PDA

View Full Version : Sunday School Curriculum

haak
01-31-2007, 03:39 PM
At age 4 is it appropriate for children to learn about the following and if so how much?
- hell as a hot fiery place
- unbelievers go to hell
- spiritual warfare

I am asking because I don't know and our sunday school teaches some of these things. I do believe the above but I am concerned that a four year old is not able to grasp it (as I am not even able to completely understand these things).

Beauty4Ashes
01-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Wow, I'd be worried about that. I don't recall at what age I learned about hell in the Christian school where I attended, maybe 8? And even then, it seemed awfully harsh and scary. They're teaching that that young? Where's Jonah and the whale or David and Goliath? That seems more age appropriate to me :shrug

CelticJourney
01-31-2007, 06:24 PM
NO!

HuggaBuggaMommy
01-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I agree, no.

I teach the 4&5 year olds at my church, and our denominational curriculum has a different focus each quarter during the two-year program. Our scope is: Jesus is God, God Keeps His Promises, Living in God's Family, God Leads His People, God Created All Things and Jesus is Savior. There isnothing about Hell or unbelievers, or spiritual warfare. I know that some families do teach this to their young children (not me :no2 ), but it is not taught in Sunday school.

snlmama
01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
No. It's not appropriate.

Teribear
01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh my word. No way would I want my 4 year old exposed to that knowledge yet.

ArmsOfLove
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I would never teach a 4yo that :( that is horrible! My 4yo knows that God loves him, Jesus died and rose again for him, that he will go to heaven when he dies, that we are Christians. He's made his own profession of faith. But I don't theologically believe children need to reject Satan or feel guilty for sins they haven't yet committed in order to prove their salvation :shrug

Sister Ray
01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
NO.

Many people I know who turned away from Christianity as adults were taught heavy fire and brimstone stuff. They were not told about love or joy. Emphasising the punitive parts of Christianity is going to scare a kid. God loves them, Jesus' life, some biblical tales and parables, but not something that will scare them and that they cannot fully understand yet. Also, it's tied in a lot with the message to obey people, and not to actually do compassionate things. If all religion is to you is fear, you're not going to want to obey out of any reason but fear.

RubySlippers
01-31-2007, 09:22 PM
I do not believe it is age appropriate to teach that to young children. :no2

herbalmama
02-01-2007, 07:34 AM
dh always says if there is one chance to teach someone something, teach them that God is good.

although.. my dd knew that at 4.... but she kew alot of other stuff first, and she is just i hate the word advanced, but ... able to understand things like that at a very young age. ds will be 4 in june and is nowhere close to info like that. She also wanted to donate her birthday gifts to orphans and made a statement of faith at 4, then wept for her friends that had not yet... she just grasps that stuff well.

and it was me teaching her... not someone else

bliss
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
That was my salvation experience - I was either 3 or a young 4 and was in VBS. We were told graphically of hell, and that we were all going there if we did not come up to the front and repeat the prayer the "nice lady" :rolleyes led us in.
Let me just add my resounding NO!

katiekind
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
No. :no2

haak
02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought. So what age is that appropriate? Looks like I need to talk with someone at church.....

snlmama
02-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Thanks, that is what I thought. So what age is that appropriate? Looks like I need to talk with someone at church.....

30? :shifty

jenn3514
02-03-2007, 04:34 PM
:no2 Other than the other reasons listed, I would want my child to learn first that God is his friend, And I would want them to know and obey God for all the wonderful, oving t=reasons, not because they are afraid to go to ****.

Katherine
02-03-2007, 04:40 PM
fwiw, I can still vividly recall *and SEE* a terrifying nightmare I had after being taught in Sunday School that Satan can assume different shapes, and that he often takes the shape of something we like to lure us. :blush I dreamed about it, and laid in bed paralyzed for a long time afterward, convinced that one of the toys on my shelf was actually Satan, and would materialize if I ran for help or called out. :sick :blush

I have also wondered, though, when to introduce the concept, and I've struggled with how to address the issue with my now-5yo who tends to ask very penetrating and direct questions. :shifty :nails