PDA

View Full Version : A question about unschooling

MrsHutch
03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, I know this is WAY premature because I'm not even pregnant with our first child yet... but.... it never hurts to think ahead right?? :glasses

I was thinking about this today... I really really like the idea of unschooling. I guess I just need to learn more about it in general, but my question is this... how do you handle subjects that the kids just don't want to do, like advanced math?

mom2_AthruZ
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
how do you handle subjects that the kids just don't want to do, like advanced math?

My simple answer is we just wouldn't do it. The idea behind unschooling is that our children are wired to learn what it is they need to,according to the purpose God has for them here on earth. If any of my girls want to pursue a college education and higher math is required then they would have to do it. But it would be something that they did because they were motivated in their pursuit of a college education.

If,as their mom,I facilitate their education while they are with me so that they know how to find and obtain the information they want/need then they will be equipped to tackle any challenge that comes their way in their educational pursuits. I hope that makes sense. I know others will have more to add. :mrgreen

ArmsOfLove
03-21-2007, 07:25 PM
well, it really depends. :think For one thing I would say there isn't a reason to rush things Plus--I took all the higher math classes and didn't learn them at all :rolleyes but if a child wants to go to college and it's a requirement for entrance then that will be their motivation. One mother spoke at a conference about her dd deciding she wanted to be a vet and only then getting serious about learning math as it would be a prerequisite :)

Joanne
03-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Read, read, read!

There is a lot of FAQ type info on unschooling sites and lists that cover that question.

MrsHutch
03-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks girls!!! I have been reading up and I'm soooooooo excited about it when the time comes. :smile

I guess I'll just have to get out of the mandatory learning mindset.

mom2_AthruZ
03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks girls!!! I have been reading up and I'm soooooooo excited about it when the time comes. :smile

I guess I'll just have to get out of the mandatory learning mindset.

Deschooling myself was the biggest hurdle in our journey to unschooling. I still have days where I have to turn off the old tapes that play in my head.
Enjoy your research!! :)

mammal_mama
03-26-2007, 10:25 AM
how do you handle subjects that the kids just don't want to do, like advanced math?

My simple answer is we just wouldn't do it. The idea behind unschooling is that our children are wired to learn what it is they need to,according to the purpose God has for them here on earth. If any of my girls want to pursue a college education and higher math is required then they would have to do it. But it would be something that they did because they were motivated in their pursuit of a college education.

If,as their mom,I facilitate their education while they are with me so that they know how to find and obtain the information they want/need then they will be equipped to tackle any challenge that comes their way in their educational pursuits.

This is totally how I see it. It's mind-boggling to me that people actually think there's no way to learn something unless you do it at the designated time. I guess it's because most of us have been schooled in a system where certain things are done in certain grades, and even though we don't remember most of what we learned back then, we somehow still think it provides a "foundation" for what we're learning now.

Best wishes, MrsHutch!

Soliloquy
03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Haven't read all the replies, sorry if I'm repeating something . . . .

Honestly, if a child doesn't want to learn it you truly can't make them. Think about how much you "learned" in school that you no longer remember. I was very good at math in school but if you put a trig problem in front of me today it would probably take me a LONG time to do it--I'd have to go online and get help somehow. So, did I actually learn it or not? I say no, I didn't. I'm a former math teacher, btw, now a committed unschooler. :smile The things that I learned in the context of answering my own questions and pursuring my own interests--now those are things that I really know inside and out.

Some GREAT reading to do (and I say it's never too early) is anything by John Holt. His books should be at your public library. His books are excellent for both homeschoolers as well as school families even though he is considered the father of the unschooling movement. :)

:ot I started reading books on natural childbirth before I got pregnant so I know what you mean about being excited. :giggle Trust me, once a baby comes, time for readying may be sparse, so read now!

abbiroads
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Stacy, It may come naturally to you once you have a dc (though keep reading). I was nervous about hs, but I realized that helping my dc persue their intrests really comes naturally to me! (spelling is not one of my interests, just FYI ;))