PDA

View Full Version : Finally defending myself--but from the wrong people

Katherine
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
This is quite personal, but I'm posting here on a public forum, in the hope that it might help someone *get* how physically invasive punishment and philosophy/religion devoid of personal boundary-setting really can affect people. Something came into focus for me today, and I finally understood what/why I feel the way I do at certain times.

My oldest son is going through a really tough time... sad, weepy, hostile, aggressive, angry, moody. We're in the process of finding a new allergist and thus not being strict with diet except for his anaphylactic triggers, and I strongly suspect based on past experience that his diet is driving the behavior. Still.. it's VERY hard when he's showing such uncharacteristic aggression toward everyone, including me.

This morning, he was frustrated and hit me (not hard) over something small. Instead of calmly stating a boundary and addressing the real upset behind his behavior, I just whirled on him in an instant--the aggression has been so much worse than usual lately, and I had *HAD* it. The feeling that surged up in me has become familiar in recent years, but not present before that. I don't remember feeling it... well, rarely, if ever.. growing up or in my 20's. In the last couple of years I've felt it often, and mainly towards my husband and kids, during that time. :blush It was like a tidal wave of self-defensive instinct.... held back for a lifetime and now ROARING to the surface whenever I feel threatened, mistreated, or taken advantage of. :( The mental response is "YOU WILLLL NOOOOTT HURT ME!" It's overwhelming, and there have been times I've hit or yelled back reflexively without even having time to mentally process the moment. :blush (and I can literally count on one hand the number of times I had yelled at someone before I turned thirty, and I had never hit anyone since I was a very small child and squabbled with my sister--rarely even then--except for spanking my oldest. Thank you, Mr. Pearl, for helping me conquer my reluctance to strike other people :cry :mad)

I believe what I'm feeling is the need to set a boundary... to protect myself. It's not an unhealthy thing, but it's something that children were not encouraged--or permitted--to do in the religious mindest I was raised in. How many of us were told not to put our hands back to protect our bottoms when being spanked, or given more licks for wiggling away, resisting, verbally protesting, or fighting back? How many of us received the spanking in the first place for asserting ourselves, expressing contradiction to an adult, or displaying a negative response to something we were supposed to be accepting of?

The lack of boundaries theme continued as we grew out of childhood.... we were to be docile and accepting under the authority of teachers, church leaders... to "turn the other cheek" when we were injured or personally attacked. Wives were to be docile and subservient toward their husbands in both principle and practice. And on and on... Prayer, continued obedience, and submissiveness (as a testimony to the offending party) were the answers to all but the most grotesque cases of authority being abused. In severe cases, one was advised to appeal to church leadership and follow their directive, even if they instructed you to acquiesce to the mistreatment. :( Onward, Christian soldiers doormats, eh? :hunh :scratch

From the time they are small, children who are physically punished are forced to suppress that most basic fight or flight instinct. They must restrain themselves from fleeing injury and resist the urge to fight back when provoked. To many children who have been punished on a routine basis, even by parents who are otherwise loving and well-meaning, there is something familiar and comfortable--albeit still unpleasant--about being hurt by someone with whom they share an intimate relationship. It doesn't set off the alarm bells like it should. It doesn't feel unnatural or unacceptable like it should. It's not a deal-breaker in their developing relationships. That aspect of their discernment has been dulled over time. Other children become so hyper-sensitive to being hurt that they push all relationships away, or are intolerant of the normal stumbles and mistakes that occur in human relationships.

I reached a crossroads in my life where certain situations could NOT be allowed to continue, and it was at that point I began learning what boundaries were... how to set them... how to respect the boundaries of others, especially those in my care... the difference between controlling others and protecting myself, etc. I began to delve back into the Scripture, earnestly revisiting the passages which I had always believed supported corporeal punishment and power-centerd relational structures such as wife-only submission. I was prepared to follow God's Word--whatever I found there--but I had also resolved to look at the Scripture without presupposing my former beliefs. What I began to learn has been life-changing... but it is still a work in progress.

