PDA

View Full Version : interesting set of articles today in the paper

LittleSweetPeas
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
So two articles were in my local paper. One was a national study indicating that children in full time daycare for a minimum of a year are shown to have more behavior problems, especially noted in a classroom setting. The second was an article reading that many (specifically low performing) schools are looking to extend the school day by as much as an hour.

Does anyone else see the disconnect here? I guess I will never ever get why parents/teachers/government think that somehow leaving your children somewhere longer will be beneficial to them. If teachers are already struggling with an increase in behavior problems why would you extend that day assuming learning would occur? And if learning isnt already occuring in classrooms in the six hours they are there then what in the world is an extra hour going to accomplish?

I thought about posting this elsewhere but just decided to stick it here so as not to offend mama's who are choosing PS.

I was a PS teacher and my students hardly learned a thing in the 100 minutes I had three sets of them for each day. I was too busy trying to control kids and deal with school related issues to teach much of anything and the variance in abilities led me to have to aim for somewhere below middle meaning more than 50% of my students were probably bored silly. But why worry about that 50% when I need to show an increase in assessment scores for the remaining 50%. :rolleyes The "on target" 50% would score just fine regardless of how much extra content was taught.

Ugh. Just venting. Its ludicrous.

Leslie
03-26-2007, 01:36 PM
A friend of mine posted about the longer school days on her blog. She said, "If a little poison isn't working, try a lot." :lol

LittleSweetPeas
03-26-2007, 01:44 PM
:giggle

I just keep adding to my list of reasons to HS the kids.

And I have to wonder if parents are even interested in parenting anymore or if they're just really that willing to hand over their kids to the government at age five. Pretty soon our kids will be going to school longer than most adults work in a day. :rolleyes

allisonintx
03-26-2007, 02:20 PM
When my dd was in Charter School, and scored low on the 'benchmark' pre-test for the state mandated testing, the teacher wanted me to leave her after school for two extra hours to work on it.

I refused.

She got very high marks on her actual state test with no extra work.

jghomeschooler
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I saw this online today, and think it's a bit relevant here LOL:

NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND---THE FOOTBALL VERSION

1. All teams must make the state playoffs and all MUST win the
championship. If a team does not win the championship, they will be
on
probation until they are the champions, and coaches will be held
accountable. If, after two years, they have not won the championship
their footballs and equipment will be taken away UNTIL they do win
the
championship.

2. All kids will be expected to have the same football skills at the
same time even if they do not have the same conditions or
opportunities to practice on their own. NO exceptions will be made
for
lack of interest in football, a desire to perform athletically, or
genetic abilities or disabilities of themselves or their parents. ALL
KIDS WILL PLAY FOOTBALL AT A PROFICIENT LEVEL!

3. Talented players will be asked to work out on their own, without
instruction. This is because the coaches will be using all their
instructional time with the athletes who aren't interested in
football, have limited athletic ability or whose parents don't like
football.

4. Games will be played year round, but statistics will only be kept
in the 4th, 8th, and 10th game. It will create a New Age of Sports
where every school is expected to have the same level of talent and
all teams will reach the same minimum goals. If no child gets ahead,
then no child gets left behind. If parents do not like this new law,
they are encouraged to vote for vouchers and support private schools
that can screen out the non-athletes and prevent their children from
having to go to school with bad football players.

LittleSweetPeas
03-26-2007, 02:27 PM
state tests are a bunch of hooey. I cant tell you the countless hours we would spend in the spring doing test review. I think if we would've converted those hours to actual teaching of content their scores would've risen just as much.

I would literally pass out a test booklet to each student at the beginning of the period. We would do ten sets of questions and then go over each one.

1.)The oven is hot.

Identify the noun in this sentence.
a. the
b. oven
c. is
d. hot

And then we would review what a noun was, how to identify nouns, etc. What a waste. :rolleyes

And the "fill in practice". I would pass out pencils to each student and we would practice filling in test bubbles. :laughtears It was very important that the students filled them in with no. 2 pencil and very dark. We showed them what marks were not okay and how to erase properly.

Okay, I've gotta stop. I just hated that time of the year. 10 weeks of test prep and then a week of actual testing. The kids were SO stressed out and the teachers irritated at what a waste of time it was. And then in the fall when the test results came home....all hell broke loose and the parent tirades...I mean phone calls....began.

Eowyn
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
The above post is exactly why DH refuses to teach a benchmark year.

LittleSweetPeas
03-26-2007, 08:30 PM
:yes