PDA

View Full Version : Explaing why our pastor spanks (to a 5-year-old)???

HuggaBuggaMommy
01-14-2007, 01:01 PM
My five-year-old is starting to be vocal about GBD. When his grandfather said that ds would be "punished" for something, ds said, "I can't be punished, because Jesus already was punished for me. But I can be disciplined, and Mommy says that means she's teaching me how to be a disciple for Jesus. Like John and the other guys." :lol

But, here's his question now: "How come Pastor B. doesn't know what the Bible says about spanking? He's a pastor, he should know."

How do I answer that? I tried the "Well, different people read the Bible differently," route, but it didn't work, because - in ds's mind - the pastor should know more about God than his mommy. I don't want him to have a distrust for clergy, or a disrespect... :scratch

Ideas?

Heather Micaela
01-14-2007, 01:17 PM
the pastor should know more about God than his mommy.
well, I want my kids to trust the Bible - not a person. There a many poeple w/ a blind trust in authority and that can be very dangerous.

I would tell the truth, that the Pastor studies the Bible and in most areas is well informed, but like all people is not perfect - and in this subject he has trusted what other people taught him rather than really study for himself.

Then you can go into the importance of studying God's word.

Quiteria
01-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Perhaps find an example of a disciple who needed to be corrected, such as Paul's discussion with Peter? Or better, one in which Jesus was speaking? Then talk about how everyone has mistakes and misunderstandings?