PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! need solutions and you are just the ones to ask....

KitKat
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
OK, so, almost 2 months ago, I injured my hip, badly. They said deep tissue bruising, give it time etc. So, I have and I have made ds (now 11 mo old) suffer to an extent. He has to ride in a stroller or cart. He has to sit in an exersaucer or bouncy seat unless I am sitting. etc. Basically, I can't carry him because my hip is so sore all the time (I mean, I wake up sore). So, I have started exercising in the hopes that taking off my extra 30 pounds will help. I haven't been able to get back to a doctor yet, and don't feel like going through more x-rays etc. But, I am wondering, since ds is having such a hard time with NOT being carried and he is now getting MORE needy in wanting to be carried MORE. Are there any suggestions on what I can do? If it was a back issue, or shoulder, I know there are different carries. But this is my hip. Any suggestions are worth trying and will be tried. So please, suggest away.

abbiroads
03-01-2007, 08:34 PM
what about a one shoulder carry, like a ring sling or pouch, and wear him on the healthy hip?

LauraK
03-01-2007, 08:37 PM
What about a wrap? It doesn't put much weight on the hip and you could do like a high back carry or something like that.

KitKat
03-01-2007, 08:43 PM
what about a one shoulder carry, like a ring sling or pouch, and wear him on the healthy hip?

Believe it or not, I haven't even tried that yet. I always used a mei tai. BUT, I am sure I could make myself a sling. I made a mei tai, how much harder could it be??

What about a wrap? It doesn't put much weight on the hip and you could do like a high back carry or something like that.

He hasn't liked the wrap in a while, since he got bigger, but maybe if he realizes that it means he can be carried, then he will sit nicely again. BUT, he WON'T do a back carry. Never would. I don't know why, dh says "it's cause he's to far away from his food". :laughtears

Katigre
03-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Get yourself a comfortable ring sling :).

KitKat
03-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Get yourself a comfortable ring sling .

With him being 11 months old, would it be worth it to buy a new one?

Katigre
03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
Totally! My DS is 11 months old and ring slings rock for carrying him. I have friends who still use them with their 2-3 year olds. They're great for hip carries.

I would recommend the Mayawrap *lightly padded* ring sling - the padding in the shoulder makes it great for older babies and very easy to use. www.mayawrap.com shows you all the colors, www.attachedtobaby.com has them for a lower price :).

3PeasInAPod
03-01-2007, 09:40 PM
You could try making your own first, especially since you've made a MT. A ring sling is super easy.

I had problems with certain ring slings hurting my shoulder. I found a "hotdog" style of sling that is really comfortable.

I made my own from this pattern: http://www.geocities.com/sling_a_ma_bob/instructions.html
I made this in 15 minutes, literally.

You can always buy one, but if you want to be sure it's going to work, you may want to make one first. Just an idea.