PDA

View Full Version : time alone

Lantern Light Mama
01-28-2007, 10:38 AM
I havent read they whole thread but when I think about time away from the kids its in a different format. Like, wow it would be nice to shower without someone jumping in the tub with all their clothes on, or, Id get the grocery shopping done much faster alone, or hey, I could get a breast exam done and my well-woman check done. See, Dh is deployed like so many other Dh's, so this is not a real option for us. But honestly there are times when I feel like I need some time away from them, and its not because I dont love them or value them its because there are some things that are made 100 times harder by *** never*** ever having time alone, like thinking, or even writing this. I dont think people who say they need time alone are bad parents but I think that they could be in a hard season in life and not know how to deal with what they are going through. So it is not always selfish , emphasis on always. I believe there are legit reasons to need time alone.

Now do I deserve time alone? nope, I gave birth to them and they are my responsibility. :mrgreen Time alone does not equate selfishness.

Wonder Woman
01-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Crystal and I were just talking about this yesterday. Taking a break for yourself is not a bad thing! or a selfish thing :-)

I think the *mindset* of 'oh, these stupid kids! I just want to get away from them!' or 'my kid needs me but I'm taking a break instead' is a problem.

Getting some R and R time is most definitely NOT selfish! :hug

ArmsOfLove
01-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah, it's not selfish to be away from your kids; it's selfish to think of them as something to be escaped and an obstacle to being the real and complete you.

Thia
01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Kids have these energy reserves that have no bottom. A mom's energy definetly does. She needs time to recharge. With dh gone, I can't look to him to help with this and see the difference. You should see the laundry piling up. You are not alone. Hugs!

CelticJourney
01-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I never had a problem with taking/needing some time alone. I did have a problem with other people, especially those who don't know me well, telling me that I needed 'alone time' like it was a right. I think it is based on the individual.

Titus2Momof4
01-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I havent read they whole thread but when I think about time away from the kids its in a different format. Like, wow it would be nice to shower without someone jumping in the tub with all their clothes on, or, Id get the grocery shopping done much faster alone, or hey, I could get a breast exam done and my well-woman check done. See, Dh is deployed like so many other Dh's, so this is not a real option for us. But honestly there are times when I feel like I need some time away from them, and its not because I dont love them or value them its because there are some things that are made 100 times harder by *** never*** ever having time alone, like thinking, or even writing this. I dont think people who say they need time alone are bad parents but I think that they could be in a hard season in life and not know how to deal with what they are going through. So it is not always selfish , emphasis on always. I believe there are legit reasons to need time alone.

Now do I deserve time alone? nope, I gave birth to them and they are my responsibility. :mrgreen Time alone does not equate selfishness.

Actually, I disagree--I think you *do* deserve some time alone ;) That doesn't have to mean a weekend away from the kids, but for goodness sakes, a trip to the OB-GYN withOUT kids is nice :) I am essentially solo-parenting, b/c dh works so many hours (about 65-70/wk), so I can relate.... but at least I know that my dh will be home every night- even though this is after the kids go to bed, but still- better than being totally alone 24/7 :hugs I hear you saying something like... you don't think people who say they need time alone are bad parents, but that you are just in a different position, so maybe you get irked by that thought?? :hug

Lantern Light Mama
02-21-2007, 10:40 AM
yeah. something like that! Which is why I am never online anymore, plus the computer is still broken and its not a priority to get a new one at the moment. DH is on R&R soon and he thinks hes going to give me a little breathing room. :giggle