PDA

View Full Version : What time of the year do you "start school" with your kids?

LittleSweetPeas
03-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm curious if many of you follow a traditional school year calendar or if you start at a different point in the year or go year round. Just trying to get an idea of what HS are doing.

Heather Micaela
03-19-2007, 02:16 PM
well with the teeny tiny bit that would be School at Home - such as the phonics and math workbooks (15 min a day but not every day) i follow the school scedule. But for the rest - unit studes. fienld trips, stories, journals, etc I plan to be year round. I want learning to be part of life but I like the idea of summers off the formal stuff so he can apply those skills.

Piper2
03-19-2007, 02:20 PM
We usually get started around the same time the schools around here to (August). But this past year, we did a "bridge curriculum" over the summer, so we were still kinda "doing school" then, and the year before, I just started us in July, but we had a lot of breaks over the year and ended at around the regular time.

The homeschool conference I like to go to is in late July/early August, so I've gotten so that I like to wait until after then, just in case I see something super-cool I want to start the year with. ;)

Mamatoto
03-19-2007, 02:21 PM
I go year round and I follow dd's development as far as moving along on the different grades...she has just started some first grade things now, still on mostly kindy stuff, though and she turns six next month. We do a whole lot of outdoor learning during the months from May-October and then indoor crafts and trips to the museum, aquarium, etc. in the winter...painting and things like that all year round, moving from inside to outside according to the seasons.

gentle_answer
03-19-2007, 08:40 PM
I plan to go year round. I want to instill the idea that learning is a part of life.