PDA

View Full Version : Letter I received on Paperback Swap website about my Tripp Review

Treenahurricane
02-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I posted this review of Shepharding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp on Paperbackswap some time ago. I also gave it 1/2 star (lowest ranking).
Ted Tripp's advocated methods are not biblically sound. By distorting Old Testament Scripture, he advocates for numerous ways to spank children from INFANCY until they are whipped into submission, certainly not the methods our Lord Jesus Christ would have ever advocated. The same scriptures he uses to back up his methods (from Psalms mentioning "The Rod") literally mean to guide and teach your children, not to literally whip them. I long for the day when those claiming to be "Christian" will be revealed for the authors they really are, misguided by Satan himself and repentant for the pain they have misled so many parents to inflict on their innocent children. You cannot be Christian in word, yet ignore Christ in your actions.

Christian parents, or parents of any faith can and should discipline without violence (which is exactly what spanking is...hitting). It is not necessary and potentially harmful physically, and absolutely psychologically harmful. Logical consequences help children to learn after making a mistake. Hurting a child only creates fear and the insecure feeling of deserving physical suffering, nothing God desires for His children.

Then tonight I received this message from another member:
Sister in Christ Lindsey,

It is good to read of your love for Jesus Christ and encouraging. Yet I must disagree with the tone of your review for a book you wrote titled "Shepherding a Child's Heart" and one assumption you make about humans who are young.

To quote you:

"those claiming to be "Christian"
"misguided by Satan himself"
"innocent children"

So you not a "little" about me: I have a MA seminary degree, a teaching degree and have a master's degree in clinical counseling. (not that any of these degrees mean a hill of beans to me regarding wisdom)

I have worked in a maximum security prison for juveniles, (ages 10-21) and at a sex offender treatment center for adolescent boys. (ages 10-18) I have taught students who are the worst of the worst in behavior. -Murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and thieves-
(nor does this stuff mean much either) -The Bible is what counts.

I agree with you that there are many who are not Christian who "claim to be Christians" and that there are many in the church of Jesus Christ who are wolves in sheep's clothing.

Jesus taught us who believe, "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves." (Matthew 7:15) and that Jesus will "...gather all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats." (Matthew 25:32) so we must make judgment about who is in Christ and who is not according to the Scriptures. (as you did in your review)

Yet, I must disagree with the assertion you make that "children are innocent."

Emotions aside and looking at the text of Scripture:

One need only look at the 10 commandments to see clearly that children do not obey them. God is no respecter of persons and treats each of us equally. He says so in His law

Deuteronomy 1:17
Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment is God's

One might argue that this is the God of the OT.

In the NT it is written:

James 2:9
But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

and Paul says:

Romans 2:11
For there is no respect of persons with God.

and finally:

it is written in Romans 3 regarding humans old and young

"None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become
worthless; no one does good, not even one."

(Please note the words "none" and "all" in the preceding Scripture)

So we learn from the OT and the NT that we are not to favor anyone over another. I also know that I am not good, not righteous, but guilty and a sinner. I have lied, coveted, and been unloving not to mention dishonored my parents, used God's name in vain, and others. Truly I am guilty and need Jesus as Savior as does everyone who has inherited Adam's sin.

Romans 5:12
Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned--

When you judged the author as a follower of Satan for spanking his child I felt you were too harsh and unloving with him and quite unfair.

I think there is a time for harsh langauge such as you used but that is with the heresies of the faith such as the following Heresies:

Adoptionism- God granted Jesus powers and then adopted him as a Son.
Albigenses- Reincarnation and two gods: one good and other evil.
Apollinarianism- Jesus divine will overshadowed and replaced the human.
Arianism - Jesus was a lesser, created being.
Docetism- Jesus was divine, but only seemed to be human.
Donatism- Validity of sacraments depends on character of the minister.
Gnosticism - Dualism of good and bad and special knowledge for salvation.
Kenosis - Jesus gave up some divine attributes while on earth.
Modalism - God is one person in three modes.
Monarchianism - God is one person.
Monophysitism- Jesus had only one nature: divine.
Nestorianism - Jesus was two persons.
Patripassionism - The Father suffered on the cross
Pelagianism - Man is unaffected by the fall and can keep all of God's laws.
Socinianism - Denial of the Trinity. Jesus is a deified man.
Tritheism - the Trinity is really three separate gods.

The main point of this letter is to ask you to be more loving towards others who are in the faith of Jesus Christ the Lord. I ask you to be more gentle with those who love Christ and not to wack your brother over the head verbally.

Jesus teaches you should write the author and speak to him about your concerns. ""If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother...." (Matthew 18:15) I hope that you have done this. I am doing this as we speak. God be praised.

I do not think you had the Spirit of Christ when you wrote your review and feel it may in fact bring reproach on the name of Christ.

I agree with you repentance is a good thing and necessary for Salvation as Christ said Luke 13:3 "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."

Blessings from God to your family.

