PDA

View Full Version : Tedd Tripp offering a more grace-based perspective?

Katherine
12-14-2006, 07:08 AM
There was a thread a while back where we talked about how Tedd Tripp seems to be moving toward a less adversarial POV. (if I'm remembering correctly, at least)

Anyone remember? Can you help me find it or point me to the links that support this? I couldn't find it browsing and don't remember the title.

something glorious
12-14-2006, 07:25 AM
i woul be interested in this info as well....i am working on composing a letter to a former pastor to try to convince that church to stop handing out copies of "SACH" to families when they dedicate their children :sick2 i guess having the author renounce/ammend some of his teachings would be a GREAT starting place :tu

katiekind
12-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Well, Tulipmama and I both found this very nice article by Ted Tripp to be encouraging, and made us hope and pray that he might begin to change his mind. I'm not aware of him renouncing anything he has written in the Shepherding a Child's Heart book, though. But I'm praying for that to happen. It would be so awesome!

http://www.eucatastrophe.com/blog/archives/2005/04/23/keeping-grace-in-place-by-tedd-tripp/

ChristmasGirl
12-14-2006, 08:35 AM
well, I don't know if this is what you're thinking of, but i had posted about Reb Bradley having "changed" some of his views BUT I cannot find the post now :scratch

I have a link to the article, but their site seems to be down right now. www. familyministries.com/HS_Crisis.htm

(I edited because my quotes were too long for board rules)

deena
12-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Thanks for sharing that SusieSnowflake. It was very refreshing to hear someone be honest about their mistakes.

This Busy Mom
12-14-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for sharing that SusieSnowflake. It was very refreshing to hear someone be honest about their mistakes.

I didn't finish reading it... it sounds very powerful :yes

Katherine
12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
The Bradly article is very encouraging! I read the whole thing a while back.

And, yes, Katiekind, that's the link I was looking for. He hasn't renounced or corrected his oritinal material that I'm aware of... just published something that had a different lean to them.

Thanks!

Strumbelina
12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
That was a wonderful article from Ted Tripp. I have never read his book, and don't plan to. I will say, if this article was all I knew of him, I would think he was pro-GBD.
Interesting.

TulipMama
12-15-2006, 05:05 PM
I believe Tedd Tripp has the theological underpinnings to support GBD, but is still caught up in his cultural Christian assumptions about what "good" parenting is "supposed to" look like. I read some of what he writes and it feels like he walks right up to the edge of applying the Gospel to our children and parenting, and then doesn't take the next step to grace discipline, but turns back into what it familiar.

Still, there is a lot of yucky, yucky stuff in SACH. :bheart

deena
12-16-2006, 12:33 AM
I believe Tedd Tripp has the theological underpinnings to support GBD, but is still caught up in his cultural Christian assumptions about what "good" parenting is "supposed to" look like. I read some of what he writes and it feels like he walks right up to the edge of applying the Gospel to our children and parenting, and then doesn't take the next step to grace discipline, but turns back into what it familiar.

Still, there is a lot of yucky, yucky stuff in SACH. :bheart

That's good way of putting it.

I also wanted to say that he made a great point in the article about making his family an idol. I never thought of it that way and it is true. I think that is something we here at GCM should be on guard about too. :pray2