PDA

View Full Version : They actually made it!!

Mother of Sons
02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Back when I was a completely mainstream mom (first) I remember thinking that they should make a way to just hook up a carseat to make a swing. i still think it's a cool idea but a bad idea in so many ways obviously.

Well they made it! I was at the store last night and then have a swing base that you just attach the carseat too and they swing away. Now the baby never even has to get out of the carseat!

Here it is.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=1F01GSV&CategoryID=5

Irene
02-09-2007, 10:29 AM
interesting. I could definitly see using that with my dd, who was in the swing alot :blush and transfering her to a car seat when she was asleep because we had to go somewhere was aweful. I can definitely see both sides ;)

Blue Aurora
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I can too. I could see using it if my baby fell asleep in the car. Unfortunately I think alot of people would just leave baby even more in a container b/c of our container happy society.

Mother of Sons
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh yeah, now don't get me wrong. Since I "invented this" thing I can totally see the usefullness. Even yesterday when I saw it in the store I was kind of tempted! It just has such bad potential.

Dana Joy
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
i guess it makes one less gadget to store- the carseat has a home when it is not being used- i'm all for saving space!!!!!!!

StumblinMama
02-09-2007, 11:00 AM
That's interesting for sure. I do have one of those short little swings like that (except for the carseat part), and I loved it. You could even fold it up flat and carry it with you. Of course we now have a Redbone Coon Hound (same breed as the dog in "Sweet Home Alabama".) He's a pretty big dog, so I imagine we won't get much use out of the little swing with this baby. I'm afraid our dog would be all over him.

Katydid
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
i guess it makes one less gadget to store- the carseat has a home when it is not being used- i'm all for saving space!!!!!!!

That's what I was thinking.... but I know that it would be easy to over-use for a lot of people.

Mother of Sons
02-09-2007, 11:34 AM
See, as a swing to me it's cool. I like the space saving and it seems comfier. The danger I think (especially if they take my other idea and turn it into a highchair :giggle ) is that you get up in the morning and put baby in the CS to swing, then it's time to run errands, stop by a friend's, baby is asleep so she stays in the seat, another errand then home. At home, pop her back in the swing while you make something to eat, take her out for lunch, then back in the CS for a nap in the swing. Ends up being in the seat most of the day.

Soliloquy
02-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree that it could be nice but I see too many babies who spend their entire waking hours in some kind of a "baby bucket." It makes me sad to see a baby go from the crib to the high chair to the swing to the saucer to the to the jumper car seat to the stroller . . . I'm sure you've all seen it too. :no2 It seems people have forgotten how nice and important it is to HOLD your baby!

Sister Ray
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
My mother used to feed me and my sister in swings. Since when she started solids only one could eat at a time, the swings let one go back while the other was forward and it was just a matter of putting food into the mouth of the right baby. Properly used, a swing is useful.

Sarai
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea. My DS hated the sling, to my great disappointment, but loved LOVED his swing. There were many times when he'd *just* fall asleep in the car & I would've loved to have been able to transfer him to the swing for a little while w/out him waking up (you know, to use the bathroom, make dinner....those little things ;)). Like all bouncy seats/swings/etc, I think it's fine in moderation, just as long as a baby isn't left in it for hours on end. :shrug

See, as a swing to me it's cool. I like the space saving and it seems comfier. The danger I think (especially if they take my other idea and turn it into a highchair :giggle ) is that you get up in the morning and put baby in the CS to swing, then it's time to run errands, stop by a friend's, baby is asleep so she stays in the seat, another errand then home. At home, pop her back in the swing while you make something to eat, take her out for lunch, then back in the CS for a nap in the swing. Ends up being in the seat most of the day.

ITA. :yes

Dana Joy
02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
so, mos have you resieved your big inventor's check in the mail?

Mother of Sons
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
so, mos have you resieved your big inventor's check in the mail?

I wish! I have come up with SO many things YEARS before they ended up on the shelves. Those tiny pringle cans? Yup, thought of that. Half sized pop cans? Me too lol.

lavender mom
02-09-2007, 02:25 PM
So what I want to know is, are there *really* babies that could spend all day in a carseat like that?

I mean maybe I just had high needs babies, but half the reason I'm here at GCM is because a lot of the mainstream parenting ideas didn't work for me. My kids wouldn't spend *15 minutes* in a carseat or swing, forget all day! When I first read about slings when I was pg I thought they were the craziest thing I'd ever heard about. Why in the world would someone carry a baby all day? Why not leave them in a playpen or infant seat? :O Then God gave me kids that didn't want to be put down for more than 15 minutes at time and suddenly slings seemed like a brilliant invention. :yes So are there really babies that can spend all day in a carseat? Asking honestly. :O (Well, I guess there must be, or Graco wouldn't make it. But still it is just such a foreign concept to me. Neither of my kids liked the swing. DS was OK in the carseat, but only as long as the car was moving. )

Sorry you missed out on your royalty checks MOS. :giggle

Irene
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
well, my dd liked to be held a lot. I didnt know about slings back then. I had a snugly but she outgrew that quickly and I remember trying to invent something to strap her to my chest upright :laughtears oh, if I only knew! :lol she wouldnt go in her carseat without screaming, but she did like the swing, she had reflux, so it kept her upright, moving, and I could get stuff done. so basically, if I had known about slings, I am sure I would have used that instead, but the swing did help with her sleeping. only short bursts. and, it was a big one, but I moved it all over the house, and outside and everything. and, she couldnt be transferred sleeping, so it was just difficult all the way around. She was really high needs, but for some reason, the swing she liked :shrug and, it helped me be able to sit still at some moments, not standing and walking her endlessly :shifty

klpmommy
02-09-2007, 05:23 PM
So what I want to know is, are there *really* babies that could spend all day in a carseat like that?

