PDA

View Full Version : icky moments at the mall last night

Beauty4Ashes
01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Dh and I and a friend of his went to the mall play area with the boys last night. Dh and his friend went to a store while I stayed at the play area. The first icky thing that happened was when ds1 had his sippy cup and a 14 month old boy tried to take it away. I wasn't too concerned about it, I mean, he's still so young and doesn't know how to share or about personal property or anything like that. Besides, ds1 wasn't really supposed to be drinking in the play area to begin with. The 14 month old's father (grandfather???) came up to him and slapped his hand and called him a bad boy. :jawdrop Then I said out loud when the boy's mother ( grandmother ???) was within ear shot, it's okay, I'll take the juice because I don't think it's a good idea for ds1 to be running around with his juice. The mother said, oh, don't make your son cry. Um, yeah, the way that your dh made your son cry by hitting his hand??? The boy came up and threw his arms around ds2 but kind of pushing him too. Ds2 hates for anyone to try to hold him, but he didn't protest. I said (again, the 14 month old's parents were near by) oh, ds2, the boy is trying to hug you. I was trying to assign positive intent.

The other thing that gave me the creeps was when I saw this couple leaning against the wall around the play area. At first it looked like the woman was much younger than the man, and the body language made me uncomfortable. I was trying to figure out if perhaps they had a child who was playing on the play ground, but couldn't find anyone to match with this couple. I don't know, maybe my mommy radar was on super sensitive, but I felt afraid and was half keeping an eye on them, even as I was watching my children. The man was kind of scruffy and so was the woman and they just looked out of place. Dh and his friend were only gone 15-20 minutes, but I was never so glad when they came back. Dh's friend is kind of husky and dh is also very strong. I felt more protected.

3PeasInAPod
01-30-2007, 05:43 PM
My DS is 14 mo & all I do is re-direct & re-direct again. He has no clue about personal property. :shrug
I can't imagine spanking/hitting my kid at any age, but to picture my own little 14 mo old, & to think a baby his age is getting smacked....I wonder what his future "discipline" (if you will) holds...it makes me so sad. :(

Beauty4Ashes
01-30-2007, 08:38 PM
You know, if that little boy had been older, I would have thought, hey people, you're the ones who taught him that bigger people can hit smaller ones just by your example. He was almost as big as ds2. They were just so rough with him. :mad :cry