PDA

View Full Version : calling BFandHS...re: Pearl/Ezzo

Beauty4Ashes
01-11-2007, 08:34 AM
BFandHS and I were on another yahoo group together, actually she is the one who brought me to gcm. On this other group, the emphasis was on headcovering, but natural living, making one's own clothing, growing all your own foods, baking breads, canning, could also be discussed. The women tended to be on the AP spectrum, as far as co-sleeping and bf'ing, but punitive. Think of a cross between Dr. Sears and Michael Pearl. I remember feeling sort of out of place because for one thing, I don't have the time or the resources to make my own clothing, no room for a garden, and therefore had no use for canning. It almost seemed like a woman is less of a Christian if she doesn't do all that stuff. I wonder if in order for a woman to have this type of life style if using Pearl/Ezzo would be kind of a necessity. How else would a woman be able to keep a clean house and care for her children plus bake her own bread, sew her own clothing, etc. I am contemplating making my own bread, rather than using store bought, to avoid the high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils that many breads contain, but worry that I would be losing time for my children or become more punitive trying to achieve an all natural life style. I don't know if I am making any sense, I was contemplating this last night at the grocery store.

Hermana Linda
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I don't believe that it would ever be a necessity. :no2 It might make life easier, but that would not make it right. I have always struggled with keeping a clean house, it's just not really my thing to clean. I was not raised to clean, it was never important in my family of origin. :shrug What was important was learning, and that I'm very good at. :yes But I have learned a lot about keeping a clean house and my house is way cleaner than my parents' house. Making time to do everything is hard, it takes dedication and organization. As the kids get bigger, they will get more reasonable. I'm sure that God would never have made it necessary for moms to abuse their children in order to fill their duties, it just does not make sense.

Rbonmom
01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
I think the focus of Ezzo and Pearl people is to make children as "convenient" as possible, which seems like an oxymoron to me :giggle Seriously though, my sister was telling me how she and her dh (punitive, ezzo-types) would love to teach a class to other parents on how to make your children fit into your life. They think it's ridiculous that some parents work around a kids sleep schedule, demand feed, etc... They like to be able to go and visit with friend all hours of the day and night, and just be able to take their kids along. That's fine, if that's what you want to do, but the whole attitude that kids should just totally "fit" into your life, without you having to sacrifice misses a great opportunity for parents to learn servant hood, patience, etc... IMO.

bliss
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Well, Bible scholars correct me, but I don't suppose the Proverbs 31 woman followed a Pearl or Ezzo type parenting philosophy, and they did everything by hand. . .that's where community and mothers helping each other comes in, so our children don't have to be little robots that will sit still for 2 hours so we can sew on our sewing, or bake bread, etc.

Rbonmom
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Oh, and on a practical note, I wanted to add that I also searched for a bread that didn't have hydrogenated oils or high fructose cs. I found one by pepperidge farms called "natural whole grain, german dark wheat" and it uses molassas as the sweetener, plus it tastes good :yes

Quiteria
01-12-2007, 12:33 AM
I can see where it would be more tempting to fall into that if you felt the pressure to do all that, though as someone said, not what God intended (the punitive part I mean). OTOH, I do know one mama who does a lot of that stuff and just lets other things slide or relies on older kids cooperation. :shrug I think she spanks, but she's not as punitive as what you're describing. So, I guess I'm saying some of it could be done if you were naturally good at that sort of thing and did it as your main hobby/recreation. :scratch

oliamch
01-12-2007, 04:56 AM
Okay...I do most of that stuff...I cloth diaper, and knit all my own soakers...I knit socks/hats/jerseys for the family, I sew many of my children's and my own clothes, we bake our own bread and have just started preserving...and I am soo not into Pearl/Ezzo. :sick..but my house runs orderly and for the most part smoothly...the trick is to get the kids to do it with you!!! :yes :yes

Oh...and my eldest turned five yesterday, my twins are two and a bit and my bubba is 5 months old...so be encouraged, it can be done...just start with the bread...and go easy on yourself by using a no knead recipe...10 minutes to froth the yeast, 10 minutes to mix( that is with all 3 kids having a turn at putting some seeds/grain etc and trying to mix!), in the oven for 55 minutes and voila...bread for today's lunch and leftovers for tomorrow!

And I am not trying to sound skity :O

Singingmom
01-12-2007, 06:12 AM
oliamch,

I've never even heard of a no knead yeast bread! Would you be willing to post that recipe with your directions in the cookbook forum? :)

Beauty4Ashes
01-12-2007, 11:14 AM
oliamch, how do you do it? I would love to be more crafty and crochet for my children, but if I sit down, they need me asap...

Zipporah
01-12-2007, 09:11 PM
..the trick is to get the kids to do it with you!!! :yes :yes

I know several large, 'simple living' families and that's pretty much the attitude they've taken-they seem so much more 'in control' than the families who take the 'ezzo-oid' approach.

oliamch
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Okay, I do a lot of my knitting /crochet/craft once the kiddos are in bed...we do have good sleepers here..so that definitelyis a big factor!

Also...my kids aren't really touchers...in that I can leave out some knitting on the couch and they will move it out of the way to sit down but not play with it or unravel it etc, so that makes it easier to just do bits here and ther. (Of course I don't leave anything near bubs!) Also, my kids are often happy to play around me, if I sit on the floor I can often talk to them, look at their toys or whatever and knit at the same time.

Oh and we read lots of books all the time, and sometimes we have a quiet time and the three bigger ones will sit on the couch for 15-20 minutes and read to each other (ykwim...only the 5 year old can actually read of course!)

I will post the bread recipe...it is quite cakey, but my kids love it, and it toasts great the next morning!

Our lifestyle is becoming slower all of the time, so we can fit in a lot of "natural living" cos we don't rush to playgroups/music/out and about etc. And of course not having to do a school run each day gives us extra time to bake etc.