successfully carried him and the "baby" who is now 16 months.

Let me know if this is confusing or you need more info!

In my opinion, the most important rule is to always put the older baby on first. I think it's safer because of the jostling of getting the second baby in the sling won't hurt undeveloped necks.

Second, be sure you have successfully done each carry before doing two (i.e. don't have the first time you wear your toddler on your back be with 2 children.).

When the baby is small, the easiest way to wear them at the same time is toddler on the back, newborn on the front.

options I can think of:
*2 ring slings (can be used on each hip when baby is older)
*2 mei tais (one front/one back)
*1 wrap/1 ring sling
*1 mei tai/1 ring sling

For two ring slings, put one on each shoulder (the sling you use for the toddler should be under the infant's sling). Then put the toddler in and secure. Next, put baby in and secure. Process is same for each child on one hip when baby is older.

2 mei tais, I haven't done but if I were doing it I'd be sure older baby was on back and younger baby on front. I would tie both waist straps and tie the toddler on using backpack straps OR crossing over chest. For front baby, I would use backpack straps.

for one ring sling and one mei tai. Tie waist strap on mei tai and let body of carrier flop down in back. Put ring sling on and make sure rings are where you want them. Strap older child onto back securely. Put infant on next. A nice thing about this carry is that when infant is older, it can be shifted off to the side in a partial hip carry and kids can play or hold hands or love on each other.

a wrap and a ring sling. Put ring sling on making sure that rings are where you want them. Wrap toddler on your back. Put infant in the ring sling.

*experiment and don't give up - YOU CAN DO IT! Honestly, I didn't know it was possible to wear two babies when I started wearing them both. I had no babywearing support. I just did it. I followed Dr. Sear's directions in the baby book and it felt right to keep carrying baby #1 cuz she was still a baby herself!

I wish I could offer to come to a meeting and show you but my son's health condition requires us to avoid indoor crowds or gatherings of small children because he has a suppressed immune system. If we did an outdoor playdate sometime, I'd be happy to show you these things:)

tempus vernum
03-30-2007, 12:23 PM
The person then asked about getting toddlers in and out of the carriers

I found with my elder two children that are so close together the toddler wanted to be held every time the infant was held so it solved that problem FOR us.

For the ring slings you can easily get the toddler off your back without jostling the baby. It would be the getting them back on that could be the problem. To get a toddler off your back with one hand secure the infant and bend forward so that your back is parallel to the floor. Then slip bottom rail over toddlers bottom. Put hand on leg and shift the toddler to your hip . Crouch down and slide them to the floor. That sounds complicated but it's actually pretty easy unless your toddler can't be put down on its feet to walk.

It occurred to me I also wore my toddler and infant with the toddler on my hip and the infant in a cradle hold. I forgot about that as it's been 5 years since I wore them ALL the time. now when I wear them it's a 5 year old and a 16 month old so the dynamics are considerably differnt.

Mama Rophe
04-09-2007, 06:44 PM
I have done two MT's. Oldest on my back and baby on my front. I put the baby on first so I could easily get the oldest off if he wanted to.

Quiteria
04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Jodi, that helps a lot! And Laura, you too...I'll have to experiment with who's easier first with MTs. :think Probably depend on baby's age.

Mama Rophe
04-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, J was about 8 months when I started using 2 MT. (really no reason other than that is when I made them) I'm sure it would work differently with a really small one.

MaiMama
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
I haven't read all the replies, but I did this at the post office. I wrapped 4mo DS on the front FWCC, then put 29lb 2yo DD on back in mei tai with..what kind of carry? rucksack i guess--backpack straps under bum, then in front uner ds bum, with lower straps. dd was more likely to get down, but ds was in stretchhy, so could have popped out if needed.