PDA

View Full Version : Military mommas that homeschool and especially with deploying dh's.........

purplerose
03-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I'd love to "chat" and find out some info from ya. I'd really like to hs......but I just don't know if I can do it with dh being deployed as much as he is. He is deployed right now and will be home at the end of April. He will deploy again in November and then will do 2 more pumps with the MEU. When he is back.....they are "around" but not really "around, kwim. So how do you do it? I know that I'll want some kind of break from my kids. It's hard for me to be around them 24/7 with NO HELP whatsoever. Especially since I want to get pg with #4. I will have 3 ages 5.....3.....and 2 when dd starts K this fall. Thoughts......advice! THanks! :mrgreen

jghomeschooler
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
we are radical unschoolers, so we have no type of deadline pressure, we are not members of any charter school or ISP. We all learn at our own pace around here. No testing, no outside pressure period.

AFA help is concerned, well my oldest is 12 and she is really such a HUGE help for me. The younger dc are 5, 3, and 1 1/2. dh will be deployed this year. 12yod watches The Littles while I run to the commissary (it's just NOT Fun shopping with the dc- I get cranky real fast when I have 2 dc going 2 different directions plus the baby sitting in the cart. It's not something I'm willing to deal with on a regular basis, LOL. I'd suggest finding a mommy's helper that could watch the kids while you soak in the tub or do something else for yourself.
FYI, there is a program through the Y I believe, that provides respite care. They will send someone out to watch your dc for a couple of hours to give you a break when you are stressed out, or if you have an appt., etc. I'm pretty sure it's through the military YMCA. I know you're north of here, but you could call the Murphy Canyon YMCA and ask them about it, if they aren't the ones who provide the service they'll get you in touch with the folks that do. Also FYI, I learned about lots of programs available during a spouses training meeting I attended last summer. At the Y, if you have run out of cash and need diapers or gas they'll give you gift cards for what you need, among other things. They also make quilts for the kids when their parent is deployed, take lots of pics of each kid with dad, and make some prints. They'll make a cute little quilt covered in pics of dad and child with dad. The kids really love those.
Is your dh deploying very soon? Or later in the year? If you have time, I'd work on finding a trustworthy babysitter before dh leaves, so the kids already know this person and it's not yet another huge change for them while dh is deployed.
Anyway, I HTH in some way. G2G now.

purplerose
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Those YMCA "services" are not offered to Officer families on our base......... :(

jghomeschooler
03-27-2007, 09:19 AM
oh that just stinks. sorry, :hugs

but hey, if he's an officer that MUST mean you're just rolling in dough, right???????? :wink :rolleyes

KitKat
03-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Well, for me, it is to remember to relax. DH is leaving again in May. I just kinda go with the flow. When I get sick of the kids (don't mean to make it sound bad, but 24/7 with no break can make anyone wish they weren't mommy for a while) I send them to th backyard to play. I put them to bed at 8 PM EVERY NIGHT regardless. And at 8 PM EVERY NIGHT it is MOMMY TIME!!!!! Also, we have quiet time at 2 PM EVERY DAY!!! This is a must for me. I have to have time to myself. I am an introvert and HAVE TO STAY CHARGED or I become a bad mommy. School is done when it is convenient and we start with the 3 R's. If nothing else gets done, so be it.