PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for us - HS

AdrienneQW
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
We found out today DS got into kindergarten at our parish school. :td DH is adamantly anti-homeschooling, and I am adamantly anti-compulsory schooling. Great match, huh? :( We agreed that we would go through the application process for kindergarten in Feb/March in order for our debate to be a "level playing field" - school wouldn't really be an option to discuss if we didn't do the application process, kwim? So we did it, and I was secretly hoping and praying that DS would not get in - that would have ended the debate right there and he would be home with me where he belongs.

Well, no such luck. DS did in fact get accepted, and they have to have our answer by Wednesday. :td I had the sinking feeling that going through the process was going to end up being a bad idea, and turns out I was right. Sending DS to school has now become the "default position", and it's going to be even harder to sway DH to my point of view.

Things are about to get ugly. :cry Prayers greatly appreciated.

SueQ
03-26-2007, 04:11 PM
:hug2 :pray2 :heart

Carlashelle
03-26-2007, 05:18 PM
I feel for you. I have a K boy, too. Thankfully, dh believes our school system is "fundamentally flawed" and is supportive of me hsing. Have you read books by John Taylor Gatto or any other hsing books?

AdrienneQW
03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Have you read books by John Taylor Gatto or any other hsing books?

Absolutely - "Dumbing Us Down" was instrumental in me forming the opinion that the entire notion of compulsory schooling is fundamentally flawed. I'm a voracious reader and have read at least 20-30 homeschooling books (Gatto, most of Holt's work, Well Trained Mind, and on and on and on. Just finished Allison McKee's "Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves" which I loved, and am about to start "Things We Wish We'd Known").

kiloyd
03-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh, i was in the similar situation last year. Amazingly dh agreed to hsing for this year. But we haven't yet talked about it for next year. I very much want to. I have been praying that if it is God's will for our son then dh will agree again to hsing for another year.

I will pray for you and your dh.

wombmate3
03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
:pray2

We just had the identical situation here. I applied months ago for Gabe and Hannah at our parish school. They called me several weeks ago to tell me they were both accepted and I had less than a week to decide. DH is less than completely adament, but he pushed me really hard to put them in. I prayed a lot and feel very strongly that homeschooling is what we need to be doing. There are so many aspects of both public and private (and especially Catholic) school I am uncomfortable with.

Dh decided to give to my strong feelings. I hope your does the same.