PDA

View Full Version : curriculum for visual learners?

Happy Mom
03-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm an ex-homeschooler that will be a homeschooler again here in the fall. :D...I cant wait. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

I have two kiddos that will get structured schooling...the other is only going to be 3 and we'll be a bit more laid back w/her of course!...anyway, the other two have spectrum disorders and are extremely visual. My daughter, in fact, is almost incapable of learning through reading or vocal instruction...I really *need* something very hands on and visual for her. Well, both of them actually, but T more than G...

They are currently in K and 1st grade, so I'll have a 1st and 2nd grader next year. Thoughts? Tips? :mrgreen

IslandMama
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
For math, Math U See. I'm not sure about the other subjects. We are very literature based here. :shrug I'm sure someone has some great suggestions.

Savmom
03-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I recommend getting "100 top picks for Homeschool Curriculum" by Cathy Duffy. She lists all the curriculi in order for the different learning styles. It really helped us decide the best curriculum for our 2.

Here is a link to her site:

Cathy Duffy (http://www.cathyduffyreviews.com/index.html)

Happy Mom
03-06-2007, 09:53 AM
It looks like My Father's World would be a good fit for us. I could modify it some for my daughter, and my son could definately benefit from it...and I really like their pre-k stuff too!! I was looking at sonlight...but this is surely a better fit for us I think. any thoughts on MFW?

The Tickle Momster
03-06-2007, 11:29 AM
We love MFW! It has stuff for all kinds of learners, is planned out in the TM so no extra planning time. We are doing K and I have a very visual dd. Very gentle reading program, I've heard. Even my kinestetic ds enjoys it. You can get more info from their website at mfwbooks.com They have message boards too and at least 3 moms who are hsing kids on the spectrum. Their office is very helpful too, if you have questions. You can often talk with the author(s).

Winkie
03-06-2007, 09:16 PM
We love MFW too. If you search this forum, there have been a number of MFW threads in the last month or two. In one of them, I gave my opinion of MFW vs. Sonlight. HTH!