PDA

View Full Version : More musings from another former spanker

Titus2Momof4
11-20-2006, 08:21 AM
Wasn't sure whether this should be here or in GD- feel free to move if needed.

I have been pondering some things for the past week or so, and have been meaning to write up a "journal" on this, but have not had time. I finally am done writing this, with many breaks in between LOL. I want to post this, though, for my own benefit (you know, talking through things, rambling, etc. LOL) but also for the benefit of others who may have been in my shoes, or may be on the fence, or may be spanking but secretly wishing they could get by with NOT spanking. I know that it isoften hard to even fathom not spanking, when you are spanking and the kids still seem like heathens, so you think how much worse this would be if you were NOT spanking.

As I have said several times before, this is not my first visit to GCM (visit meaning actively posting). I have tried GCM/GBD at least a couple times. Rather, I can remember a couple different usernames I have had, but I think that could have been due to the board re-vamping a couple years ago or something :think, because I can only recall posting here regularly once, but maybe I did before that, I dunno. My memory gets foggy going back more than a couple years LOL I do know, though, that we started our parenting journey out AP, then turned to spanking when the twins hit about 2.5. I know that when they were 4, and right before Noah was born, I was convinced to not spank anymore (actually, I just started hanging out on a healthy parenting list, and eventually it rubbed off on me I guess). Then when they were almost 5, we turned back to spanking, and then a few months ago, when they were almost 6 (somewhere around the beginning of August, b/c it was before we moved), we stopped. OK so I guess I do remember more than I thought! Mostly based on remembering what parenting we were practicing at different important events (a move, a birth, etc.) I just hope that history does not repeat itself anymore :blush It does help that this is the first time that my husband has been the one to suggest not spanking, so this time we are actually both on board- it can be hard when you want to not be spanking, but your own spouse is the one encouraging you to spank, or when the kids’ needs for discipline is causing strife, or when you are trying to not spank but your spouse actually IS spanking. He would say he is fine w/the no spanking, but when push came to shove and he was lost, he would spank. Eventually, I would end up back there too.

One of the things that I feel has also contributed, though, has been, looking back, in the past I have not been completely AP in my mindset/way of thinking. IOW, was trying to implement GD, while *thinking* punitively, I think. Let me give some examples:

I remember this distinctly because I remember that these couple of issues were the main things that I talked about to spankers when I ended up spanking again the last time. The first big issue was- one time we were in the Christian bookstore, and Abby and Lexi (who were then….4.5??) got upset about something, and threw themselves down on the floor in a meltdown (“fit”). The store was kind of quiet, as we were among the few people there. I was absolutely MORTIFIED, that 4.5 y/o’s would do this (this goes back to the tendency to expect more out of your oldest, just because they are the oldest, I think) I think I got in a huff, put down the stuff I had, and we all stormed out. We had been planning to take them to the park, and due to this, told them now they weren’t going. We decided to give them a chance- if they would go back in and apologize to the store personnel, they could still go. Well, they did, and we ended up going to the park. But overall, I was just livid that 4 .5 y/o’s would dare to do this.

Looking back on this *now*, I realize that we were essentially tying our hands to not spank, but still *thinking* in terms of punishment (not to mention, high expectations). If this were to happen today, say with my 4 y/o now, I would more than likely step outside w/her if her meltdown would not subside, and we would get to the bottom of this. I would also probably consider if she was tired, hungry, what have you, but in the end, if we had to leave we would leave. It happens to people sometimes :shrug. I see that taking away the park was definitely an arbitrary consequence, especially since I have a hard time taking away “outside running around time”, since I feel that kids REALLY REALLY need that. And in our case, at that time, we lived in an apt, and the kids could go DAYS and days w/o getting outside. But also, this was just one of those incidents, where you get through the moment, and move on. No need to dwell on it, really. Work at better behavior next time, perhaps with reminders before going in, or something.