God's blessings to you and peace to you through His Word,
Phil

How should I respond? Should I respond at all? I feel he misunderstood my review... I did not feel that at any point I called Tripp a follower of Satan because he spanks. I didn't call Tripp a follower of Satan at all-- but instead, a Christian who has been misled by Satan (which can happen to any of us on any number of topics IMO).

Rabbit
02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
All I know is that this letter raises red flags. I would be very very wary of the author.

MarynMunchkins
02-05-2007, 10:52 PM
This is another member? Not someone with actual authority or anything? :scratch

I think I'd give a blanket "Thank you for taking the time to email me. The intent of my review was to review a book that I feel has the potential to damage the minds of parents and the body of Christ. If you are interested in learning more about the Biblical applications of the rod and grace in parenting, please visit [insert GBD sites]. Have a nice day."

Treenahurricane
02-05-2007, 11:01 PM
No one with authority on the site :dunno: Most of the time the messages sent on the site say things like "Thanks for the book!".

Sister Ray
02-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I would be very concerned with someone who responds to a piece about spanking infants with a lecture on sin.

expatmom
02-06-2007, 01:29 AM
The main point of this letter is to ask you to be more loving towards others who are in the faith of Jesus Christ the Lord. I ask you to be more gentle with those who love Christ and not to wack your brother over the head verbally.

Um, pot...kettle....black...!! Thats a verbal wack if I ever read one.

I'd delete it & not give it another minute of your time.

cindergretta
02-06-2007, 01:59 AM

But you can physically whack a "human who is young"?? :hunh :rolleyes

I agree with politely sending him some websites that address the application of the rod verses and contain discussions about grace vs. punishment.

ozmummy
02-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I feel that in some parts, the tone of your review was a bit harsh. (Although I totally agree with what you said). If I was thinking of buying the book, I don't know if it would help me to be accused of being misguded by Satan because I was considering it. That's a pretty big call to make to someone who might be still on the fence. (ALthough I *do* agree that this type of parenting advice *is* the work of the enemy..)
I think that maybe Phill has some fair concerns regarding that issue ie the tone :shrug

:heart

But otherwise, it's unnecessarily long winded and does ring alarm bells for me about further contact with this person.

HomeWithMyBabies
02-06-2007, 05:55 AM
Ok, that was odd.

Very long, and what's with the definitions of various types of heresy? The letter sounds like he's trying to use his background/knowledge to itimidate. I'm obviously not assuming positive intent here.

I think I'd just let it go.

beccafromlalaland
02-06-2007, 06:06 AM
I think I would respond with something.

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail me. I find it interesting that you have worked in Juvenile prison and have not made the connection between Violent children and Violent parenting (i.e. spanking, hitting, verbal/emotional abuse, sexual abuse) It's rare that a child would up and one day decide to hurt someone just for the fun of it, they are conditioned by the treatment they recieve from their parent caretakers.

Tripp is advising parents to condition their children with violence. Violence Leads to violence. Love and patience leads to Love and Patience. and What is Christ?? Violent, or Patient and Loving?

MrsHutch
02-06-2007, 06:15 AM
This is another member? Not someone with actual authority or anything? :scratch

I think I'd give a blanket "Thank you for taking the time to email me. The intent of my review was to review a book that I feel has the potential to damage the minds of parents and the body of Christ. If you are interested in learning more about the Biblical applications of the rod and grace in parenting, please visit [insert GBD sites]. Have a nice day."

I think this is a great response! :rockon I agree with HomeWithMyBabies that he's probably trying to use his background/knowledge to intimidate you. You really can't argue with people like that because they will ALWAYS be right in their eyes. :rolleyes

Teacher Mom
02-06-2007, 06:53 AM
creepy!

Blue Savannah
02-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I feel that in some parts, the tone of your review was a bit harsh. (Although I totally agree with what you said). If I was thinking of buying the book, I don't know if it would help me to be accused of being misguded by Satan because I was considering it. That's a pretty big call to make to someone who might be still on the fence. (ALthough I *do* agree that this type of parenting advice *is* the work of the enemy..)
I think that maybe Phill has some fair concerns regarding that issue ie the tone :shrug

I agree. :yes

I really thought the author was making an effort not to offend you in any way, but give his POV. I agree that we are all born with Adam's sin nature and need Christ. IMO, GBD points kids to Christ more than spanking them does as you also stated in your review. And he's not advocating spanking in his letter, just concerned about your choice of wording that some of these men (and women) might not be believers. People following these parenting methods need as much grace as the rest of us do.

CelticJourney
02-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes, short and to the point. I'm not thrilled with the tone, it's not going to be pretty if you engage him. One thing that you have to acknowledge is that he is not defending Tripp, but addressing you. It's ok to offset this with 'you gave me something to think about, but we disagree on some fundamental issues.'

