PDA

View Full Version : Best resource for science question

Chris3jam
11-01-2006, 08:18 AM
What is your best online resource for the question of "Why do ants [or lizards or whatever] not die when they fall from hiiiiiiggghhhhh places?" Something that is simple enough to explain to a 10, 8, and 5 yo.

Teribear
11-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I'd need to review my physics on this but I'm fairly sure it has everything to do with how light they are. What I'd do as an example is drop a sheet of paper and a book. The paper lands more 'gently' because its lighter and air resistance slows its fall. The heavier an object is the faster its acceleration due to gravity and the more 'impact' it makes when it hits the ground, which is why people would get hurt badly falling from really high places but insects and other small creatures might not. Does that make any sense? I teach physics but I'm trying to figure out how to bring it down to a primary school level.

Chris3jam
11-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Yeah, see, I was having trouble explaining the whole 'mass/ratio/gravity' thing. :giggle Kinda having the same problem of 'dumbing it down' - - or really, using language and references they can understand. :shrug