PDA

View Full Version : My homeschooling vision

CJ
11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Currently my DS6.5 is in a Spanish immersion program at our PS. He loves it, we love it---being bilingual is a high value for our family. DD4.5 is in a private preschool as was DS6.5 before kindergarten. Now there is a chance we will be moving to another state. I have always said that homeschooling is an appealing option to me--especially if we were in a situation where we needed another option temporarily. This move would be a 2-4 year period. After that, we would definitely move, likely back to this area. So for 2 reasons I want my kids to proceed with the two languages/immersion education: 1/ bilingualism is a high value for our family and 2/ If we do come back here, I would want my kids to have the option of continuing in the Spanish immersion program in this county. In the place we may move to, there may be viable options in the PS for Spanish immersion. But if those options to not pan out, I would consider HSing the second option. So, here's my hsing vision. I would like your opinions about how feasible it would be and any links or resources that you think could be helpful in the event I do explore this option.

My hsing vision:
Coop with at least one other hsing family whose primary language is Spanish. Two days a week I would have all the kids for a multi-age, integrated, science or social studies-thematic time of reading/writing workshop and hands-on experiences. During that time, English would be the language used. Two other days a week, the Spanish-speaking mom would do the same (different books, activities, same theme) in Spanish. I would probably purchase a comprehensive math curriculum to do with my own kids for a bit at another time during the day. Day 5 could be reserved for field trips, library, independent work, catch-up, hanging out--whatever is most-needed at the time.

I was a school teacher in PS and private preschools for 9 years prior to having kids, so this vision is kind of a compilation of "best practices" that I gathered in my experience in 3 different states, 5 different schools. I do not want a "spanish curriculum"--that's not the same as an immersion experience as far as language-acquisition goes. I do speak/read/write Spanish--but barely fluently and I don't use it enough to give my kids what they need to develop spanish-proficiency. Besides, our relationship is established in English--difficult to change. What do you think the odds of finding a like-minded Hsing mom whose primary language is Spanish and who would want to do something like this? Any resource ideas? What do you think?