PDA

View Full Version : Theology Unplugged's discussion of a few of the popular rod verses

Punkie
12-06-2006, 01:10 PM
Has anyone listened to the latest podcast from Theology Unplugged? They are from DTS, which means I don't necessarily always agree with their theology, but that made me even happier to hear their discussion.

In the latest podcast about Biblical inerrancy ( http://www.podcastdirectory.com/podshows/947271 ) they talk about several scriptures that are used for pro-spanking issues, including Lamentations 3 and Proverbs 22, and I thought it was interesting. I was very encouraged to hear more conservative theologians discussing that God is not striking us with his rod / removing mercy and that "training up your child in the way he should go" does not mean that there is a perfect formula to follow and that we can thus judge parents whose children have gone astray.

If you have some spare time and like podcasts, then I think it is worth checking out. :)

katiekind
12-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Gonna check that out! Thanks Punkie!!!

Beauty4Ashes
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
:O I'm going to look foolish, but how do you listen to a podcast? Do you need any special equipment? :hiding

hsgbdmama
12-07-2006, 01:03 PM
:O I'm going to look foolish, but how do you listen to a podcast? Do you need any special equipment? :hiding

Either RealPlayer (can be downloaded for free) or Windows Media Player (included with XP and probably earlier versions of Windows) is all that is needed! :hug

Punkie
12-07-2006, 04:19 PM
You can also listen and subscribe via iTunes (also free).

herbalwriter
12-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Punky, was it part 1, 2 or 3?

Crawfish Monica
12-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I love podcast recommendations! Esp. those dealing with parenting! Thanks so much!

Crawfish Monica
12-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Also, what does "DTS" mean?

Rbonmom
12-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Dallas Theological Seminary

Strumbelina
12-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Punkie, this was great. I just listened to it! :tu Like you, I am so happy it was from a very conservative standpoint, because it is those of us in that POV that need to understand this issue and really use our brains to understand that by holding to a rigid inerrancy view we are actually coming up with unBiblical and extraBiblical ideas.

I want Camille to listen. I would love to hear her thoughts on this!
Camille?

Rbonmom
12-11-2006, 11:39 AM
I also really enjoyed it. I couldn't put my finger on what it was that frustrates me about the way my BIL looks at much of scripture (mainly pertaining to rod verses) but it's that "ridgid inerrancy". Thanks for sharing :tu

herbalwriter
12-11-2006, 07:53 PM
I listened to part 1 - foudn it rather disturbing. No mention of the rod verses. Did I listen to the wrong part?

Rbonmom
12-11-2006, 08:31 PM
It's part 3 that punkie was talking about. I didn't listen to 1, why was it disturbing?

Ali
12-11-2006, 08:42 PM
by holding to a rigid inerrancy view we are actually coming up with unBiblical and extraBiblical ideas.

I just wanted to say that was very profound. You put into words what I've been trying to for a while now! Thanks!

herbalwriter
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
It's part 3 that punkie was talking about. I didn't listen to 1, why was it disturbing?

I was just disturbed by the way the speakers were setting themselves over scripture, to judge it, when really it judges us. It just seemed so lofty to me. :shrug

But I will listen to part 3 - I am curious.