The following is just me thinking on paper and is not an encouragement to engage this guy.
When you judged the author as a follower of Satan for spanking his child I felt you were too harsh and unloving with him and quite unfair
Those were not my words - I said he was lead astray, I see a difference.
You ask for gentleness of me towards someone who teachings the hitting of infants and the humiliation of children - interesting? I will tell you that I spoke as gently as possible and I will pray over how I could express myself differently in the future, but I spoke only the truth as I understand it.
Jesus teaches you should write the author and speak to him about your concerns. ""If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother...." (Matthew 18:15) I hope that you have done this. I am doing this as we speak. God be praised.
This is a tool used quite often by comtempory authors and their supporters to wish to have public notarity and profit from their teachings, but want any criticism to remain private, ie unheard. In truth, due to your educational achievements listed, I am sure you know that this verse is about personal relationship, not public teaching which is held to a much, much higher standard. Tripp, and others like him, have been approached again and again and stand firm on their teachings, therefore it is appropriate to warn others about their doctrinal flaws
I do not think you had the Spirit of Christ when you wrote your review and feel it may in fact bring reproach on the name of Christ.
The Spirit of Christ constantly moves me to stand up for little children who are hit for behaviors they can't possibly understand or for young men and women who are humiliated and violated at the instructions of men like Tripp and who consequently turn that hurt and anger to others - perhaps many such as you see in your professional capacity. Perhaps delivering the message of my heart is an area inwhich I need to seek growth, but the message stand.
Your list of heresies is quite impressive. For me, diminishing the work of Christ on the Cross has to be very high on my list. For a teacher to imply that children can receive forgiveness for their sins, but only after they have been physically punished adds a stumbling block for these children to the Gospel of Christ for the rest of their lives. To assert to a young parent that they can influence their children towards God via a 'bottom-heart connection' (his words, not mine) is false teachings, and not in harmony with the Gospel of Christ. Recall that Christ himself said that anyone who causes one of the little ones to stumble, it would be better for him to never have been born - pretty strong statement about the degree to which we are to protect our children's hearts.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I will prayerfully consider your words. I do stand fully convinced in the physcial, emotional and spiritual damage being done to children through the teachings in this book.

Savmom
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Yes, short and to the point. I'm not thrilled with the tone, it's not going to be pretty if you engage him. One thing that you have to acknowledge is that he is not defending Tripp, but addressing you. It's ok to offset this with 'you gave me something to think about, but we disagree on some fundamental issues.'

The following is just me thinking on paper and is not an encouragement to engage this guy.
When you judged the author as a follower of Satan for spanking his child I felt you were too harsh and unloving with him and quite unfair
Those were not my words - I said he was lead astray, I see a difference.
You ask for gentleness of me towards someone who teachings the hitting of infants and the humiliation of children - interesting? I will tell you that I spoke as gently as possible and I will pray over how I could express myself differently in the future, but I spoke only the truth as I understand it.
This is a tool used quite often by comtempory authors and their supporters to wish to have public notarity and profit from their teachings, but want any criticism to remain private, ie unheard. In truth, due to your educational achievements listed, I am sure you know that this verse is about personal relationship, not public teaching which is held to a much, much higher standard. Tripp, and others like him, have been approached again and again and stand firm on their teachings, therefore it is appropriate to warn others about their doctrinal flaws
The Spirit of Christ constantly moves me to stand up for little children who are hit for behaviors they can't possibly understand or for young men and women who are humiliated and violated at the instructions of men like Tripp and who consequently turn that hurt and anger to others - perhaps many such as you see in your professional capacity. Perhaps delivering the message of my heart is an area inwhich I need to seek growth, but the message stand.
Your list of heresies is quite impressive. For me, diminishing the work of Christ on the Cross has to be very high on my list. For a teacher to imply that children can receive forgiveness for their sins, but only after they have been physically punished adds a stumbling block for these children to the Gospel of Christ for the rest of their lives. To assert to a young parent that they can influence their children towards God via a 'bottom-heart connection' (his words, not mine) is false teachings, and not in harmony with the Gospel of Christ. Recall that Christ himself said that anyone who causes one of the little ones to stumble, it would be better for him to never have been born - pretty strong statement about the degree to which we are to protect our children's hearts.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I will prayerfully consider your words. I do stand fully convinced in the physcial, emotional and spiritual damage being done to children through the teachings in this book.

:yes

Beth1231
02-06-2007, 05:41 PM
I just think it's odd that Phil takes half of his letter to talk about "God is no respector of persons" implying that we should not give children any special measure of grace, goes on to talk about his OWN sins and makes the conclusion that 1. Children and babies should be struck for their sins 2. He is forgiven by the grace of Jesus Christ :shrug Makes no sense.

Soliloquy
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I've read plenty of book reviews where I disagreed with the reviewer but I NEVER thought it necessary to write to them personally! It think this guy is creepy. If you do write a reply, I encourage you to keep it short and I love this point

But you can physically whack a "human who is young"?? :hunh :rolleyes

Add, "I cannot verbally whack my brother over the head but I should physically whack an infant?"

If he tries to continue to correspond with you, though, I would delete any future emails w/o reading them. I do think it's strange.