Another thing that was a huge deal was our bedtime struggles. The kids would NOT get quiet and go to sleep at night. We were separating all three of the girls. They were still in the doorways of the rooms they were in, and laughing, playing, etc. Of course making us even MORE angry. They did not fall asleep until 10-11 and that made us sooooo upset (when they were put to bed at around 8). Looking back, there again, these kids were not getting regular outside/run around time, so they were probably just bursting with energy. But on top of that, the rules were just too much- expecting them to go in there and be absolutely SILENT and fall asleep. When we started spanking again, we began to “train” them (well, ME, rather- dh never wanted to do this), by sitting outside the door, paddle in hand, watching them, just waiting for someone to make a move. Months and months of this went on *sigh* and still it was the only way to get them to go to sleep. Well, fast forward to nowadays- I remember posting these woes here, too. It was suggested to me to not insist that they be SILENT when they are in there. Also we had figured out to remove the culprit (Loralai) who causes the most commotion, and so to this day she falls asleep on the couch beside me at bedtime. Amazingly since I quit insisting that they be silent, this isn’t an issue anymore. They talk, etc for a bit, and then fall asleep. As long as I can’t HEAR them, they are not bothering me (if I can hear them, then they are being too rowdy). :shrug

Well, this has really just been one of those “ponderings” type of things- probably better suited to be in a blog, if I was tech savvy enough to figure these “blog” things out :blush. I tried having one once, but couldn’t figure the darned thing out! Anyway, I am really hoping that history will not repeat itself. This time I am actually spending a great deal of time at the board (maybe too much….:shifty) in not only reading and learning, but also posting MY specific issues, and have gotten some great advice. I find that it also does not help much in trying to GD, if you are posting your problems on punitive lists, and not on GD lists (another thing that I think contributed to going back to spanking) I may have posted a couple issues here before, but never all my issues that I needed help with, and never ONLY this board (punitive e-lists too, I guess for advice on both sides of the fence to see what would work??) Not sure why I would do that (in hindsight) other than to try out several avenues to deal with things.

Anywho… I thought perhaps this musing might help someone, especially if they are on the fence about spanking/gentle discipline. I know there are others here who used to spank too, and I really like reading their posts especially, because they have worked through the same mental exercises/paradigm shift as I am working through. This would be a pretty neat thread, too, if others would contribute- reading these types of posts is always encouraging to me at least.

Benjaminswife
11-20-2006, 09:57 AM
I am so glad you posted this. I have never been a spanker but I do know exactly what you are talking about as far as still using punishment, even though you don't spank. My son is still young but I still am trying to figure out what GBD is really all about.

I have a lot of friends in the states and here on base for that matter, that are all really into punishment/spanking. I have always observed them and tried to figure out the differences in the way they parent and the way I want to parent. The more I do this the more I can see the difference and then the more confident I get with using GBD. It is just a completely different mindset and that has been the hardest thing for me to get. But once I realized that, I have started to learn more and more :)

mom2threePKs
11-20-2006, 10:04 AM
That is really fascinating to read. Thanks for posting that. I think you are right about the biggest hurdle being the switch from thinking punatively and acting with GBD tools to thinking "gracefully" and acting with GBD tools. I really really appreciate your honesty. Thanks again for sharing. :heart :heart

magan

Learninggentleness
11-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I have a lot of friends in the states and here on base for that matter, that are all really into punishment/spanking. I have always observed them and tried to figure out the differences in the way they parent and the way I want to parent. The more I do this the more I can see the difference and then the more confident I get with using GBD.

Would you mind sharing what those differences are ? I'm interested in reading your observations since this has led to you seeing differences more clearly and therefore being more confident with GBD. :)

Benjaminswife
11-20-2006, 10:33 AM
I have a lot of friends in the states and here on base for that matter, that are all really into punishment/spanking. I have always observed them and tried to figure out the differences in the way they parent and the way I want to parent. The more I do this the more I can see the difference and then the more confident I get with using GBD.

Would you mind sharing what those differences are ? I'm interested in reading your observations since this has led to you seeing differences more clearly and therefore being more confident with GBD. :)

Well one example I can think of is when friends of mine showed me a video of their 2-3 year old. She had found some markers and drawn all over herself with them. Not sure where the markers were. But on the video the little girl was saying that she had been "disobedient" by doing that and needed to be punished. The parents thought it was "cute" but it rubbed me the wrong way. The reason I thought of this is now I have a 2 year old boy. Just yesterday I gave him some new crayons and told him he needed to use them in his coloring book and not on the floor or the walls. Well things were going great and then he went over to the wall and started coloring on it. Well I took the crayons away for right then.

