PDA

View Full Version : Now I've gone and done it...UPDATED****

Titus2Momof4
11-21-2006, 07:10 PM
I've begun a debate about spanking with a group of conservative women :shifty. Well, I'm off to scope out Crystal's articles again about specific verses, because that is where we are at now. For some reason, I can sit down and read some deep stuff about verses, etc, and totally understand it and be in agreement about it at the time, bible in hand - but when asked about it later, I only have "surface" answers. I need the deep stuff now. LOL

What is funny is that when I first began posting here again, I simply was not going to spank for the most part. Then it turned to not spanking at all. And now has turned to my being a proponent for not spanking. The good thing, though, is that when engaging in these types of conversations, it's actually *good* for me (especially me, who has fallen off the track before), because it helps solidfy to me why I believe in something. For instance, I remember telling these ladies (who refer to "biblical disicpline"=spanking) that the Bible tells us to discipline (teach) our kids, and that spanking is not *teaching* anything. It is behaviorism (thinking back to when I was a Psych major - now I'm Sociology, btw) plain and simple :shrug. Pain being inflicted does not *teach* a child anything. This reminds me of those electronic dog collars. Sorry that is gory, but is true. The dog isn't learning anything - he's merely learning not to go past that tree or else ZAP. My argument was further helped by a woman who said she did spank her kids, and to this day she sees a kid having a "fit" in the store and thinks why not just spank that child. I said that I would see the child as having a meltdown and think, "maybe he's hungry, maybe he's tired, maybe he's been dragged around all day, or, maybe the parents have taught him that this method of screaming is profitable (parents fault)". But THEN- this same lady said that if she could do it over, she would NOT spank. Why? Because she saw over the years the *anger* and resentment that built up in her kids' eyes towards her, particularly in the later years. I am sorry that she dealt with that, but yes yes yes that is what I was *always* SO afraid of with spanking!!

katiekind
11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
But THEN- this same lady said that if she could do it over, she would NOT spank.

Well, now, that's interesting, isn't it? She seems to have two different views that conflict with each other. I wonder, perhaps she has not ever taken out the beliefs that have accumulated in her mind over the years and made an attempt to sort them out. I have a feeling my theology is that way! :shifty :O So I'm not condemning her at all. We all have topics where we develop an opinion carefully and other topics where we simply accumulate opinions and experiences the way an attic accumulates treasures and junk. :grin

Godspeed to you in this conversation.

Titus2Momof4
11-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I think you are right - she has even stated that she seems to go back and forth in this conversation, but that she is truly interested in hearing the nonspanking support. I think it is very very telling that she says that if she could do it over, she wouldn't (particularly since not 2 minutes before that she was saying a child should be spanked.) After I pointed out what *I* would be thinking of said child in the store, she agreed and said I was probably more than likely right (about the possible underlying issues.)

*gearing up for what could be a great convo*

UltraMother
11-21-2006, 08:18 PM
What is funny is that when I first began posting here again, I simply was not going to spank for the most part. Then it turned to not spanking at all. And now has turned to my being a proponent for not spanking.

:giggle
Funny how that happens...

Titus2Momof4
11-21-2006, 08:21 PM
I know. I really remember my first post saying that I don't think all spanking is bad or something like that. Now I am sitting here looking to the Bible and criticizing the verses that "support" spanking. (well not criticizing the verses.....you kwim. I'm pointing out the logical flaws, I guess.)

CelticJourney
11-22-2006, 07:22 AM
Sounds like that lady you mentioned is listening to her insticts, but is asking you for some reason so that she can understand why not spanking is best and perhaps to defend herself. She is looking for the intellectual reasons to support the emotional reaction. :yes Glad you are there to help her!

Crystal as some very good explainations of the versed traditionally used to support spanking and explains why that interpretation is flawed.

Titus2Momof4
11-22-2006, 01:23 PM
Sounds like that lady you mentioned is listening to her insticts, but is asking you for some reason so that she can understand why not spanking is best and perhaps to defend herself. She is looking for the intellectual reasons to support the emotional reaction. :yes Glad you are there to help her!

Crystal as some very good explainations of the versed traditionally used to support spanking and explains why that interpretation is flawed.

Yes, I did not have time to type it all out in my own words, so I mentioned that I was going to c&p something from a website and I snipped a bit here and there from Spanking Files. :)

This isn't too hard for me to do, since I have never believed the bible commands us to spank - even though I have gone back and forth between spanking and not spanking. My reasonings never had anything to do with the bible, and I have always as much as said so. My reasons had to do with "it works", "its quicker", blah blah blah.

Titus2Momof4
11-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, sadly, now I have been accused of playing "word gymnastics". Its funny- most of these ladies I am discussing this with (if not ALL) believe that the Bible commands women to be dresses only, sahms only, etc And, they will fight to the CORE to prove their point. *BUT*- when I c/p'd some stuff of Crystal's, that would help explain why I do not believe those verses to be commanding us to spank, suddenly I am accused of playing "word gymnastics." It's like the effort is given to prove their points, but when I try to prove mine, I'm playing word games. :rolleyes Whatever.

joyful mama
11-23-2006, 03:37 PM
:hugheart that's tough!! People will want to believe what they want... :hugheart

fourbygrace
11-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Tasha,

:hugheart You are very courageous for trying to discuss this with these ladies. You are challenging the core of who they are and everything they believe to be truth. I don't think you can convince them otherwise, but it is great to plant the seeds in their minds.

I have no friends IRL that do not spank (except one who is in the process of adopting and technically she is not even a mom yet; she just does not believe in spanking.). I have not "come out of the closet" yet as to my opposition to spanking. I am not confident in my ability to do GBD in the first place and I feel inadequate to explain the "rod" verses. I am planning to do an in-depth rod study so I can remember all the Hebrew meanings that go with the verses.

Blessings,
Mary