PDA

View Full Version : Quick! I need some info. on the Tripps to email to my MOPS group! Update in OP!!

hey mommy
11-10-2006, 04:17 PM
One of the members just emailed everyone about a Tripps conference coming up this in December. apparently it was recomended to her, so she is recomending it to everyone else.. What can I do???????

Okay, so the woman who sent the email replied to me.. Here is her response. :(

Janice-
We're up late, aren't we!
Thank you for the heads up. I had the same sort of problem with Crossroad's Parenting class taught by the Ezzos. There is a lot of controversy there, too. My husband and I talked about it, though. He thinks it is sometimes warranted to find out what you DON'T agree with to help solidify what you do agree with. Whatever. We decided to take the class, and I haven't
disagreed with one thing yet, but I am glad that I was warned and consider their words that much more carefully.
Maybe at some point we will have a discussion on discipline at MOPS. Might start a fistfight, though!
Anyways, I would HATE for a mom who doesn't know any better to be led down the wrong path.
Hope you are enjoying your new home-

I didn't realize our church led an Ezzo class. :( I haven't been there in 3 yrs. b/c we moved away. Wondering if I should look for new churches. There are a lot in the area....

Titus2Momof4
11-10-2006, 04:47 PM
(keeping in mind I personally don't know anything about this guy, but I've heard he's :td)

You could send a "reply all" saying something like "I don't think we'll/I'll be going- from what I've read about him, I don't care for him, and have some serious concerns...." Now, that might seem rude (in her eyes) that you would reply to her "invitation" with negativity.... but personally I don't see it as being ANY different than her making the unasked-for announcement that the guy is coming :shrug If she can promote him, why can't you say you don't care for him?

CelticJourney
11-10-2006, 08:00 PM
He says if you spank and your child does not display a sweet attitude, then they need to be spanked again (spank'em till they're sweet) and he says that there is a 'heart-bottom connection', meaning you can change the heart by hitting the bottom.

herbalwriter
11-10-2006, 08:11 PM
He says if you spank and your child does not display a sweet attitude, then they need to be spanked again (spank'em till they're sweet) and he says that there is a 'heart-bottom connection', meaning you can change the heart by hitting the bottom.

:hunh

Maybe that's why I am tired - I am sitting on my heart - :hunh

hey mommy
11-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Okay. But are there any links I can send to them?

herbalwriter
11-10-2006, 09:10 PM
This one looks interesting: http://www.matthiasmedia.com.au/briefing/archives/parent_parenting.htm

CelticJourney
11-10-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't know of any sites that are the equivelant to Ezzo.info, but this thead has some good quotes you can use.

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=230.0 (last post)

hey mommy
11-11-2006, 12:45 AM
Thanks.. She also does our monthly newsletter, so would there be any GD/GBD articles I could submit to her?

hey mommy
11-11-2006, 02:03 AM
Okay, well, I wrote a big reply and sent it just now.. Now I'm super nervous. I'm new to the MOPS group. I used to go, but that was almost 3 yrs. ago and there are a lot of different people now. This particular lady has always kind of rubbed me the wrong way for some reason(maybe that's why??) when I knew her before. her son was just an infant then and I checked her car seat for her. For some reason, some things she said just didn't sit well w/me.. I can't remember now what it was though.. I guess we'll see what happens!!!

I would still like an article for the newsletter though, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!!

CelticJourney
11-11-2006, 04:28 AM
at the top of the page there is a tab for 'articles and resources' (I forget they are there)

Titus2Momof4
11-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I think her response sounded ok-- I mean, not the best news, I know- but I mean that she definitely sounded open?? At least she didn't get all defensive and accusatory towards you. Doesn't sound like she is interested in changing her mind or anything at this point, but she is open to having a discussion about discipline at MOPS, so that is really positive! :hug

hey mommy
11-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah, that's true... She's the 'communications' leader, so maybe she can get something going that wouldn't be too bad.. I sure need to arm myself first though!

Titus2Momof4
11-12-2006, 05:32 AM
Yeah, that's true... She's the 'communications' leader, so maybe she can get something going that wouldn't be too bad.. I sure need to arm myself first though!

Yep..arm yourself, and then YOU could be the GD spokesperson when you have the MOPS meeting on discipline :cool

Joy7
11-12-2006, 10:04 AM
My church had in their bulletin that they were going to have a discussion on his book during our mid week service, so I was instantly alarmed and felt we should read the book to have our own opinion to be prepared to discuss it. The book claims that parents can save their children from death by punishing them! That is theologically wrong. Only Christ can.save one from death through his gift of salvation. It says we are Biblically mandated to spank or to be in disobediance to God. Not true. It says we can make their hearts sweet by spanking- we can't change their hearts only Christ and the Holy Spirit can, and the influence we do have doesn't involve punishment as a motivator.

Things we can do as parents: tell them the Gospel and live like we believe it, serve our children in love, prevent them from doing things to hurt themselves and others, and point them in the way to go. :heart I think avoiding these duties and responsiblities would be in disobedience to God.

My prayers to you as you defend the Gospel. :mrgreen

hey mommy
11-12-2006, 10:20 AM
Thank you for the information. I've never read the book and I've never even SEEN the book. I've never heard of the Tripps or Pearls until I came here, so I've got a lot to learn. I was 'raised' by Dobson(according to my parents), so that's all I know. Sadly I too believed it up until about 6-7 months ago.

ArmsOfLove
11-12-2006, 10:24 AM
Just read the update--sounds like she's friendly and appreciated the heads' up. I would also suggest that he is going to leave his most extreme ideas out of a public engagement. Though I have heard a pastor's sil talk about spanking his 6mo and beaming with pride about it while his fil stood by proudly :cry Maybe you both just have very different approaches or she hears those things as "stories and examples" and not "teachings" :shrug

hey mommy
11-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Here is a reply I got from another mom
As with anything you read or conferences you go to you can not take all
things said to heart you have to weed out the good and notice the bad...Take
things with a grain of salt!!! As for me I want to do the right thing for
me and my family (KIDS) and that is different with each family. what works
for you may not work for me and vice versa. I believe a little of what
Jancice talks about but I also believe what Tedd Tripp talks about but that
does not make me a bad mother or person!

ArmsOfLove
11-12-2006, 02:02 PM
what is with the irrational fear of being labeled a "bad parent" as though that is what everyone is out there trying to point fingers at? :banghead

CelticJourney
11-12-2006, 02:32 PM
...and why is it that people are so afraid to be discerning of what they believe and what they passively approve. If we stuck to our core scriptural beliefs and stopped giving a quiet knod to bad teachings, I don't think the practice of Christianity would be as watered down and weak as it is today.

Titus2Momof4
11-12-2006, 07:02 PM
what is with the irrational fear of being labeled a "bad parent" as though that is what everyone is out there trying to point fingers at? :banghead

seriously!

I actually kinda started to laugh at the "just because I choose something different doesn't make me a bad mother!!!" thing.... This person sound more into the Tripp, and maybe a little less open-minded.

I still think having a discipline MOPS meeting is a great idea. :tu