But it made me think, similar circumstances, similar ages, but different reactions. I kept thinking how what my son did or what the girl did would be "disobedient" I don't think my son saw the crayon, knew that I had told him not to and then went to go color on the wall to get back at me. I think he was having fun with the crayons and wondered what it would look like on the wall. Which I think would be normal for his age. Which is also why I got the washable crayons :) I see my job as a mom to teach him that we don't draw on walls and when we do we no longer have access to the crayon.

Now with the little girl I am sure she saw the markers and wondered how they would look on her face. She was exploring. I don't think she thought, "Well I want to get back at my parents and disobey so I will color on myself" Yet that is what the parents thought and how they reacted to her. To them she was "sinning" and "not obeying" no room for exploring on her part.

Anyway, I am slowly learning and trying to do my best and the incident with my son yesterday made me remember the video and the differences between the way things were handled. I hope that how I handled his crayons was GBD but as I am still learning maybe it isn't? I don't know, but I am learning :)

Titus2Momof4
11-20-2006, 10:36 AM
That is really fascinating to read. Thanks for posting that. I think you are right about the biggest hurdle being the switch from thinking punatively and acting with GBD tools to thinking "gracefully" and acting with GBD tools. I really really appreciate your honesty. Thanks again for sharing. :heart :heart

magan

You are welcome. It *is* hard to parent with GD, if your mindset is still punitive. Very hard. It's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Sounds cliche, but it's the best description I can think of. You HAVE to let go of the adverserial views of your kids, of always trying to "win" everything with them, of looking for power struggles ("training sessions", ala Pearl), of thinking they have to "learn" (by something bad happening to them), of viewing them as basically out to get you and make your days miserable, of viewing them as being "rebellious" at every turn (crystal has a great sticky on the idea of "defiance"), and as viewing them as overall in war with you constantly, paranoid that if you miss one iota infraction, they are going to be ruined. I think now, 3.5 months later, I am finally getting to where for the most part I have let go of this way of thinking (reading helps a lot), and am finally beginning to see the fruit of persistence. No, the kids did not respond to GD immediately. Well, in some ways, but not overall. In fact, they pushed even harder, testing my limits and testing whether I meant what I said. But I think we have finally just begun to get a grasp on this lifestyle. It will be a journey ahead of us still, but attachment is deifnitely in place, which is a great headstart.

And really, isn't the ultimate goal -between Christian punitive and gentle parents alike- to bring up Godly children, anyway?? What does being at war with your kids, considering them rebellious, etc all the time have to even do with bring up Godly children? I want my kids to be kind, loving, generous, self-less, empathetic and sympathetic, considerate people (among other things) It would seem that modelling these traits would be the best way, but also "do unto others", hence gentle discipline. This is another lightbulb I have had over the past couple of weeks. I did not come to this board to focus on how awful punitive parenting is or how terrible other people on other boards are. (Besides that, I have a very good friend who still practices that form of parenting, so I can't very well be bashing people, even though I dont' agree with the methods) I came here again to get help for my family, and focus on my family. Particularly now that I have my dh on board :heart, I do not want to find myself heading back down the punitive path. I am at complete liberty to practice GD in my home, with him on board, and that really helps! :tu (I won't talk about the fact that several times, he has come down on me for being too harsh, but again, moving on, not dwelling on my mistakes) He tends to be more gentle than me at times, which is more in line with his laid-back personality, and that is a huge help. :amen

SusansBF
11-21-2006, 01:59 PM
VERY helpful, thank you!

I am so new here that I just figured out that "Rose Trellis" isn't someone's name! lol I would have said I have "tried" GBD, but really I just tried being permissive. Now I am interested in kids doing right because they have learned and chosen right, not just because they fear the spanking...

Thanks again!!

katiekind
11-21-2006, 03:24 PM
I am so new here that I just figured out that "Rose Trellis" isn't someone's name!

:laughtears

Susan, that's too cute!!!!

Welcome to GCM. I hope you'll be encouraged in your mothering here. :hug

Titus2Momof4
11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
VERY helpful, thank you!

