PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding if ISP is suitable

TuTusMama
02-24-2007, 02:14 PM
My IRL friend Therese (Bornfreebaby on GCM) got me connected with an ISP that is in our area. I like that it is Christian and local, their park days are very close to us. And they offer plenty of field trips and even friday school, where the kids do group projects, and PEunder the supervision of teachers. The ISP covers any legal issues and is essentially what we are looking for, a community and support. It dosnt hurt that they also have the American Heritage girls scouting group. But I am having issues with the fact that they mandate the SAT10 test, for all kids from K-12, that they have to take every year.
I am very anti test and hated testing for anything during my school years. Testing me was never a very good indication of how much I understood and even when I was very small I whould get sick of them and just write C for every answer. Unless Helena wants to be tested for spelling or math, I plan on giving no tests. And even if she stayed in public school I whould request to opt out of any state testing.
So Im still on the fence about joining this ISP, I love everything else, I just dont want to pay 15.00 a year (eventually 60.00 for all four kids) for a test I dont want. And in my opinion maybe you could help with this, I think its a bit expensive. For tuition every month is 45.00.
That doesnt include friday school (which is optional) Im thinking that yeah we can afford that for one kid. But not more then one. Unless this is the usual cost for ISP??? Any insight???
Anyone???
Christine

Hermana Linda
02-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Most ISP's will require testing, as that is how they get money from the government. However, not all do. I use Brandford Grove, which does not. They are at brandfordgrove.com

IslandMama
02-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi! I've been thinking about joining an ISP with a private Christian school. It will cost us $40 a month for all of the kids, and a registration fee. I have to find out more still, but I like the idea of having organized field trips, support from other Christian families, record keeping, etc. Right now I'm w/ a public charter, so it wouldn't be a big deal about testing. I just figure the benefits for me are worth it. And you'll get to see your child's progress. I rarely give tests, but it's great practice for SATs when they go to college. I like having the option of taking some classes on campus too, especially for my high schooler. You have to weigh the pros and cons and do what's best for you and your family... Like you, I'm still in the process of deciding! Hope you can find out more! :)

lumpofclay
02-25-2007, 03:25 PM
What's an ISP? :blush

TuTusMama
03-02-2007, 01:50 PM
An ISP is an Independent studies program, its through a private school, and it has no requirements (like using certain text or programs) the only real requirement is that they take the SAT10 test which is an evaluation test to see where they are according to grade level.
MPO is that I dont really care WHAT grade level they are at, and that I dont need an inaccurate test to tell me how smart or not smart my kid is. The ISP directer told me it was great to evaluate so I can prepare for next year. I think they have a more of a "school at home" philosophy wheras I am more of an unschooler at heart. So I guess Im a "home learning"
I have to go I will write more later

lumpofclay
03-02-2007, 02:06 PM
What exactly will they do with the results?

IslandMama
03-02-2007, 07:42 PM
There are many positive reasons to belong to an ISP... In my area, most Christian homeschoolers do. In California you have to file as your own private school, belong to an ISP, or a public charter/school. Many Christians belong to an ISP that is affiliated with a church. They keep your records for you, organize fieldtrips, have park groups and bible studies for the kids, dances and other activities. We're thinking of joining because I've had a hard time finding a homeschool group we are comfortable with. With all the advantages, the testing is no big deal... Not all are "school at home" type either. Most of the ladies I've talked to follow a classical, literature, or relaxed approach. :smile I'm wondering if it's different in every state? :shrug

TuTusMama
03-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Actually there are no consequences to taking the test, she said its just for the parents own evaluation of how well they are teaching their child.
Im thinking that it is a small annoyance to do it, but worth it. This group is large and local. What Im looking for is a group that offers fieldtrips, activities, classes (like music or art) and dosnt require me to keep any records or teach a certain way. Im going to visit them on their park days to see if its a good fit for us, before I join. I pray that it is :-)
Christine

lumpofclay
03-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Since there's no consequence, and you see so much benefit for your family, I'd join and consider it an annoyance. :)

Hermana Linda
03-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Just a little food for thought here. I have a friend who was using such an ISP and when it came time to test her son, he got a severe test anxiety. It was just really, really traumatic for him, even though she did everything she could to express to him that there was no pressure, no consequence and it did not matter how he did. So, the next time test time rolled around, she refused the test and they expelled him. :jawdrop Ok, they said that they disenrolled him, but the consequence was the same. He was illegally not enrolled in school for the last month or so of the school year. :mad

I really believe that testing children can have a negative affect on them. But that's just my opinion. :twocents