PDA

View Full Version : another question...controlling your children. biblical?

Beauty4Ashes
12-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Can someone please explain this to me, where does the punitive person get the idea that controlling their children is biblical? :popcorn

hsgbdmama
12-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Just taking a guess here ... it comes out of Proverbs and the rod verses. Maybe too the part about an elder maintaining control over his household? :think

:popcorn

SouthPaw
12-20-2006, 07:44 PM
i think it goes with their concept of authority.....

Beauty4Ashes
12-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Okay, another foolish question, but what is the definition of an elder "maintaining control over his household"? Is it one where everyone is in order, say military style?

Chris3jam
12-21-2006, 06:16 AM
Many people preach it that way. .. a military style 'lining up under authority'. So you have God --> Man --> Woman --> Child. And God 'deals' with the man (and 'controls' him), man 'controls' the woman, parents 'control' the child. It's all about the line of authority, and the man 'being in control' of his household. That is pretty much how it is preached here (at our church).

Wonder Woman
12-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Many people preach it that way. .. a military style 'lining up under authority'. So you have God --> Man --> Woman --> Child. And God 'deals' with the man (and 'controls' him), man 'controls' the woman, parents 'control' the child. It's all about the line of authority, and the man 'being in control' of his household. That is pretty much how it is preached here (at our church).

Add to that - the older children control the younger and the younger children control their toys (ala Pearl) and you'd have my childhood.

Control, of course, being a euphemism for hitting.

Although my dad never hits my mom.... :think but they believe God hits us, mom hits kids, older kids hit younger kids, etc.

There's no Biblical basis for it. :shrug