PDA

View Full Version : Schooling with a newborn

Winkie
03-24-2007, 08:41 PM
If you've had a new baby while homeschooling, how old was the baby when you resumed teaching? And if you had to do it over again, would you start earlier or later?

We'll be finishing this school year on Apr. 25. My due date is May 5. I'm looking ahead to next school year & wondering when to start. :scratch The last 2 years we've started in July. But I was thinking I would start in late Aug or Sept to have more time to adjust to the new baby. Then pondering further, I realized that if we started earlier, we would finish the year before the baby was really walking well & getting into stuff. :think What's worked for you?

SueQ
03-24-2007, 09:23 PM
My 4th was born last January and we had a 2 week babymoon. After that I just started back with the basics reading, writing and math. We then did a lot of read alouds. I found homeschooling with a new born fairly easy. I wore him in a sling and nursed him and taught school. We had the unique experience of him needing heart surgery in March when he was 2 months old. So I was in the hospital with him for almost a week and then we took another week off when I got home just to get settled and such. So we had two weeks off in March. Anyway we just did the basics for the rest of the year and I read a lot to the boys.

Not sure if that is helpful info for you. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Leslie
03-24-2007, 10:34 PM
So much depends on the baby's temperament. Miranda cried a lot as a newborn and didn't sleep much. She also tended to be "grabby" at books while I was trying to read. I had expected to have lots of time for schooling with her nursing peacefully in my arms and sleeping, but that didn't really happen because, even when she nursed, she was never really peaceful. Even now, three years later, she's difficult to homeschool around because she's so loud.

When I was pregnant and not up to doing much, I recorded myself reading a lot of the books I'd need to read aloud the year after she was born. That turned out to be a great help; my sons could listen to those while I paced with a colicky baby.

birthchic
03-25-2007, 06:54 AM
With this last one we took a week off--because my husband was still home- so he did school. I wanted the kids to be well established back in their routine before my husband had to go back to work.

With the last one- we took about 5 weeks. We were attending a co-op and baby was born right at the start of their 6 week winter break.

For us I think it work out better to start back sooner rather than later, because it wasn't like starting the whole school year all over again. I have always had at least two non-school-aged children at home while we've been schooling, so I don't think the disruption of the younger ones is something I really notice. It's just the way school is for us. The most helpful remedy for me, in dealing with this, was to really change my mind set to being at home doing some school work, rather than being at school at home. I dunno if that makes sense to anyone but me :shrug

teamommy
03-25-2007, 02:37 PM
When I was pregnant and not up to doing much, I recorded myself reading a lot of the books I'd need to read aloud the year after she was born. That turned out to be a great help; my sons could listen to those while I paced with a colicky baby.

I am lurking but wanted to say--what a great idea this is!

I'll have to file that away for when I (hopefully) get pregnant the next time.

tempus vernum
03-25-2007, 09:39 PM
We are very relaxed (some call us "unschoolers"); however, during end of pg and early infanttime with #3, dd (#1) wanted to learn to read. It was pretty easy cuz #3 was a very content child. Now, it can be hard to even read a book because she's so "destructo" (she's 17 months). I can definitely see the value in starting up while baby is tiny compared to a longer break. Honestly, IMO, the seond year of the baby's life (12months to 24 months) is harder than the first. At least for us, it's harder to have a few minutes to read, play an educational game, etc.

If we were regimented, I would not plan at all. I'd wait and see, if you have a content one, start up quicker, if you don't give yourself time :hug

Mama Calidad
03-26-2007, 08:08 AM
The day after DD2 was born. I was pretty much keeping to bed, so it was a perfect time for our style of school. DD1 would curl up with me and she'd read to me and/or I'd read to her while DD2 nursed or slept.

Winkie
03-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your stories! :) It helps to see how things work for different people. So much depends on the baby's temperament. That's something I'm afraid of. I would characterize my 3 boys as "easy-going". Can my "luck" hold out for another one? :nails

Leslie
03-26-2007, 07:57 PM
I would characterize my 3 boys as "easy-going". Can my "luck" hold out for another one?

I had three easy-going boys . . . and then Miranda, who is very, very different. Is it because she's a girl? I don't know. Best to be prepared for anything. :lol

wombmate3
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I am just starting up again in a VERRRRY relaxed manner and Ella is 3.5 months old. She is/was also a really difficult temperment and when I would try to work on things with Gabe and Hannah it was an exercise in complete frustration because she would scream the whole time. So we took a long break and they did a lot of playing outside, doing art stuff, and <gulp> watching PBS. Today is our first day back, hence my sudden apperance here! ;)