PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on ACE Curriculum? School of Tomorrow?

Marsha
03-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Both my sisters use ACE for homeschooling. After assuming I'd do some type of homemade eclectic curriculum and then being adamant that dd was going to attend ps, I'm now in the middle and wanting to use a curriculum.
I read every review on homeschool review website LOL (yes I am nothing if not thorough) and I hear that it is weak in science and history but I plan to supplement those with library books anyway (also doing FIAR for social studies and history).
I wanted to hear opinions on real life people (other than my sisters) who have used it, too.

allisonintx
03-12-2007, 08:41 AM
My ds is using it at his private school, and it's right up his alley because it is VERY linear. It does not encourage creative thinking in any way at all, unfortunately. Most of the people I know who used it IRL "graduated high school" in the program by the time they were 13-14 years old because you can zip through it really fast.

Mama Calidad
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
We tried looking into their Spanish, but didn't get far. Their customer service was horrid. :td

expatmom
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I did it growing up. I skipped a grade, but didn't learn much. It introduced me to a very straightlaced punitive Christianity.

Marsha
03-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I did it growing up. I skipped a grade, but didn't learn much. It introduced me to a very straightlaced punitive Christianity.

can ya tell me more about that? Is it "very Christian"?

Wonder Woman
03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
my MIL's church uses it :paranoid

My mom used it for us in her first year of h/s - and I finished first grade within 2 months. :shrug After that she used Abeka.

My dh did ACE all the way through school, and he said as a Canadian, he found the curriculum almost unbearably Americentric :giggle

flowermama
03-13-2007, 12:08 PM
A dear relative gave us some samples to try and my older DD really disliked it. Well, she didn't really do much of the work in them, but she read some of the cartoons that are throughout the workbooks, and they are sooooo.... well, I don't know how to describe them. Like she really dislikes the one where some girls are afraid of bugs and the boys run to rescue them, and it says "Girls are afraid of bugs." Something like that. And there's one where a child is getting a spanking. It seems moralistic and simplistic and teaches some beliefs we don't share.

Marsha
03-13-2007, 12:24 PM
ewwwww... I don't like that much. I like the way they instruct and prepare the student from day one for independent work and they lead into subjects so much easier and gentler and less "teachy" than let's say Abeka or Rod and Staff.
I don't want cartoons about spankings or weird stuff like that.
urgh
!
Is that part of the core curriculum or somethng extra? Can I just get reading and math because I was going to supplement their "social studies" and "science" anyway since my sis says that it's all Genesis for science and Bible stories for social studies.

expatmom
03-13-2007, 12:26 PM
It seems moralistic and simplistic and teaches some beliefs we don't share.

That is a nicer way of saying what I was thinking. (I''m talking about ACE)