PDA

View Full Version : feeling guilty about the past

Jenny
12-30-2006, 11:19 PM
The more I learn about GBD and try to put it into practice, the more I beat myself up emotionally over things I did in the past...

I never felt good about spanking, but my parents and some others whose opinions I really respected kept pushing it, and I read the Dobson books and thought he had a reasonable argument for spanking. Over the summer my dh, ds, and I went on a week-long vacation with my parents and their best friends who have 2 daughters. My parents and their friends are strong supporters of spanking, and E was acting up a LOT those first couple of days there. I know, and I knew then, that he was acting out because it was an 8 hour drive to get there and because he was adjusting to the change of not being at home in his usual routine. But by the third time dh had to take him out of a restaurant and out to the car to calm down because he was screaming, I was miserable. I felt like a huge failure, and I kept getting the "spank him" advice. I ended up in tears in the restaurant because I felt like I was failing so terribly as a parent-- because of the huge public meltdowns AND because four people who I really respect were telling me he'd straighten up if I'd just "make" him behave by spanking him. So dh and I spanked him when we felt like he "needed" it for the rest of the trip. :cry It appeared to work and it got everyone off my back, but I was unhappy about it. After the trip we still spanked him sometimes, but I kept feeling like it just wasn't right. Then I would re-read the Dobson stuff and see his point.

But then a friend told me about GCM. She had mentioned a message board before and I asked her the name of it. She simply told me the name, so I came here to see what it was all about. It has been such a relief to find parents who DON'T believe in punitive OR permissive methods. This site and the books I've read have been wonderful for me and my family; I can tell a huge difference in myself as a parent and in E already, and the approaches I am now using feel SO much more natural. We're not spanking or using time-outs, I'm learning to understand the reasons behind his behavior, I'm learning to be more patient. I could fill pages with the successes I've had with GBD just in the past month. I feel closer to E and much more in tune with him. We're both happier.

But I still feel so guilty.

The spanking isn't the only thing I feel guilty about, either. We used time-outs and I remember talking about how well they worked. We let him CIO when he was a baby (not a newborn, but still, we did it). He's a spirited child, and if you know anything about spirited kids, they're persistent. They'll keep crying, louder and louder. That's exactly what he did, and it made me feel awful, but I felt like it was the only way to get him to sleep through the night.

And I feel terrible about even admitting this one, but I have to get it off my chest... When he switched from a crib to a toddler bed, he would get up and come out of his room ALL the time, no matter how many times we put him back in his bed. So I started locking him in from the outside. That makes me feel so ashamed now. I can't believe I did that to him. He would stand at the door and yell for me and cry, and sometimes I would go in there and get him back to bed, then lock the door again. After a while he got used to knowing he couldn't come out of his room and he stopped trying, so I stopped locking him in. Learned helplessness, basically. Please don't tell me how horrid I was for doing that... I already know. :cry :sick

And then there are the things I didn't do that I wish I *had* done. Breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby-wearing. I wish I could go back to the day he was born with the knowledge I have now. Lately I have desperately been wanting another baby, for many reasons, but one of them is because I want so badly to do things differently.

Most of the time I don't beat myself up about this stuff. I usually remind myself that I didn't know a better way at the time, that it's in the past, that I'm doing things differently from now on, etc. But lately I've been thinking about it all and feeling rotten.

I had to get all that off my chest.

:bheart

hey mommy
12-31-2006, 12:54 AM
:hug2
I could have wrote that post... I have the same feelings... I actually kept my Dobson books in the bathroom and would read them often.. :(

Mother Duck
12-31-2006, 01:38 AM
I too could have written your post :hug2

What I am learning is that I cannot change the past, and feeling guilty is not doing anything positive for me or my child(ren) so I am trying to just let go those feelings of guilt. I cannot change the past, but I can effect the present in a positve way!

:hug

ProudMommaof2
12-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I am new to GBD too, and feel guilty about things from the past too! :hug2 You are not alone, and we are in this journey to a better way together. Think about the positive changes you have made, remind yourself that when we repent of our sins God is faithful and just to forgive us, and He even "throws them into the sea of forgetfulness." I have the same challenge of trying to forgive myself...that is the hardest part, but it is the only way to move forward. We have to offer ourselves the same grace God does. :heart

Jenny
12-31-2006, 04:24 PM
:hug Thanks, everyone.

Wonder Woman
12-31-2006, 04:30 PM
:hugheart

Aisling
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I think we ALL have specific things we've done that we seriously regret. :hug2 Which is why a grace based life style is so precious...God has such grace for us as parents, it enables us to keep passing it on to our kids! His mercy is truly new every morning! :bfly :hug :amen

CelticJourney
12-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Grace is for mommies, too!!

mom2threePKs
01-02-2007, 03:39 PM
One of the amazing things about children is that they truly are resilient. We want to do the best we can by them BUT the beauty of a child is that when we don't do they best, they pick up the slack by being resilient. So yes, give yourself grace. Forgive yourself. And be grateful that God knew you'd do a few things that probably could be done better and He built children with that in mind.

:hug2 :hug2 :hug2 :hug2

Magan - who's very loving, well-meaning parents locked me in my room as a toddler and I don't have any weird issues about closed doors or small spaces as an adult.

Jenny
01-02-2007, 04:11 PM
Magan - who's very loving, well-meaning parents locked me in my room as a toddler and I don't have any weird issues about closed doors or small spaces as an adult.

Good to hear... :phew

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate the kind words and understanding!
:grouphug

fourbzboysmom
01-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Jenny,

You aren't alone :hug2.
I don't know a single mama with experience that doesn't have some regrets. My own mom now--seeing how GBD works in our family--says how she wishes she had done things differently. She really encourages me and affirms my mothering choices (there have been so many changes over 19.5 years!). I have told her many times, "When you knew better, you did better--and so did I. It's okay Mom. Allow yourself to be forgiven."

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

Laurie

allisonintx
01-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Ummm, last time I looked His Grace covers you and your parenting, too!

Let it go :hug . Once you've asked forgivness, it is as far as the East from the West. We all do the things that we hope are the best, and ARE the best we know how to do at the time, even if we are coming around to knowing better.

BornFreeBaby
01-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I have always liked Maya Angelou and have kept some of her quotes. She says "It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all."

When you know better now, and you can do better now than before. You did the best you could given the resources you had. You have new God-lead and God-inspired resources now where you can change and do better.

The more you do GBD the more confidence you will have in the midst of situations like those. I've said this before, but I was amazed how not permissive Crystal was with her children and how loving she was in her boundries. I have learned a lot from meeting her and reading her books, and over the last year I have grown in my knowledge to better advocate for myself in those situations.