PDA

View Full Version : Is There a Test Somewhere?

Marsha
03-26-2007, 12:20 PM
My dd (five in June) reads by both sight and phonics. We have a lot of gaps in the blending area, etc. but I expect her to pick it up rapidly. She is reading very well even with not being taught.
In math, she understands concepts such as fewer/more, sequencing, smaller/larger, and counts to 100 (and understands what she is counting, in other words the numbers mean something to her)
She could use a LOT more practice in writing her letters. So far, it's mostly in caps when it's free writing or she will copy what her workbook says to do.
I konw she is very young. But all the kindergarten stuff I look at, looks just like more of the same stuff she is doing in preK, only up to # 20 instead of #10, reading three letter words with short vowel sounds and so on. She is like way past that.
I hate though to plunge her right into first grade stuff because I don't want to turn her off or bore her or burn her out or any of those other horrid things.
Is there an aptitude test out there somewhere we could have her take?

2ds1dd
03-26-2007, 01:53 PM
The CAT starts at K I believe.

jghomeschooler
03-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Hmmmm, some curriculum sites have placement tests, to help determine what level to start your child with.