PDA

View Full Version : Here's what we have decided curriculum wise so far for next year? SO excited!!

Quietspirit
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Our state's big HS convention was this weekend. I purchased some of our curriculum there as I didn't want to pay shipping, etc. I am SO excited! This represents a big change for us in curriculum as we went with Oak Meadow exclusively in 4th grade, then a mix with mainly OM for 5th & 6th grade. I've finally chosen to go fully eclectic for 7th grade. This is what we will be doing:

*Story of the World Volume 3 with some Sonlight readers to supplement. Also will be doing a weekly writing based on Pudewa course pertaining to the History reading of that week. (bought this weekend)

*Igniting Your Writing Volume 1 (bought this weekend) --- I love this! It's quick, painless and a good way to practice writing skills. It is multi-level within one book and is cost effective. You could use if for multiple children or one child...all for quite a few years. :)

*Christian Light Education Reading 6 (bought this weekend) --- I love CLE. Their curriculum is simple, honest, and values oriented. It is a bit workbooky but I was looking for a good basic Reading program that was cost-effective. It works very nicely!

*Oak Meadow Math 7 (will be buying this in the Spring during OM's annual sale) --- I love their math! It's straightforward, not too much, and my son can do much of it on his own after some initial instruction from me.

*Wordly Wise 6 or 7 (will be buying this in a few months) ---- Good vocab practice and supplement CLE which doesn't have much vocab. My son needs extra help in this area so it's good.

*Winston Grammar (buying this later) ---- It looks like a nice basic grammar course and that's what we need.

*Science will either be Real Science 4 Kids Chemisty I or Apologia General Science. Perhaps something else....I'm still looking in this area.

*German I from Rosetta Stone

*Typing from AKVO

*Sequential Spelling

*We're doing an art class through co-op

*We're taking music at co-op along with a Chess class.

*We're taking Pudewa Writing with our co-op so that's awesome!

*Christian Character Building for Families (bought this weekend) ---- great simple bible study on character qualities. We're starting it now and will also be doing a manners unit study along with it in the Summer.

*Recorder or guitar

I also bought some amazing resources for myself. One is a book called Learning in Spite of Labels by Joyce Herzog. I had the opportunity to attend 2 of her workshops at the Convention. AMAZING!! Don't miss this book if you have special needs children! :rockon I also got her booklet called "Including Very Young Learners in the Homeschool". Very neat info on how to make your own file foler and index card games! :) I also purchased Edu Track which is a computer software program which enables you to keep grades, print lesson plans, make transcripts, and a ton of other things. It is really awesome!!!

I am still working on what curriculum I need for my middle children. I haven't bought anything yet, other than Story of the World for them. I'm going to combine all the children in History, Science, music, and Grammar.

What have you all decided on for next year?

Mama Calidad
03-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I love these threads! It's so much fun to hear what everyone is doing! :yes

We're not very scheduled, so some of this we're already using and will continue through fall until we finish. :giggle

English -
Christian Liberty Nature Readers for reading practice. We really like these!
Spelling Power
First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind for grammar. We're midway through first at this point and will continue on to second whenever we get there.
And lots of good books.

Spanish - We're using regular books.

Math - I don't know. I haven't really been fond of anything we've tried.

History - All Through the Ages (library books)

Science - We're using Exploring Creation with Zoology: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day and Exploring Creation with Astronomy right now. We'll still have more than enough left for next year...and likely the next. :laughtears

Art - Discovering Great Artists

Quietspirit
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Science - We're using Exploring Creation with Zoology: Flying Creatures of the Fifth Day and Exploring Creation with Astronomy right now. We'll still have more than enough left for next year...and likely the next

I looked at these also! And they are still on the list as possibilities. I like the Astronomy One and the new Marine Mammals one. (My eldest son has an insect phobia or I would have chosen Flying Creatures. ;) )

Booklover
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
These are my tentative plans:

Winter Promise Geography program for all

Learning Language Arts through Literature or Climbing to Good English for 6th grader
Continuing with Wordsmith Apprentice (this hasn't been a big hit this year, so I'm tabling it and picking it up next year, I think)

Singapore Math 5A&B

Science - We just started Zoology I so if we like it, we might do Zoo2 in the fall, and then maybe How the Universe Works. I got that from Paperbackswap, and my oldest seemed interested in it. We will probably do a little habitat/biome study with the geography program too.

