PDA

View Full Version : Unschoolers, how do your kids spend their time?

Elena
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
So I've moved past feeling like I need lesson plans and a curriculum for dd (age 6) but I still feel like there should be something more going on here. I'm perfectly fine with my younger ones "just playing" because I do firmly believe at their ages they learn through play but at 6..... should I be seeing more of..... something? I'm so clear, I know :rolleyes. Maybe I'm just not picking up on those teachable moments enough or encouraging her to explore and discover, but she just mostly plays too. She has started reading and she reads aloud to me when the mood strikes her, and I read aloud from a chapter book each day, and she occasionally will ask a question about something that we will research together, and she will sometimes pick out a workbook to do work from. Other than that, she does lots and lots of drawing, coloring, art projects, being mama to her dolls, and playing with her brothers. I have no vehicle right now so we aren't doing field trips or library story time. Again, while all of this is fine to me for 5 and under in my mind for some reason now that she's six I'm looking for her to do more. So tell me what do your (older) uschooling kids do all day? I'm not looking for planned, parent-led, activities, I'm asking what your kids do on their own when they can choose to do whatever they want. Curious to see if all the "other kids" are doing in depth independent studies in a field of their own choosing :giggle or if this is normal and okay for her to play the day away.

Ummm, okay, I just realized this is me being insecure about my choices and now instead of comparing her against what ps or school-at-home kids are doing I want to compare her against unschooling kids, but humor me, if you can....... :shifty

ArmsOfLove
03-14-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, we do read from Story of the World and they do a math curriculum. We do workbooks. They also play a lot. They build forts outside using all sorts of tools. They help me clean. We read stories. Liam absolutely loves history channel, military channel, animal planet and he's now found a medical channel :)

PurpleButterfly
03-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Computer games, reading, board and other games, imaginary play, karaoke, Lego/Lincoln Logs/Robot thingies construction, art, and recently creating a new club for kids to explore and rate local parks/playgrounds. :) Your dd sounds very normal and wonderful. :heart

Together we do Bible stories, cooking/cleaning/organizing, Story of the World, a worksheet here and there (mostly spelling as he's requested this), play with our Word Wall, and a Christian-based science curriculum. None of it regularly (except Bible) or unless we feel like it. ;)

Ds is about to turn seven and in addition to having a new baby (well, she's nine months already, somehow), I've had similar doubtings and understand. :hug2 One thing that has helped me feel a little more prepared is to use one of those kids "days of the week" clothes storage bins (hangs in the closet and has a shelf labeled w/each day of the week), but instead of clothing, I fill it with a few things for each weekday (book, game, worksheet, etc.). :)

righteous mama
03-14-2007, 08:34 PM
My kids play a lot. They watch Animal Planet and such...we do games (right now we are doing art memory games). I do a curriculum for phonics and math. Next year I will start doing HoW (http://www.heartofwisdom.com)

She takes classes on Wednesdays at a local "charter". They are very unschool friendly and we chose to put her in a reading class and a science class. She loves it.

We do lot's of arts and crafts.

We listen to lot's of music.

We play...a lot. Sometimes I think we're not doing much of anything, but I am seeing results. :tu

ArmsOfLove
03-14-2007, 08:44 PM
One thing that has helped me feel a little more prepared is to use one of those kids "days of the week" clothes storage bins (hangs in the closet and has a shelf labeled w/each day of the week), but instead of clothing, I fill it with a few things for each weekday (book, game, worksheet, etc.). that is a great idea :tu

I forgot to mention: ds1 is in piano and karate classes, ds does karate, and dd does ballet, tap, jazz and tumbling classes so we do those two days a week. And Fridays is our park day and play group :tu Every other Thursday is our Science coop.

We keep pretty busy

Elena
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
See I think I'd feel better if she was in at least one "outside" activity but right now it's not possible with no transportation. But reading your replies makes me feel better.

I also didn't mention that we go on lots of walks and they play outside a ton when weather permits. And she/ they play educational computer games sometimes. And I forget that things like board games and UNO (which we play a lot) teach things too. It's just not all neatly grouped into subjects and the benefits of each activity spelled out. I'm thinking about listing out what she/ we have done each day at the end of the day and then listing what subject that could fall under and/or what it taught. Just so I can see on paper that what we are doing is not all a bunch of nothing.

One thing that has helped me feel a little more prepared is to use one of those kids "days of the week" clothes storage bins (hangs in the closet and has a shelf labeled w/each day of the week), but instead of clothing, I fill it with a few things for each weekday (book, game, worksheet, etc.). :)

Love that idea also! At least then if she seems bored I can direct her there. Also thinking that a nice middle ground would be to just jot down a few ideas for fun things we can do together that week (a cooking, art, or science project) and then work them in if it seems like she's wanting something like that.

Your dd sounds very normal and wonderful. :heart

Thank you! :phew

PurpleButterfly
03-15-2007, 03:39 PM
:hug2 I go through the same thing - you can remind me next time it's my turn! :wink :sillygrin

Elena
03-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Sure thing! :sillygrin