Granting myself permission to set boundaries has unleashed a lifetime of pent-up self-preservation, and sometimes it pours out at the wrong moments, on the wrong people, and in the wrong way. :blush At least now I understand what it is and why it surges up in me at inopportune moments.

hsgbdmama
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
:hugheart ITU, I really do. :hugheart :cry

GodChick
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Thank you for posting that. I related to a lot of what you said. :hug2

ArmsOfLove
01-18-2007, 02:43 PM
that is very insightful, Paula, and I really appreciate your willingness to be vulnerable and share it publically. You are learning a lot about yourself--and you're right, it's a process :hug

UltraMother
01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
That's a total lightbulb for me.

deena
01-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Paula, wow, that was really interesting. I have had a similar break through, although not so much with the hitting. For me the issue was about being passive verses being assertive. As you mentioned, there are so many ways in which passivity was reinforced growing up. By the time I was an adult, assertiveness was pretty much equivalent to sin in my mind. So when I met my husband, a very aggressive man I immediately fell in love. Here was a guy who could stand up for me, do all the dirty aggressive stuff, and I could stay perfect and sinless. Weird, huh? That's how twisted that stuff is. It took me years to get a back bone myself. And I've grown leaps and bounds the past few months here on GCM! All the debating has really taught me to stand up for myself. I can definitely say I'm not afraid to be assertive when justice needs to be defended. I'm so different than I was ten years ago. I've changed for the better.

gentlemommy
01-19-2007, 11:24 PM

Chris3jam
01-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Thank you for sharing! :heart Now. . .. how do deal with the fallout of developing a "back bone"?

Our family is a bit in a state of flux. . .I am also "growing a backbone". . ..but it seems to be causing problems within the family. :( So. .. . have you had any "fallout"? Anybody resisting the "change"?

Katherine
01-20-2007, 09:12 AM
oh no!!! No fallout whatsoever! :laughtears :shifty (kidding)

Yes, unfortunately, Chris, there was quite a bit of fallout. Unhealthy people gravitate toward other unhealthy people, and they learn to function in relation to each other. When one person breaks out of that cycle, it throws everyone else's world into disarray and they don't like it.

For the other people in our lives, it's like having the person who preps and serves their food go on a huge health kick that they weren't mentally or emotionally prepped for--and definitely are not supportive of. All the sudden the greasy salty meats, butter-soaked potatos, soft drinks, and heaping desserts are replaced with steamed vegis and rice, water, and salad. :hunh It wasn't THEIR decision to make these changes and maybe they don't even understand yet that it really IS better for everyone. They can choose not to eat it, but they can't force the cook to serve something different, and it's really infuriating. They might even go elsewhere to find the unhealthiness that they crave and are comfortable with. :(

When you decide to make changes to yourself--to be a more healthy person, it's scary b/c you don't know if the people you love are going to decide to change along with you or not... and you can't force them. :shrug The tension gets more intense for a while because you're going in different directions (and, honestly, b/c there's a learning curve to setting boundaries, and--as I shared--sometimes we don't go about it the right way when it's new to us). Eventually the people who want to be a part of your life (or who ARE a part of your life by default) will have to find a new way to relate to you b/c the old ways just don't work anymore. Maybe they will move closer to where you are emotionally/spiritually, or maybe they will put more distance between you. I've personally had both things happen, but I've also seen that the people who REALLY love me and want to be in my life *eventually* (and in my case, this has usually meant years)took steps to get healthier along with me so that we can relate better to one another. :heart

deena
01-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Unhealthy people gravitate toward other unhealthy people, and they learn to function in relation to each other. When one person breaks out of that cycle, it throws everyone else's world into disarray and they don't like it.

How true.

Katherine
01-20-2007, 10:42 AM
As you mentioned, there are so many ways in which passivity was reinforced growing up. By the time I was an adult, aggressiveness was pretty much equivalent to sin in my mind. So when I met my husband, a very aggressive man I immediately fell in love.