For the second grader, not sure. He doesn't do well with a pencil yet. I just started the first level of Learning Language Arts through Literature for learning to read. He hasn't been very interested yet, but he reached the age of mandatory education, so we've started that so far. I'm trying informal math so far. And reading out loud as much as he'll take. If I can homeschool him, dd will be a breeze, :laughtears.

illinoismommy
03-26-2007, 03:50 PM
:rockon

This Busy Mom
03-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm still choosing. I feel like I let things fall apart this year... but I know I didn't really...I just let history slide. SOTW was always a good choice so I may go back there. The kids loved listening to the cd's in the van.

Mamatoto
03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
We're using Eric Fairman's Path of Discovery I (Waldorf grade one). I absolutely am incredibly inspired by his book. :yes :heart And then all of the books that he recommends to get, like the fairy tales and form drawing, things like that. I am also still using the Wynstones Press seasonal books, A Child's Seasonal Treasury, and Naturally Three. We're starting the recorder, too.

birthchic
03-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Here's ours:

4th Grade:

Math- Ray's Arithmetic
Grammar- Harvey's Grammar
Spelling/vocab- Random things from reading
Latin- Prima Latina
Religion- Bible/Baltimore Catechism/Saint biographies
History- Story of US
Science- some sort of experiments at home
Music- Let's Make Music, recorder, music appretiation
Art- projects/ appreciation

2nd Grade-

Math- Ray's Arithmetic
Spelling- unsure
Reading
Religion- Bible/Baltimore Catechism/Saint biographies
Geography- States & Capitals flashcards & games
History- Hist. Biographies
Science- experiments at home
Art- class
Music- Let's Make Music, recorder, music appreciation

Pre-K
Just random stuff:)

CindyLou3
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
For 2nd we will use rod and staff for everything but math. I have been wanted to try Math U See for a while. For K I think I might stick to 100ez lessons, and Math U See. I really hope it works out, I went to a lot of review pages and couldnt find anything negative on rod and staff plus it is real affordable so if I have to ditch it and try something else I won't have the cost hanging over my head like we did this year.

**Christian Character Building for Families (bought this weekend) ---- great simple bible study on character qualities. We're starting it now and will also be doing a manners unit study along with it in the Summer.

Do they have a website?I searched but couldn't find the exact title. I bought a character book last year and shelfed it because I felt it was on the punitve side, it was plants grow up or something like that.

Quietspirit
03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I think it's from Courtship Connection. That's the vendor I purchased it from at the homeschool connection. If you google them, they have a website. They do probably have a more punitive mindset as far as child training, etc. But, I am fine with the Character book for our family. I haven't seen anything punitive in it, although it does discuss obedience the first time, etc. If that doesn't sit well with your family, you may not like the book. :hug2

illinoismommy
03-27-2007, 03:10 PM
So does anyone know if every state has a convention? Is there where you get to touch and look at materials? :shifty I can't imagine how you guys pick anything out....

Quietspirit
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
I believe most states have some type of convention. Illinois does, I'm pretty sure :) I love them because I attend workshops of interest and have a chance to browse the exhibit hall where all the curriculum can be touched, leafed through and purchased! :heart

BluegrassMama
03-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Here's my plan for next year:

Toby, 3 years old: your basic 3 yr. old stuff; books, toys, dirt, beeswax, watercolors, swings, hugs and kisses, songs

Henry, second grade: Sonlight core 2, Ray's arithmetic, Charlotte Mason-style language arts (narration, dictation, copywork), McGuffey spelling, science from Core Knowledge books K-2 and library, solfege (singing), various handicrafts. Extras: swimming, fun classes at library, gym class

Jonas, fourth grade: Sonlight core 4, Sonlight science 4, Harvey Grammar & Composition, dictation-narration-copywork, McGuffey spelling, Ray's Arithmetic, solfege, handicrafts, guitar Extras: swimming and horseback riding, gym class, LTC (church club)

Nathaniel, fifth grade: Indiana History (includes history, geography, literature, poetry, art, music, field trips, nature study), Sonlight science 5, finish Harvey Grammar, McGuffey spelling, finish Wordsmith Apprentice, Ray's Arithmetic, solfege, violin, piano, handicrafts. Extras: Folk Music and Dulcimer Society, Cool Rhythm Band, LTC (church club), swimming, gym class

Possibly, just maybe I'll join a hs. support group for the first time next year. Then again, maybe not. I'll continue to see hs moms at the library and gym class.