I am so new here that I just figured out that "Rose Trellis" isn't someone's name! lol I would have said I have "tried" GBD, but really I just tried being permissive. Now I am interested in kids doing right because they have learned and chosen right, not just because they fear the spanking...

Thanks again!!

:laughtears You poor thing!

Glad something could resonate with you ;) I'm hardly an expert, and as I've stated, have fallen off the track before. I hope that it will not happen again. The good thing is at least this time I have actually gotten to know several of the mamas here, on a more personal level, kwim? Feels more "home-y" (and will also serve as "accountability"). I am happy to have formed some friendships here. :) :heart

CelticJourney
11-21-2006, 06:12 PM
"Rose Trellis" isn't someone's name!

It took me forever to figure out what an 'avatar' is :yes Welcome!!

Titus2Momof4
11-21-2006, 06:40 PM
"Rose Trellis" isn't someone's name!

It took me forever to figure out what an 'avatar' is :yes Welcome!!

Well just call me Bouquet :)
*snicker*

SusansBF
11-25-2006, 10:37 PM
[/quote]

The good thing is at least this time I have actually gotten to know several of the mamas here, on a more personal level, kwim? Feels more "home-y" (and will also serve as "accountability").
[/quote]

Yes! Just trying to learn to navigate the boards!! So far so good. I definitely still have a "punitive" mindset, but still reading and learning!!

Titus2Momof4
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Yes! Just trying to learn to navigate the boards!! So far so good. I definitely still have a "punitive" mindset, but still reading and learning!!

I'm still coming out of it, of course, although I feel I'm much better now than when I first starting being so active here recently. I'm amazed sometimes at how far I must have come, usually when I am in conversations with others about stuff, and I am suprised at the things that come out of my mouth and how much sense it actually makes!! :tu Like tonight- I was explaining to dh the difference between punishment and consequences. He said that he thinks kids need punishments, and I disagreed. Well, the more we talked about it, the more it seems that we just have different terms for the same *idea*. He could see where some of the scenarios he gave, and what he would do and what I would do would differ (most scenarios it was the same, but there were a few that differed) He could see where some things that were just the first to come to his mind, had nothing to do with the behavior, and where my suggestions were logical consequences.

One scenario he gave was, what happens when they are say 15 and you tell them to do something and they say "NO!". I said this IMO goes back to how much you show them *now* while they are young, that your words mean something. I said that's another area where spanking is futile, to me. Because, if all you are pretty much used to doing is spanking, then you are going to be in for a rude awakening with a 15 y/o, since you can't spank them at that age. Then what?? I am hoping that with our form of discipline, it will be able to be carried on even when they turn 15. Not to mention, at 5 when they say "no" you GOYB and *make it happen* - when 15, you can't do that, but hopefully in the previous 10yrs they have learned some respect and have learned you mean what you say. He said that when he was young and would lose tv for a week or something, that he sure thought about how miserable that was the next time he considered breaking a rule again. I pointed out, respectfully, that obviously it didn't *really* work, because of the way his latter teen years turned out. I said all that did was make you worried about it a little bit the next time, but later Im sure that you only thought about how to *not get caught* later on. He couldn't help but agree, because it's true. :shrug I also pointed out that, similar with spanking, at 10 you can take away the computer for a week. By 15, that doesn't matter anymore, and so instead the kid is out smoking pot and running away, and what on earth are you going to do? No- I would much much rather have something that I can still use when they are teenagers (GD/GBD), at the same time establishing an awesome relationship with my kids, and my leap-of-faith here is that this will prove to be profitable in the future. :tu We came away from that conversation agreeing on things, still, so I'm happy. :)

CelticJourney
11-26-2006, 07:22 PM
One scenario he gave was, what happens when they are say 15 and you tell them to do something and they say "NO!".

Well, if you are relying on physical punishment to enforce your authority rather than building on a relationship of trust and teaching, in this scenario, you are really in trouble. And it happens again and again in authoritian households - children are dominated physcially and when the parent can no longer do that, there are no tools left to try and discipline him/her and they rebel in ways the parent never dreamed.

Titus2Momof4
11-27-2006, 05:59 AM
One scenario he gave was, what happens when they are say 15 and you tell them to do something and they say "NO!".