I can totally identify with this, too. :yes :giggle I had to laugh when I read it, though. "Aggressiveness is sin... OH! An aggressive man--I'm in love! " :lol

I *totally* get what you're saying though. Isn't ironic that when we suppress the healthy equivalent of something (assertiveness is the healthy equivalent to aggressiveness) we end up seeking it out somehow and usually end up with an imbalanced manifestation of it either in ourselves or in our relationships?

deena
01-20-2007, 11:53 AM
I can totally identify with this, too. :yes :giggle I had to laugh when I read it, though. "Aggressiveness is sin... OH! An aggressive man--I'm in love! " :lol

I *totally* get what you're saying though. Isn't ironic that when we suppress the healthy equivalent of something (assertiveness is the healthy equivalent to aggressiveness) we end up seeking it out somehow and usually end up with an imbalanced manifestation of it either in ourselves or in our relationships?

:yes

Aisling
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks for sharing this. :heart :hug2

RubySlippers
01-20-2007, 01:59 PM
This is a very insightful thread, Paula. :heart

mom2threePKs
01-21-2007, 06:11 AM
From the time they are small, children who are physically punished are forced to suppress that most basic fight or flight instinct. They must restrain themselves from fleeing injury and resist the urge to fight back when provoked.... That aspect of their discernment has been dulled over time. .

I know that in the throes of toddlerhood and high activity preschooolers it is hard to convince parents to consider the long term. It is much easier to put on day to day goggles and say "It works" because johnny doesn't push buttons on the DVD player anymore. But the idea that we could permanently (or semipermanently :hug2) turn off our God given defenses against evil is just chilling. I don't know if that would ring bells for other parents but for me that would be enough to say spanking, FTO and submissiveness isn't worth the cost.

Thanks for posting this Paula. Your experiences as a child and as an adult looking back are soooooooooooo convicting!

Magan

fourbzboysmom
01-21-2007, 09:36 AM
:hug2 I can really identify. I'm so glad you are working through this AND that you are sharing so others can learn with you. :heart :heart :heart

maddiegrant
01-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Reading your post was so encouraging. I too am going back and looking at childhood issues which make me react more strongly to daily issues that are not that big of a deal. Thank you so much for sharing openly about your struggles. It takes courage to look back at those injuries and much more courage to decide NOT to continue generational sins. :clap

Learnin'2B
01-25-2007, 01:10 AM
oh no!!! No fallout whatsoever! :laughtears :shifty (kidding)

Yes, unfortunately, Chris, there was quite a bit of fallout. Unhealthy people gravitate toward other unhealthy people, and they learn to function in relation to each other. When one person breaks out of that cycle, it throws everyone else's world into disarray and they don't like it.

For the other people in our lives, it's like having the person who preps and serves their food go on a huge health kick that they weren't mentally or emotionally prepped for--and definitely are not supportive of. All the sudden the greasy salty meats, butter-soaked potatos, soft drinks, and heaping desserts are replaced with steamed vegis and rice, water, and salad. :hunh It wasn't THEIR decision to make these changes and maybe they don't even understand yet that it really IS better for everyone. They can choose not to eat it, but they can't force the cook to serve something different, and it's really infuriating. They might even go elsewhere to find the unhealthiness that they crave and are comfortable with. :(

When you decide to make changes to yourself--to be a more healthy person, it's scary b/c you don't know if the people you love are going to decide to change along with you or not... and you can't force them. :shrug The tension gets more intense for a while because you're going in different directions (and, honestly, b/c there's a learning curve to setting boundaries, and--as I shared--sometimes we don't go about it the right way when it's new to us). Eventually the people who want to be a part of your life (or who ARE a part of your life by default) will have to find a new way to relate to you b/c the old ways just don't work anymore. Maybe they will move closer to where you are emotionally/spiritually, or maybe they will put more distance between you. I've personally had both things happen, but I've also seen that the people who REALLY love me and want to be in my life *eventually* (and in my case, this has usually meant years) took steps to get healthier along with me so that we can relate better to one another. :heart

Your first post struck a chord, this one tolled the bell! I get it so much more clearly now. Thank you. :heart and God bless you in Jesus' name!! :ptl Because we are getting better! And identifying and understanding the problem is a huge chunk of the way there, IMO. Now we can focus less on what's wrong and be more proactive towards what is right....If that makes sense...it's late and my laptop battery has started to beep at me....

Lois
01-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Thanks so much for posting that. It summerized some stuff that I was feeling as well but not able to put into words and really think about how to go about changing things.