PDA

View Full Version : Formation of a conscience?

Can Dance
11-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Someone needs to help my befuddled self try to figure this one out in GBD language.

this is why it came up. DD1 woke up and wanted to eat. She asked for oatmeal, I said sure and went to prepare it for her. While I was making it she found a chocolate bar that had gotten pushed under the fridge and then pushed out from under the fridge. :doh so she wants it. I tell her no, you need to eat your oatmeal first and then you may have your chocolate bar. I leave the kitchen, she comes out and has climbed onto a chair and her mouth is full of her savoury treat. now I am ticked. I am annoyed with myself that I didn't put it up high enough but also annoyed with her for getting it. she literaly opens her mouth to show me her candy. *sigh*. of course my SIL is watching this whole thing. TBH, at this point we weren't exactly having the best day. I was frustrated with her, she was cranky with me, etc, etc. Well I took it out of her mouth. she freaked out. yada yada. I was trying REALLY hard to think of what to do, when I decided to cuddle with her. :phew disaster avoided. that was exactly what she needed, to reconnect with her mama, and what was I needed to quite frankly.

anyway, the point of this story. I started to wonder, because I chose not to punish her in this instance (I dont consider taking the candy away from her punishment, though maybe you do , I felt it was more of a consistency thing), when do children develop a concious that pushes them to "confess" or whatever? What is the GBD view of such a thing?
:popcorn

abbiroads
11-07-2006, 08:12 PM

RubySlippers
11-07-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't know what "conscience" has to do with your situation, but....

I have experienced this type of scenario a few times. I'm more matter-of-fact than angry. I remind her the treat was for after the meal, not before. I ask her to take it out of her mouth and if she doesn't, I offer to help her. If she still doesn't volunteer, I remove it. Afterwards, I give her a hug and reinforce that the treat comes after the meal. My dd won't eat at all if she gets something before a meal. :rolleyes After the meal, dd can ask for a treat and I will give it to her OR I will offer the treat and reinforce that treats come after the meal.

Amber
11-09-2006, 12:31 AM

Six Little Feet
11-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Well impulse control is low at that age. I think you handled it just fine :hug

I am sure having you SIL watch the whole thing wasn't fun either.