There is at least one baby in my MOMS Club that I rarely see out of his carseat/carrier. He is "content", but I don't know how much of that is trained and how much is innate. Regardless, it is sad. The mom & I went scrapbooking one day for about 4 hours & she had to bring him along, he was in the carseat the entire time except for one bottle- then right back in. :no2 I don't know what to say to the mom, but I try to offer to hold the baby whenever I can.

hey mommy
02-09-2007, 05:27 PM

About 10 yrs. ago my cousins son stayed all day in the car seat. At night he went into his crib.. Yes, that kid has major problems today.. :( I remember going camping w/them and the kid spent maybe 3 hours out of the car seat the entire weekend. :(

I have mixed feelings about this swing thing... I can see how it can save space, but the reg. swings recline more and can be more comfy for babies.

Soliloquy
02-10-2007, 12:32 PM

My nephew spent most of his day in something and I saw a lot of babies at MOMS club in their carseats w/ propped bottles for hours. My kids were like yours, though. I'm thankful--God knew I needed that to learn.

illinoismommy
02-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Back when I was a completely mainstream mom (first) I remember thinking that they should make a way to just hook up a carseat to make a swing. i still think it's a cool idea but a bad idea in so many ways obviously.

Well they made it! I was at the store last night and then have a swing base that you just attach the carseat too and they swing away. Now the baby never even has to get out of the carseat!

Here it is.

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=1F01GSV&CategoryID=5

you missed your claim to fame.... should have invented and submitted a patent :giggle

Rbonmom
02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
My ds was one of those babies who could have been in a bucket all day :yes The kid never cried :hunh I used a sling and held him constantly. I swear I didn't put him down for the first 3mo, I was sad to let go of him :giggle but if I hadn't felt that way I'm sure he'd have sat in a swing or car seat for hours at a time without a peep!

domesticzookeeper
02-11-2007, 12:55 AM

I could have :shrug Luckily my parents didn't ;), but I was one of those really easygoing, never whine, never fuss babies :shrug

illinoismommy
02-11-2007, 08:21 AM

I could have :shrug Luckily my parents didn't ;), but I was one of those really easygoing, never whine, never fuss babies :shrug

oh please can I have one of those? I promise not to leave her in the carseat or anywhere else for that matter :O

SouthPaw
02-11-2007, 08:37 AM

DD2 is like that :yes little miss happy bobunchkins. i hold her all the time BUT it is so nice to have a baby that doesnt go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you make the momentous decision to Go To the Bathroom Without Holding Her.

domesticzookeeper
02-11-2007, 11:11 AM

oh please can I have one of those? I promise not to leave her in the carseat or anywhere else for that matter :O

:giggle If it makes you feel any better, their second child was a constant screamer :shifty and their third was HN. But they were *completely* clueless new parents and they said God made their first child an easy child so they couldn't really mess me up :shifty :mrgreen

mommyTay
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
So are there really babies that can spend all day in a carseat? Asking honestly. :O (Well, I guess there must be, or Graco wouldn't make it. But still it is just such a foreign concept to me. Neither of my kids liked the swing. DS was OK in the carseat, but only as long as the car was moving. )

Sorry you missed out on your royalty checks MOS. :giggle

Sadly yes, there are babies that stay in things like that all day. I am not saying the babies are happy about it, just that there are moms that leave them there. :mad Ask how I know? that is where my current foster children spent most of their early months. The little ones have recovered, but it is VERY HARD to take the baby anywhere. She HATES :hissyfit being in a car seat. :(

jtidwell
02-13-2007, 01:51 PM
DD2 is like that :yes little miss happy bobunchkins. i hold her all the time BUT it is so nice to have a baby that doesnt go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA when you make the momentous decision to Go To the Bathroom Without Holding Her.

HA! I shouldn't be drinking tea while reading posts like these. You can clean my laptop off, 'kay? :smile

My 3-month-old is high need. Sometimes that manifests itself as needing to be held/wrapped, and sometimes as needing to NOT be held -- he adores his swing, for instance, and he'll cry and cry while in our arms but cheer right up when put in the darn thing. His carseat can be very comforting to him (and sometimes it isn't). I'd think a device like this would make him quite happy, actually, when used judiciously.

allisonintx
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
I have one thing to say:

The average American baby spends 6 hours per day in their carseat.

SouthPaw
02-13-2007, 03:06 PM
I have one thing to say:

:hunh

hey mommy
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
I have one thing to say:

Yowzers.. That is a lot! Why so much???

malakoa
02-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Small once screamed six hours on a trip in a car seat... yet she loved her swing and would only nap in her swing. .. None of this car seat napping for us...
Wonder how this would have worked... when ever I set her down for more than twenty minutes, I would feel myself going through physical withdraws...

CrunchySeaSalt
02-13-2007, 09:40 PM
My friend seems to not have a problem with her babies sleeping in their carseat for MONTHS.

I don't know how I feel about that. :think