PDA

View Full Version : Best book for spanking parents?

hopefromgrace
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I need some advice as to what book you think I should give my friend.
We had a great talk last night about spanking :tu at first when the topic came around and there were a couple pro-spankers, I was like :shifty :no2 oh nooooo, not this(My last big talk I had with a spanking mama was horrible, we said horrible things to each other and it was not a good experience :no2), but then I was able to share my thoughts on it all, and parenting as Jesus, GBD, pro-active parenting etc...and it was recieved so great :tu I think she just does it, b/c that's what they think christians are "supposed" to do and don't know of alternatives....she was open, but I sense that it is more her husband(who is my assistant pastor and home group leader) who is more into spanking and definately more punitive. So, I do want to be sensitive, as they are my friends and family in Christ. I don't want to cause division in their house, but feel like they would greatly benefit from gentle parenting.
SOOOOOO, anyways these are the books I have and I am wondering what you ladies think would be the best one to give to them to introduce them to all this while being easy to read and in a loving way.

~How would Jesus raise a child(I am leaning towards this one, I actually just got it and haven't even read it yet, but the little I have read sounds great, and I actually ordered it with my friend in mind...thinking it would be a good gift!....those of you who have read it, is it a good "gentle christian" book???)

~Biblical Parenting(crystal)

~Grace-Based Parenting
Those are all the ones I have that I think would pertain to them.
I am open to buying more books if anyone has a suggestion of a great book that would be good for this kinda thing!
Any my other friend(who doesn't spank :tu was like"I haven't heard of any christian books, resources, etc...that speak of this gentle parenting" and wanted books and I told her about this website :tu and I'm just stoked to be able to share s/t that I feel so passionately about and actually have it be recieved!
Anyways, sorry I rambled :) Thanks for reading and for any book suggestions.

Punkie
11-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I think that Heartfelt Discipline and Families Where Grace is in Place are both great books for parents who are learning to overcome the spanking mindset. HD is written by a former spanker, which a lot of spankers appreciate for whatever reason. Also, both are written by men, and although it drives me insane :crazy a lot of people want to get their advice on parenting from men only.

MarynMunchkins
11-07-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd do Heartfelt Discipline. It's great for those people who think spanking is what you're supposed to do.

Strumbelina
11-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd do Heartfelt Discipline. It's great for those people who think spanking is what you're supposed to do.

:tu I did love How Would Jesus Raise a Child though. Both books are great and offer......different things.

Katydid
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I also agree with Heartfelt Discipline as a great "intro to non-spanking discipline" :tu I think Biblical Discipline is best for those who are already open to GBD. :yes And I haven't read the other one you mentioned. :shrug

CJ
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I've read all the ones you mentioned and my vote is for Heartfelt Discipline for all the reasons mentioned by pps. I loved Grace-based Parenting too but I think HD deals more specifically with the spanking issue.

Mamatoto
11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
How Would Jesus Raise a Child :tu Loved that...although it is called Jesus on Parenting now. :-)

hopefromgrace
11-08-2006, 03:53 PM
thanks for all the suggestions!
I just ordered Heart Felt Discipline and think I will give that to them and then the Jesus/parent one :tu
Please pray that they will be open to this book and that it will speak to their hearts :heart :pray
Thanks!