PDA

View Full Version : Do/did you regret carrying to sleep?

JJsMom
12-02-2006, 07:40 PM
My 7 week old dd sleeps so well in the sling! My ds can be pretty loud during the day, so if I lay her down, he usually wakes her up very quickly, but she sleeps through it or will go right back to sleep if she's in the sling. If she is really fussy/tired, I can put her in the sling and generally she'll fall asleep in about five minutes and sometimes will sleep for hours. During that time, I can get things done or spend time with ds. I don't feel like I have to be constantly telling him to be quiet and I just feel more relaxed with her in the sling.
Here's the problem...I'm afraid I'm going to regret this. I'm afraid that in a few months I'll be kicking myself that she will only go to sleep in the sling. The sleep training books are echoing in my head and I feel guilty for always having her in the sling. :blush
Did anyone sling to sleep? Did you eventually regret doing it?
(Could your back withstand it? :giggle)

milkmommy
12-02-2006, 08:00 PM
nope enjoy it..

Deanna

AmyDoll
12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Yes, enjoy it. I love that Nicholas will still sleep in the Bjorn. And that he sleeps soooo well there! He's getting heavier - that's for sure! Once he's just a smidge older we'll start a bedtime/naptime routine and transisiton him just because my shoulders won't be able to handle it! But I can't blame him for wanting to sleep all snuggled next to his momma's heartbeat and warm body. It must be such a comfort to him :heart

Katigre
12-02-2006, 09:01 PM
My DS is like that - naps well when worn or cosleeping, and naps terribly otherwise. I love wearing him to sleep - i do it for one nap (at least) each day and it works well. I anticipate continuing to do this until he outgrows napping or stops wanting to be worn. It makes my life a lot easier, and i love the cuddling time - when he is awake he wants to be down and play, so naps and nursing are the two times I really get to snuggle.

Punkie
12-13-2006, 05:56 PM
My dd would sling to sleep every night from the time she was born until she was 8 months old. A lot of people warned me that she'd never be able to fall asleep any other way. Then after she hit 8 months, she magically didn't need it anymore. :shrug I have no regrets at all :grin It was a great bonding time and I wouldn't trade it for anything :grin

JJsMom
12-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Thanks everyone! Your posts helped me to feel comfortable with my decision and now I can't imagine doing it any other way! Right now my dh is building a wall downstairs and he is doing A LOT of hammering and here she is, sound asleep, in the sling. :tu And I don't have to worry so much about my ds being loud and I don't have to be running in and checking on her constantly! Oh and she doesn't need me to sling her to go to sleep at night, I nurse her in bed and she falls right to sleep!
I realized the other day that I have been having her in the sling for about 8 hours per day! :jawdrop :giggle I'm really getting in shape fast! :giggle
What kind of sling do you use for naps? I love the pouch but my shoulder gets so sore!

blessedwithboys
12-14-2006, 09:21 AM
We don't regret it at all! Ds was nursed/slung/carried to sleep as a baby, then rocked to sleep. He mostly coslept until a year old (maybe a bit older?). Now at 2 he skips (literally) off to his own bed and just wants to be tucked in after bath and books! :rockon Do what works mama! You're making her feel secure and loved. :amen

If your shoulder is hurting can you lower her down still in the sling into a safe place (crib, moses basket, playpen, your lap)? I could usually slowly lower him down and leave the sling around him like a swaddling blanket and it worked well. :tu

pianogirl
12-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I wear my ds to sleep all the time. Sometimes wrapping him is the only way I can get him to sleep becuase he is so distractable. I am not worried he will transition when he is ready. Although unlike is sister he will let me lay him down after he goes to sleep, which is really nice. You asked about what to wear them in since your shoulder is getting sore. I would highly suggest you look into a wrap or a mei tai. I use a wrap all the time. I used to only use a ring sling, but learned to wrap with my son and am so glad I did. He is 20-21 lbs and he is 5 months old, so being able to do a two shoulder carry was something I needed to learn. Hope you can find something that works for you too.

raquel
01-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Definitely look into getting a two shouldered sling like the mei tai or wrap. If you are in a warm weather part of the country/globe then the MT is probably your best bet. I find they're cooler in the long run than the wrap but maybe a light material wrap wouldn't be too bad.

At this stage my 6mo DD won't nurse to sleep during the day but I can "wear" her to sleep and then in the morning I'll lay her down and she'll sleep for about 1-2hrs on her own! This is my baby that would never sleep on her own! :) :) And in the afternoon sometimes I'll wear her for a little while but she usually wakes up after 45 min if she's in the sling (too much excitement happening around me) or I'll try laying her down adn if she wakes up I'll lay and nurse her to try to get her to rest a bit longer.

At night after a bath I can nurse her down (which takes about 30min or so) and then she'll usually sleep on her matress (which is on the floor beside our mattress) until the middle of the night sometime. She is defintiely growing up from the little only sleeps attached to me baby I had several months ago. I do NOT regret carrying her and wearing her for all her naps. It's such a precious feeling to have such a warm and relaxed little body/person cuddled up against me. :)

mon
01-08-2007, 02:49 PM
My dd would sling to sleep every night from the time she was born until she was 8 months old. A lot of people warned me that she'd never be able to fall asleep any other way. Then after she hit 8 months, she magically didn't need it anymore. :shrug I have no regrets at all :grin It was a great bonding time and I wouldn't trade it for anything :grin

mon
01-08-2007, 03:28 PM

mon
01-08-2007, 03:31 PM

Same for us. I don't remember when he started to fall asleep on the bed, but now that he's 2 he doesn't need to be carried to sleep.

I don't regret a bit, either.