Winkie
03-27-2007, 08:01 PM
I just got my boxes of curriculum last week - woohoo! Even though we won't start next school year till late summer, my tax refund money was burning a hole in my pocket now & I just couldn't wait any longer to order stuff! :lol

2nd Grade:
Adventures in My Father's World (big surprise, huh? :giggle) for history, Bible, science, music, & literature
Spelling by Sound & Structure - R&S
Primary Language Lessons for grammar
Singapore 1A & 1B for math
I Can Do All Things for art
Rosetta Stone German 1

Kindergarten:
MFW K
HWT

2-3 yr old:
Duct tape ;)

Baby:
Nursing/content in sling :pray2

SueQ
03-27-2007, 08:36 PM
I had been planning on going with AO again next year but after praying and talking it over with dh I think that we'll use them for book ideas and read books on their year 2 book list as read alouds but then do the following:

Still undecided on Language Arts. I am trying to decide if I'll do my own thing using Ruth Beechick's ideas, go with LLATL which is based on her ideas (but more workbook then I like), go with Sonlight LA (they redid them and consulted with Ruth Beechick on the revision) but here is the rest of what we are doing next year.

Bible: just reading from our Bible, memorizing a verse and singing from a hymn book I bought

Math: using Rays Arithmatic for both boys

Handwriting: using copy work from the Bible or something we read.

Science: Using Exploring Creation with Astronomy

History: Beautiful Feet American History

Art: Teaching American History Through Art and Preschool & Early Elementry Art Basics

Music: Tie it in with the era we are studying in American History

I have Rosetta Stone Spanish that was gifted to me so I may be starting Spanish next year using that.

KitKat
03-27-2007, 09:03 PM
OK, here goes.....

Preschool....

Hooked on........Preschool book

1st grade

Reading--McGuffey's, along with Classical Curriculum Reading Series 1
Writing----Classical Curriculum Writing Series 1
Arithmetic-----Ray's Arithmetic with Classical Curriculum Arithmetic Series 1
Science----Considering God's Creation and Handbook of Nature Study
Grammar----First Language Lessons for the Well-trained mind
History-----Story of the World vol. 1 with Activity book
Sign Language----any resource we can find including a sign language dictionary and flash cards
Spelling---spelling power, though this will be adapted for a younger child
Phonics-----Phonics Pathways

blessedmama
03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Fourth grade dd:

Bible: Veritas Press: Chronicles Through Malachi and Job; BJU Press catechism
Math: Saxon 54
Spelling: Spelling Workout E
English grammar: Rod and Staff
Literature: Veritas Press: Chronicles of Narnia (cont. from third grade), Door in the Wall, The Hobbit, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs.
Basil E. Frankweiler
Latin grammar: Latina Christiana Level 1
History: Veritas Press: Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation
Science: Apologia Press: maybe botany or earth science
Handwriting: worksheets I generate with my Fonts4Teachers software
Extras: continued violin and piano lessons, orchestra, children's chorus, soccer, basketball

Second grade ds:

Bible: same as above (study along with big sis)
Math: Saxon 3
Spelling: Spelling Workout C
English grammar: Rod and Staff
Literature: Veritas Press: Boxcar Children, The Bears on Hemlock Mountain, The Pirate Island Adventure, Encyclopedia Brown
Latin grammar: Prima Latina
History and science: same as above
Handwriting: Fonts4Teachers
Extras: continued piano lessons, children's chorus, soccer, basketball

Kindergarten dd:

Bible: BJU Press catechism; ABeka ABC memory verses; various Bible stories
Math: Saxon 1
Phonics: Phonics Pathways
Spelling: Spelling Workout A
Reading/Literature: Moncure reading series, Bob Books, various I Can Read books
Handwriting: Fonts4Teachers
Extras: beginning piano lessons--soooo excited is she! Also soccer (if she wants to)

cro
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
2-3 yr old:
Duct tape ;)
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

I might have to try that one!

This will be our 1st year - K. So far I've acquired Saxon Math, 100ez lessons, and Zaner-Bloser handwriting. Still researching others though...