PDA

View Full Version : I am so confused!!!

Benjaminswife
03-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Okay, I am so very confused about what to do for my children. Up until maybe last week I was always one of those people that said, "I would never homeschool my children." But something in me clicked or changed or whatever. I think it started with a good friend I have her on base. She and I have a lot in common. Natural births, breastfeeding, slings, cloth diapering... Anyways, she homeschools and we have had some discussions about it. She homeschools for academic reasons, not religious...even though she is a Christian too. I guess when I heard this I thought. "That would be why I would homeschool." She was telling me about all the programs her daughter was in back in FL for homeschoolers but how she was having a harder time here since there isn't a whole lot to do.

Well anyways, that gave me a lot to think about. She also gave me a website for some simple lessons for 2 year olds. Well this morning I printed one out and did it with Daniel. It was about cows. We sang, "Old MacDonald had a farm." I found a book with a poem in it about a cow and we read that. Then I found a German picture book with a cow in it. Then we went around the living room acting like a cow. I feel like I got hit with a lightening bolt. THIS is what homeschooling would be like and my heart melted!!! I then got out an kid's atlas I have and started thinking about how I could teach my child about the world and how much fun that would be. WOW. I can't believe I am having these thoughts.

On the flip side though Daniel is in a 2 day a week toddler program that I love and he loves. He has a few friends in there and I am really glad he is in that program. But then I think ahead for next school year. I guess my choices are 1)Do nothing and use hourly care for him to play with the other kids. 2) 3 day a week American preschool but he would have to be potty trained. 3) 4-5 day a week German school which I love love love the idea of but 4-5 days a week? I just don't know.

Anyway, I am just confused about it all. Daniel won't start K until we move back to the states so really I feel like I have until then to really make the decision right? I could see what the homeschooling community was like wherever we are and go from there.

I guess one of my biggest concerns is that I want him to meet kids of all backgrounds. I do not want to be in a Christian bubble. Is that possible? Guess it depends on where you live right? I also was wondering what you use as a curriculum if you do not want to use a conservative christian one? What social programs would I be able to have my kids in?

I have so many questions.

Next week we are going over to my friends house to work on a project she is doing with her kids. I can't wait!!!

I can't even talk to DH about this. (He is in Iraq) I am not sure what he would say. But he usually does trust my judgement on these types of things.

:scratch

I hope this is the right forum. I wasn't sure.

NovelMama
03-11-2007, 06:42 PM
How old would he be next year? 4-5 days a week sounds like a lot for someone under 5. Although I guess it depends on the kid, too. I don't know your situation, though I gather you're in Germany and not confined to the base--you could try to find some Mommy & Me-type play groups to take him to in order to keep him socializing (and learning German--that really is a fantastic opportunity for him!) and/or do the hourly thing you mentioned. When you're back in the states, you'll have TONS of different options for socializing--joining t-ball or some other sport, church Sunday School or kids programs, mommy & me/kid gym/music exploration type classes, etc. And, of course, just playing with kids he meets at the park or the children of the friends you make wherever it is you move to.

Keep in mind that you can unschool/homeschool him on top of whatever other program you decide to enroll him in before kindergarten. For example, if you enrolled him in a 2-3 day a week preschool-type thing, it's not like you can't do homeschool activities with him when he's home with you.

As far as the Christian bubble thing goes, I think it just requires diligence on your part to make sure he's going places where he'll meet non-Christians. The kids in the neighborhood, the kids on the soccer team, etc.--and not everyone who homeschools is Christian, so there may be people in your community who homeschool that you can get together with and do field trips or whatever.

FourCutieBugs
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I am always embroiled in this internal debate. :rolleyes At the moment I am wanting to homeschool next year, but I am not sure if I can "handle" it. Like will I actually do it? I mean I am busy full time without hs added to it. Something would have to give.

I am interested to hear what others have to say. :popcorn

LittleSweetPeas
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Yes, this week I feel gung ho about it but next week it could change again. I looked at programs for DD (4 in April) for next year since this is her last year before K. I just can't bring myself to do it. 4 days a week at 4 hours a day is a lot for our family. I didnt want to do the driving (especially with a NB and toddler) and I realized how much of that part of the day is when the girls are enjoying one another and playing together. I also realized this is the last year I get to have her home with me if I decide to enroll her in K. I just want to enjoy it and feel more confident about our decisions.

Cost also played into it. I couldnt justify $300-400 per month to play.

I dont have any answers just wanted to share what we decided to do. I am planning on ordering a K curriculum to work with her on this year just to try out HS and to give her some practice in doing "school". We'll see how it goes?

FourCutieBugs
03-13-2007, 06:41 AM
Cost also played into it. I couldnt justify $300-400 per month to play.

No kidding. There's a WONDERFUL kindergarten we could have sent our oldest to, but I decided against it for that reason. That's like in-state college tuition.

Right now, i am on the hs bandwagon. But it's easy to imagine something working well in theory, but not being able to practically work it out in the reality of every day life.