PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Abeka DVDs?

apmommyto4
03-24-2007, 02:10 AM
I'm talking about the DVD program 2, where you get the DVDs, but do all the recordkeepking, etc yourself. I've heard wonderful things about them! Anyone here have any experience?

mitfamsix
03-26-2007, 06:02 PM
I have been using program 1 for two years now and love it. I have different grades to teach and this has been a life saver :phew

Titus2Momof4
03-27-2007, 04:54 PM
This year, I am teaching 2's (Noah) K4 (Loralai) and 1st (the twins). We are not using DVD's :)

Mostly, we aren't using them because I don't like the thought of spending that much money each month for something that I *dont* get to keep... and, I kinda like being the teacher LOL

That said- I have heard WONDERFUL things about the DVD program :yes :tu If it didn't cost so much money, I would consider doing it, but I can't afford that monthly payment. I have heard that it is helpful for those stressful days when you get home from running errands and need to get started on lunch but the kids need to school too. Instead, though, we have structured our days such that we school in the mornings, (8:30-11:30, and with a flexible schedule) and anything we would get involved with would simply have to be OUTSIDE of our schooling hours. (This was when the DVD program was tempting...when we were doing far too many activities away from home in the morning.) *IF* for some reason I wanted to do something, and it wasn't a regular weekly thing to interrupt our day, we would simply take a "holiday" :) from school. But again, I have heard great things about the DVD program. If you do a search here on GCM though, I have read that some don't care for it because it runs from like 8am-3pm or something?? Now, if that is correct, I can say that wouldn't work for our family....

mykidsmom
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
My aunt used them for all three kids. They worked wonderfully for her. I'll eventually start using them, too.

Cost is about the only thing that's not so great. Way too much money. These videos were filmed a long time ago (still high grade curricula though), so you know they've made their money's worth and then some... :no

Titus2Momof4
03-29-2007, 05:28 AM
Besides the fact that I feel like it's an awful LOT of money to spend (especially if you have different age levels.....or two kids at the same age level, there is that "one time payment of a 'viewing fee' :rolleyes")..... I also agree with the pp about them being filmed a long time ago, and Abeka having made their money and then some, probably several times over. :/