Well, if you are relying on physical punishment to enforce your authority rather than building on a relationship of trust and teaching, in this scenario, you are really in trouble. And it happens again and again in authoritian households - children are dominated physcially and when the parent can no longer do that, there are no tools left to try and discipline him/her and they rebel in ways the parent never dreamed.

:yes, exactly what I said. My dh was in no way suggesting spanking whatsoever. He was just throwing out a scenario, wondering what I would do since I had just stated that I don't use punishments with the kids. I really think, though, that he and I use the same things, we just call them different things (he'd never really heard of "consequences" when it comes to disciplining, for instance). We both totally agree with what you said though- that if spanking is all you've ever used, mostly, then you are in for a rude awakening when you can't do that anymore. :yes :yes :yes

SusansBF
11-27-2006, 11:19 AM
My dh and I just had a conversation last night! He was afraid that we are "divided": that I do it one way when he is not home and then he does it another way. I may not agree w/ everything he choses to do, but I do not contradict him...I figure the kids will start to feel better and then start acting better and he will eventually start seeking on his own about GBD or asking what is going on!

In fact, he was asked me a question about GBD and I told him I thought natural consequences were more effective and taught them how life works. It was much like Titus2 was saying, he was calling it punishment and I was calling it consequences. He just thought when they do wrong, something should happen to them and I agreed.

I said I think it is ineffective when Mom or Dad provides punishment w/ spanking(you must "pay" for what you did and then child learns "when I sin, I get spanked"). I think it is more effective for a child to see that his actions have consequences and what those consequences are. When I hit, I have to stop playing, when I make a mess, I have to clean it up, etc.

Titus2Momof4
11-27-2006, 04:04 PM
In fact, he was asked me a question about GBD and I told him I thought natural consequences were more effective and taught them how life works. It was much like Titus2 was saying, he was calling it punishment and I was calling it consequences. He just thought when they do wrong, something should happen to them and I agreed.

Well, generally speaking (not thinking of specific examples) I agree. However, my dh and I were talking, and I came to the point where I finally said- Not *everything* is a discipline issue to begin with. This is hard to think about, coming from punitive parenting, where not only is everything a discipline issue, but discipline issues are *sought out* often. Every single time they do something wrong, does not always call for a consequence. It takes a balanced approach though- otherwise there could lean towards permissiveness, which I have to catch myself from doing. It's usually when I'm feeling the most frustrated, the most like 'these kids dont listen!' that I realize I'm being permissive lately, and not GOMB as much, not making my words mean something after the FIRST time I tell them to do something, etc. Which is a nasty cycle, because that can be a breaking point and make you scream or smack. I haven't smacked in about a month now, which is the longest so far (it was every 2-3 wks I would just flip and end up giving a swat) but one thing that keeps me going even for the next time it happens is to remember that grace is for mamas too- just because you screw up and have a bad day doesn't mean the whole GBD thing goes down the drain. I make amends, apologize, move on, and tomorrow is a new day :) :)

SusansBF
11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree! The example of the mom having a bad day, does she need "discipline" or time by herself and comfort? I think this is more real world type of training also.

If a child is flying off the handle all the time, taking time to rest and/or talk it out will do more to teach growing kids how to handle themselves as adults.
:tu

Titus2Momof4
11-28-2006, 06:29 AM
I agree! The example of the mom having a bad day, does she need "discipline" or time by herself and comfort? I think this is more real world type of training also.

If a child is flying off the handle all the time, taking time to rest and/or talk it out will do more to teach growing kids how to handle themselves as adults.
:tu

Sounds so simple, but it is true! I've read several examples from gentle resources that have used adults as examples, just so you can put yourself in your kiddos shoes. If I am having a horrible day, probably not being my best at all, the last thing I would want would be someone to send me to my room because I said something mean, or worse- smack me a few times for acting bad, because I feel bad (or say, depressed about some stuff). I would much rather someone realize that I must be feeling bad, and sit down with me and talk to me, listen to what I have to say, empathize with me, maybe offer some solutions to whatever it is that is making me depressed, or perhaps offer to make me some hot tea and let me relax in my room with a good book. Well it's the same thing w/our kids!! I think about this often when I am tempted to be doling out a punishment.