PDA

View Full Version : our kids' church curriculum

Nightingale
11-16-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm prepping right now for kids church for Sunday...we use a curriculum from Group Publishing, and so far I am thrilled with what they're saying.

The lesson is about Balaam and the talking donkey...when I was reading the information part of the lesson for the leader, I was getting nervous about the lesson, thinking I might need to skip it or alter it. It wast alking about focusing on how God helps us to obey.

Well, here's something that is just so perfect, and I think really helps me define GBD better...

"God is the perfect father! God not only tells us what to do through is Word, but he loves us so much that he helps us do it! God sent the Holy Spirit to help us understand what God wants us to do. And the Holy Spirit helps us love God so that we obey him out of love, not because we're afraid of him. Isn't God the greatest? Let's worship him for that!"

I was so excited to read that...and I think I might share it with dh and see if it could work to change his perspective at all.

Maggie
11-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow! That's excellent!!!!! :tu :tu

CelticJourney
11-16-2006, 05:35 PM
:yes

Titus2Momof4
11-16-2006, 06:40 PM
I really like stuff I've seen from Group. :tu on your Sunday lesson :)

fourbygrace
11-30-2006, 03:42 PM
At least one of the men who works for Group Publishing is GBD dad. :tu His wife used to be on GCM, but now fellowships elsewhere to discuss graceful parenting. ( 'Nuf said as I don't know the whys or whats about that one.)

Mary

Paz
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
:tu :tu

katiekind
12-04-2006, 01:09 PM
I used a curriculum from Group when we were teaching the preschool class at church and found it to be excellent in that respect. Also the pages you could send home for the parents were very supportive and educated parents on ways to encourage their children that are age-appropriate. :tu

Katherine
12-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm visiting a church now (just twice so far) that uses flyers titled "gosel light FAMILY TIME" with a "parent talk" section on the back.

This weeks section has me :jawdrop :tu :heart Here's how it starts...

"Good discipline is not what we do to a child but what we do with and for him or her. Our goal should be to help him or her grow toward self-control in knowing and doing what is good. Loving guidance creates a positifve atmosphere for learning! Here are some ways to create that atmosphere: [and the points I'll summarize and paraphrase]

Love and accept them as they are.
Get on their eye level.. listen attentively.

*verbatim quote here* "When behavior is out of bounds, kindly redirect the child tell the child what he or she may do as well as what he or she may not do."

Model the behaviors you want to see
Use routines and predictability to provide security
Make special spaces for children to live, word, and--especially--PLAY!

I was thrilled with this... :mrgreen ( of course then the pastor shared in that jovial, good-natured, approving way how his father had once corporeally disciplined him for expressing disappointment over a Christmas present from his aunt. :hunh :/ )