PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know of a sign language curriculum???

KitKat
03-08-2007, 06:27 PM
PLEASE!!! I really need to teach my daughter sign language (she has major speech problems) and I figure I can just add it to our homeschooling.

ArmsOfLove
03-08-2007, 06:35 PM
we got some flash cards and I know there are several boxes of things. I don't know about a curriculum, though :think

you might want to ask in special needs also.

Chris3jam
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Would you like online curriculum or books?

Chris3jam
03-08-2007, 07:13 PM
OH, and there are videos, too. How old is the child(ren)?

Close2MyHeart
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
There's a website that I use... www.aslpro.com

KitKat
03-08-2007, 07:18 PM
My oldest is 5, my dd is 3 and my baby (who I am hoping may pick up on some of it) is 1. I prefer something with video included because I only know what I see on blues clues. I think it would be helpful to see someone else doing it.

Close2MyHeart
03-08-2007, 07:20 PM
The website I shared has a dictionary... they show you how to do the signs.

squirellymama
03-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Although not a cirriculum I've used the video series called "Signing Time". Its excellent and the kids love it. I even learned a lot from it. You can go to the website www.signingtime.com. Each video/dvd is around $10 I think and there are 13 in all. Its pricey but so good. I actually check them out from our local library. You might want to do that first to see if you like them.

They are filled with cartoons, kids and songs. They even have the songs on cd now because they are so cute and catchy.

I sound like I'm selling the stuff. I'm not. I apologize if I've broken a board rule somehow. I remembering posting a website once on another board and was told I was spamming.

Kelly

Chris3jam
03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
You can check out the videos at the library, and see what would work best. Our library has a whole "curriculum". The online curriculum has video. I echo the "Signing Times" videos for the kids. . .but, like I said, I would get them at the library.

KitKat
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Thank you all. I am going to try and start doing the PECS because that has the most immediate rewards I guess. But, I went to CBD and got some flash cards of signs. I figure this way, we can choose the ones that are best for us to know, and I am big on being able to touch what I am learning about, which is why I don't like computer programs much. Thank you for your advise. Oh, and I will be looking into the library tomorrow to see if they have videos to check out. I think that may be fun for the kids. They like to mimic what they see on TV, so maybe this will be exciting for them.

BHope
03-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I've recently been looking around for school options and I found a homeschool co-op in the area that offers sign classes. I've also found deaf centered charter schools. You may have similiar resources in the area that might be able to provide some free or near-free classes for you or for your daughter. I know that even our community college in the area offers sign classes. Even baby and mommy sign classes. :rockon Even if you don't want to do a formal class, there may be local options that will provide you with material. (Although the library suggestion is excellent.)

Another thing to consider is that half-price books often carries sign language curriculum for less than retail.

CelticJourney
03-10-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/index.htm

We are planning to use this for my dd's highschool language credit, but they baby signs as well.