PDA

View Full Version : anyone want to pm with me re: these EE writings?

Beauty4Ashes
12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
I really don't want to tie up gcm with this, but every time I read something with EE, there is something that bothers me about it. On one hand, it sort of makes sense but on the other hand, it sounds awfully harsh. Would anyone like to pm back and forth about this?

Bonnie
12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
EE?

Six Little Feet
12-15-2006, 01:23 PM
EE?

yeah EE???

Beauty4Ashes
12-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Sorry, Elisabeth Elliot. Any takers?

Heather Micaela
12-15-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm game - not sure what help I can be but I'll try

Savmom
12-15-2006, 02:15 PM
I have only recently heard of EE, but I do not know anything about her. Is there somewhere I could get info? Or am I asking you to :can

Bonnie
12-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Might be worth a shot in IF... I've heard lots, but haven't read her myself. Have kind of chosen not to after talking to some ladies who heard her speak at a retreat I missed due to illness. The issue then was her assertion that abused women should submit and stay (I don't know what her actual wording was, but that was definitely the meaning that they all came away with).

Mamatoto
12-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I've read lots of EE. We can talk about it here, if you want. :-)

TulipMama
12-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I know I haven't been jumping in much, but I'm glad you've been having group discussions about this. *huuuug*

hiddenhippie6
12-15-2006, 05:11 PM

:popcorn

Beauty4Ashes
12-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I have only recently heard of EE, but I do not know anything about her. Is there somewhere I could get info? Or am I asking you to :can

I just recently heard of her, too. If you search gcm for Elisabeth Elliot, you will find a couple of threads about her. In one of them, someone gave quite a bit of biographical information ( :laughtears I was about to write biological information) Or if you search Elisabeth Elliot on google, she has her own website.

I know I haven't been jumping in much, but I'm glad you've been having group discussions about this. *huuuug*

Thanks, though I fear that sometimes the punitive nature of her writings might get into my head, esp. if I am having a rough spot with dh...

Okay, I wasn't sure if it would look like I was advocating punitive methods if I posted her stuff. It appears that alot of what she writes that this anonymous person on another board that I am on is available on the internet. I could just post a broken link and then put quotes of what seems to be disturbing or :scratch Is this board the best place to put it, or is there another board which would be better?

Chris3jam
12-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Is it really that bad? I mean, it's normal, run-of-the-mill, regular punitive stuff, right? :shrug

Beauty4Ashes
12-16-2006, 01:15 PM
I guess you could say that, but it just rubs me the wrong way. How can I put this? I mean it sounds like plain old common sense, but then there's the ick factor. Then I find myself wondering, is it that I am permissive? Where do you draw the line?

Katherine
12-16-2006, 02:55 PM
She presents things in a way that really pull you in and play a great deal on the guilt factor and how a Christian "ought" to be, IMO. In many ways her writing manner reminds me of Pearl.

Now, I'll add the disclaimer that it's been years since I've read something by her. I was deeply affected by some of her books as a young woman, and thought they were great (her ideas about women) but [looking around to duck tomatoes] with the experiences and growth that has occurred in my life as an adult, as a woman, as a wife, and as s a mother since then, I can see just how her ideas reinforced principles which have had a terribly damaging effect on my life. No offense to those here who I know like her books.

I respect the work she did, and certain personal characteristics about her, but I would never place myself under her teachings again. :no2

katiekind
12-16-2006, 03:21 PM
I think it's fine to evaluate the ideas here. If you are planning to provide quotations from Elizabeth Elliot's work, just be aware of our guidelines vis a vis copyrighted material: we ask that quotations of copyrighted material be kept to about 100 words.

:grin